HTPC Recommedations

hongsc

Limp Gawd
I had a couple of questions as I will be buying soon. I'm buying the Fusion HDTV card for the HTPC recording. Now for the rest of the stuff I have $1500 to spend. I'm thinking of a LCD TV like Viewsonic or Dell about 27" to 30" capable of 720P or better maybe. I'm interested in buying a divx and dvd player progressive not sure which one is good maybe LG. For speakers I' m thinking Athena speakers it will be mostly used for movies and TV. I'm getting the 12" Dayton sub and for the receiver HK. Any suggestions like specific models would be get. Also I will use as a stand alone as my main tv setup as well. Thanks!

I wouldn't bother with a divx standalone, just use the HTPC for playing divx and save yourself the hassle of burning discs. With a decent setup the htpc should be able to play dvds as well as a standalone.

Well the LCD TV will be for the living room that's why I need a divx player and the speaker recommendations. I have a nice rig already but I want some flexibility as a stand alone for living room and together with my HTPC.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
IDversusEGO said:
I have Athena speakers and they are very good for the money. I have AS-F1's for the front stage and the AS-R1 for the rear. For the Divx standalone, get this one...
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...23457-1191143?v=glance&s=electronics&n=507846

I can confirm it plays divx and xvid files. 2 of my friends have one and I give them burns of my xvids all the time. picture is pretty good too.

Thanks I'll look into the divx player! Are these Athena speakers good for movies?

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
they are good. but they are a little bass heavy by nature. A little tweaking fixed that though.

I've read a lot of good stuff about the athena's ID pointed out.

If you feel like researching further, do a search on the Athena's and the Fluance 5 speaker AV-HTB package in our audio forum.

Mind you i don't own either, i'm just basing it on the info i've read here, mostly good to boot.

I want that 12" dayton sub btw :p

I am a big proponent of in home auditions. I purchased 3 different sets of speakers and took them home to listen to in my basement. return policies are good enough to do this at most places. online makes it tougher, but I don't like buying speakers online anywya. unless they are a known factor. I would order more athenas online for my living room if the wife would let me.

I'm not an audiophile but I want good sound. I really don't want floorstand speakers I will be moving soon if I can avoid it. I've read good things about Athena 6 Micra and the price is good. Any opinions on it?

the micra series is waht I want for my living room. not bad sound for a tiny speaker. I haven;t heard any small speaker sets that I like more. of course, I have only looked a couple.

CrimandEvil said:
Some good hardware suggestions here for setting up a sound system on the cheap.

good receiver, good speakers, not crazy about the DVD player. I had a Samsung upconverting player and found the results very spotty. some looked good, some like dog butt. I went with a quality standard as a backup to my HTPC.

CrimandEvil said:
Some good hardware suggestions here for setting up a sound system on the cheap.

Thanks I like the review of the Athena Micra 6. I can't wait to replace it with the Dayton 12".

Back