HTPC sound card - optical in

bobzdar

[H]ard|Gawd
So my trusty bioster ideq 330p finally bit it after 4 years - seems like the power supply which is basically not replaceable, but I was honestly pushing it for everything it was worth (x800xt followed by an 8800gt which were both pushing the power envelope) and had been contemplating a new build anyway.

So, that leads me to my dilemma - One of the many nice things about the biostar was that it had optical in, though it only supported stereo input. I had used it as basically my reciever powering my 5.1 surround sound using speaker fill - the main input was my ps3.

Now that I have a new system (see sig) going into the linked enclosure: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811204035

I need a sound card that supports 5.1 optical input as it's a good time to finally get surround sound from the ps3. My available ports are either usb or pci-e (both 1x and 16x), and there are a few options out there, the best deal being the sb pci-e cards from $60-$90. However, they appear to have numerous driver issues and sometimes lose sound in games altogether. The other options are $180 and up, which seems excessive as I could just buy a receiver for $120 with hdmi inputs and run everything through that (though I'd prefer not to have another mess of wires and more power draw in another box). Does anybody have a decent solution using their htpc as an audio reciever?

For that much I'll just get a standalone receiver. Budget is sub $150, and as I said, there are creative cards that can do it for $60, they apparently suck.

Back