HTPC remote/keyboard/mouse?

Red Squirrel

[H]F Junkie
Joined
Nov 29, 2009
Messages
9,223
I just got a TV, and I'm new to the HTPC world. The last time I setup a TV, I just hooked up the VCR and cable TV to it and call it a day. Yeah, I'm THAT behind. :D

Now the part I'm not sure about is how do most people control their HTPCs? I can't imagine having a big keyboard sitting on the coffee table. Do they make programmable remotes that interface with a computer and act as a keyboard? So I can basically program each key to do something? Also what kind of software is good to interface with such remote? I want to stick to Linux.

I'm broke now, but I want to give myself time to decide what I want to go with. I also still need to run a network drop for the HTPC. I prefer going wired.
 
Logitech DiNovo Mini - Pricey but you get what you pay for. Fantastic HTPC mouse/keyboard that you can leave on the coffee table. Backlit keys with a full keyboard and touchpad.

Lenovo Wireless Multimedia Remote - significantly cheaper (frequently goes on sale for $30 or so). Solid keyboard and trackball, very compact, mediocre build quality, no illumination.

I have both and while the DiNovo Mini is definitely superior, the Lenovo is a solid unit.
 
I have the logitech Dinovo Mini and I will say that it gets a lot of oooo's and ahhhh's, as well as it's a great keyboard.

HOWEVER, I do have one gripe about it that I wish was different. Dragging and dropping files/folders with this keyboard/mouse combo is far from easy. It is however quickly remedied by using a remote desktop from another machine. But it's an HTPC and if you use it for only that and never move files, then you should be fine.
 
Back
Top