HTPC remote Q's

j282

Limp Gawd
Right now I have a streamzap remote and it works great with my pc, but it obviously can work my other components. I just built a second HTPC and it will be just the computer and monitor (no reciever, tv screen, etc..). So I'm going to move the streamzap to that system and get a new remote for my main HTPC. Anyhow, does anyone know the cheapest route I can go to control my pc, tv, a reciever, cd player, etc... I was looking at the firefly because it is RF, but I don't think it can control the tv and other components. I've been told about usb-uirt and some of the harmony remotes, but I was wondering if there is any cheaper way to do it. Or I guess the cheapest while still good remote that will work with usb-uirt. Also is usb-uirt something that all RF remotes must have? Does an RF remote control a tv all on its own? One other thing I want to be able to do is turn on and off my HTPC with the remote, can anyone tell me what I need. Right now I can turn it off but not on with the streamzap. Last question I'm using meedio and was wondering how hard it would be to setup up a for example harmony remote with that program. Sorry for the long list of Q's, I figure better to get them all out of the way with one post. Thanks for any suggestions.

Are you saying you already own a USB-UIRT? If so, then a Harmony would be easy. If not, you could skip buying a uirt and get a cheap MCE remote for PC control, then a Harmony to learn the MCE remote and control your other components. Harmony remotes are not really cheap, so for that money you might look at other options, check remotecentral.com and AVS Forum's remote board, a JP1 remote or some of the other universal lines might be cheaper. For really slick setups, there's even a few RF remotes with an IR blasting base station, so you get RF control for any device you have.

Also is usb-uirt something that all RF remotes must have?
If I recall (I don't own one), a USB-UIRT is a IR receiver, and has nothing to do with RF.

I'm using meedio and was wondering how hard it would be to setup up a for example harmony remote with that program
In general, it's easy. Specific remotes are what will determine how easy. The Harmony remotes have a lot of PC remote codes in their database, but I have found that it's easier to have a remote to teach a command to the Harmony. Meedio has barely basic support for the MCE remote (most buttons work, basic navigation works, some specific buttons do not work without some effort). There's also a few plugins for other remotes (including a USB-UIRT plugin). For my Meedio setup with an MCE remote, I found it was easier and better to use HIP to receive remote commands and pass them on to Meedio rather than rely on Meedio's way of using it. Once I had that up and running it was easy to transfer the commands over to my Harmony 680.

I don't yet own usb-uirt, but plan on going in that direction. I guess it would be better for me to buy the controller and the usb-uirt over the next month or so instead of wasting the money on another remote that will be isolated to only the pc. Since the usb-uirt is like 50 bucks can anyone recommend to me a harmony or another good remote that will function with it for around 50-75 tops. Also will I need any other software to configure this with meedio other than the plugins or am I set to go. Also what's HIP? Thanks for the help

I've been looking around and these seem to be in my near budget.
Sony RM-AV3000
Sony RM-AV3100 Universal Learning Touchscreen Remote Remote Controls (Really like this one)
Logitech Harmony 520 Advanced Universal Remote (I saw it for around 75, but don't know if that's right)

These were all around 75-80 can anyone tell me how good the sony 3100 with the touch screen is and also if anyone has any better ideas please tell me. Does anyone know a good place to buy remotes from on the web?

you could always get the official MCE remote as it comes with an IR receiver/blaster for $35

then buy the Harmony. That is what I was planning on doing whenever I venture into the HTPC realm. Although I have not verified that this idea actually works...

How about:

IRA 3 - $21.54
https://www.home-electro.com/ira3.php
DB9 -> RJ45 Adapter - $2.11

That will get you a serial-> IR interface in the computer.

Then look into the JP1 project. It will let you fully program any JP1 compatible remote to do anything and everything. There are a ton of JP1 compatible remotes out there.

I was just thinking of the ways I can go with this remote idea and was wondering if this would work. I have a G4 powerbook, an older one about 2001 I think. I was wondering if there is a way I could get a good quality view of meedio on my G4 with a VNC program, I screwed around with this before, but not using meedio or my other computer as an HTPC. I noticed that the G4 screen never displayed the PC that well though and was a little slow. Does anyone out there use a laptop as there remote? How could I do this, or is my Powerbook not well enough equipt for this (to old). -Thanks

Back