HTPC remotes

Hiapo

n00b
Is the K00r the one to get? I will mostly be using it with XBMC, all my movies will be stored on same computer. Very minor websurfing, but I can see the plus side of having a keyboard handy.

I have done a bunch of looking and havent really sean anything that stands out, K00r seams like the best choice, but was wondering if there was a remote that would work that was more traditional?

I've given up on HTPC remotes quite a few years ago. There are a lot of good remote control applications for smart phones these days. Not sure if this is something you'd want to look into. I use myremote for android, and if I am using my surface, I use Ceton's "my media center"

Sorry I ment the K400r from logitec, I am looking for something with a keyboard and maybe an air mouse or mouse like deviece.

This is what I've got:

http://www.amazon.com/Azend-MediaGa...F8&qid=1397154804&sr=8-12&keywords=mce+remote

I use EventGhost as my IR mapper. It's a fantastic combo. It'll even remotely power on the PC (due to the mobo I have actually).

For keyboard, I use this:

http://www.amazon.com/Multimedia-Ke...=1397154952&sr=8-2&keywords=rf+media+keyboard

IMO it's a lot better RF wireless keyboard than the Logitech K400. Better range, better mouse (ball mouse vs trackpad), and both mouse keys are on the left instead of the right.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
i use a remote with eventghost and xbmc

what does the keyboard and touchpad do?

I use a Harmony remote with a standard USB IR receiver for a remote.

For a mouse/KB I use a Logitech DiNovo Mini or my Moto X with Unified Remote.

What about using a flirc and my tv remote, has anyone gone that route? I will still get some type of keyboard for system maintance.

If you go that route you may as well get an actual Media Center remote whose buttons will all work without much trouble.

What specifically do you want? For gaming and such most of these are going to be garbage. I run a Logitech K340 and a precision mouse. Its decent, not as good as mechanical and wired mice though. If I didn't game I would probably just stick with unified remote on a smart phone. It has pretty much everything. And newer smart phones have IR emitters and software to control the TV etc....

I've given up on HTPC remotes quite a few years ago. There are a lot of good remote control applications for smart phones these days. Not sure if this is something you'd want to look into. I use myremote for android, and if I am using my surface, I use Ceton's "my media center"

me too. My $200 Logitech Harmony One has been collecting dust for a few years now. I find using a keyboard/touchpad unit to be far more intuitive and flexible.

What specifically do you want? For gaming and such most of these are going to be garbage. I run a Logitech K340 and a precision mouse. Its decent, not as good as mechanical and wired mice though. If I didn't game I would probably just stick with unified remote on a smart phone. It has pretty much everything. And newer smart phones have IR emitters and software to control the TV etc....

Very little gaming more than likely, but I would like to play some BF4 on it. Mostly just file managment, and running XBMC.

me too. My $200 Logitech Harmony One has been collecting dust for a few years now. I find using a keyboard/touchpad unit to be far more intuitive and flexible.

Good to know, I am leaning towards a keyboard with touch pad, but wouldnt mind being able to play some games on it either.

Good to know, I am leaning towards a keyboard with touch pad, but wouldnt mind being able to play some games on it either.
I personally use a K400r along with xbox controllers for basic functionality and the majority of my gaming in the living room. In the rare instance I want to do keyboard/mouse gaming from the couch I also have an MX Performance mouse tucked away in the coffee table that is unified to the same USB receiver as the K400r. Without much hassle I have all the basic HID options available (except for a wheel): keyboard/trackpad, keyboard/mouse and gamepad.

I also use a Harmony 650, but it doesn't have anything to do with my PC anymore. I just don't mess with EvenGhost or the like anymore.

I use the Harmony One with a generic HP IR blaster. It works well with WMC. I'm able to set touch buttons for things like videos, recorded tv, etc.

Very little gaming more than likely, but I would like to play some BF4 on it. Mostly just file managment, and running XBMC.

Well unfortunately any amount of gaming in a typical FPS at all is going to require a decent mouse and keyboard.

I have a Harmony 670 with a MediaGate IR receiver. It works just as any other DVR/cablebox + remote would. But then, my HTPC is ONLY a HTPC, and I don't game or web browse on it, so it lives in Media Center/XBMC.

I also have a Logitech K400 for the times when I do need a mouse/keyboard, and I have no complaints about it either.

Back