A-OPEN MX4SGI-4DN2 865G W/A,V,L,S,M-ATX
INTEL P4 2.8GHZ 1MB 533MHZ S478
SilverStone LCO3 Case
I am open for all suggestions.
Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
How is that Silverstone case? I was looking at them and Coolermaster
I'm a fan of the Coolermaster ATC-620 Series cases, I havn't seen the silverstone in person....
bstuds said:I notice that you didn't have a sound card listed, any reason why?
Schro said:Looking at this again, you don't mention that you want PVR functionaliy- just DVD's and music. If this is the case, I'd go for the cheapest ATI card you can find with S-Video out, which you have on your panel. I would also invest in a VGA -> Component adapter for better video quality. If you do want PVR functionality cheaply, i'd do the AIW 9000, even though it takes a slightly strong processor to run- just about anything you can buy new these days is sufficient though.
bstuds said:Perfect, that's exactly what I've been waiting to here. Now if you can clear one more thing up for me. I need your advice on what kind (sound card) and what extra I would need to connect the HTPC to my reciever and not sacrifice sound quality.Also I've changed boards:
INTEL 865PERLK 800FSB W/A,L,SATAR
Schro said:My vote would be to goto an AMD based platform- with Soundstorm audio (compliments of the nF2 chipset)- the only onboard dolby digital encoder available. (Read: get the SN45G + and AIW like me)
However, with what you are doing, it won't make a huge difference either- DD encoding is most useful when you have a non-encoded source or positional audio in games- DVD out is typically a straight AC3 dump to the receiver- the soundcard makes no difference. For MP3 playback, the quality of the codec makes the difference- since these are 2 channel audio, the encoder serves no purpose. For onboard audio, Realtek's ALC658 is one of the latest and greatest that you can get, but is usually only seen on A64 mobos... The ALC650 is quite adequete for most too- it depends on how picky you are and who you ask. Chipzilla's Azalia audio is rumored to be good, but with a recall of the chipsets, I doubt you'll get your mitts on it anytime soon.
Another option to consider, if you're not buying an AIW type solution, is a board based on ATI's RS300 chipset- just as fast as springdale, with excellent onboard graphics. Pair this with the VGA -> component adapter, and you're in business.
I'm great at adding more confusing choices, aren't I?