HTPC Software

I built a HTPC around a year ago. I love it! I currently use XBMC 10 with it. I am thinking about upgrading it to 11, before that though, I was wondering...

What do other people use?

XBMC, Myth TV? Boxee? etc...

Definitely XBMC. Upgrading to Eden is super easy, just install the executable over the current. Boxee sucks, but I can't speak for Myth TV. Do you use it for any gaming or just media?

Definitely XBMC. Upgrading to Eden is super easy, just install the executable over the current. Boxee sucks, but I can't speak for Myth TV. Do you use it for any gaming or just media?
Mainly media, I have a separate PC for gaming.
I'm interested in Myth TV but not sure how it works..

Ah, yeah definitely XBMC. You already are familiar with it, and for media, I believe it is unmatched. Maybe someone else can chime in about Myth TV.

I do live TV and DVR along with everything else so obviously Windows Media Center on this end.

I use 7MC (live tv + DVR) and MediaBrowser for everything else.

Most of the community is now on XBMC and for good reasons.
Plex is gaining ground but I haven't used it myself.
WMC is still used by some die hards but it's looking dated now IMHO.

can you run XMBC in a VM with in windows?

i wanted to use my soon to be HTPC for regular usage at times but want to use XMBC also.. i guess i could dual boot but was thinking run it in in VM with in windows and go full screen when i want to use it? or would it not be able to properly use the vid card for decoding?

can you run XMBC in a VM with in windows?

i wanted to use my soon to be HTPC for regular usage at times but want to use XMBC also.. i guess i could dual boot but was thinking run it in in VM with in windows and go full screen when i want to use it? or would it not be able to properly use the vid card for decoding?

I'm confused, what OS are you running on the rig now?

duh me! thats right...

it will likely run windows 7 once i get it... completely forgot there was the windows executable..lol

Back