• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

HTPC only outputs stereo with games

fattypants

2[H]4U
Joined
Mar 3, 2010
Messages
3,284
My HTPC only outputs surround sound if it's some encoded bit stream (Dolby Digital, AC3, etc), so watching movies gets me surround sound.

Playing games is another story...they always come out in stereo.

The only settings it gives me are sound levels. Contrast that with using the analog output, where the speakers show up and I can set how many speakers I have. I can't set how many speakers I have in the settings on the digital outputs.

The two sound devices I have are an M-Audio Revolution 7.1 and the onboard Realtek, same problem with both devices.

Am I stuck, or is there some setting I'm missing that will convert my game surround sound to a format that my receiver will use?
 
Sadly you will need a device that supports either Dolby Digital Live or DTS-Connect to get digital surround in games. So the only way to get surround in games is to use analogue if your reciever supports an external decoder and has inputs for all channels. If you have a decent reciever there shouldnt be much quality lost.

Otherwise you can get a card such as the Xonar DX which supports both DD Live and DTS Connect.
 
Honestly, I'd just use the analog on the Revolution 7.1 and be done with it.
 
Back
Top