HTPC mobo+ram

kur1j

Gawd
Looking for a cheap, stable motherboard and ram for a Q6600 chip. Going to make this machine a HTPC. I am NOT going to be overclocking the CPU, stability is my main concern.

I have a few questions:

- What's your budget?
- Which features do you want on your motherboard?
- Which case/PSU do you have in mind?
- Which (other) parts are you reusing?
- How quiet are you trying to make this HTPC?

I have:
Video card: ATi 9800 Pro
TV Tuner: Hauppauge WinTV PVR-250
Raid card: Dell Perc 5/i
CPU: Q6600
Sound: Audigy 2

Need:
Motherboard
Ram: 2GB should be fine
HDD (Ordering 3x 1TB Samsung F1's)
Case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129032&Tpk=Antec NSK4480B

I have a 500W Antec PSU that I am going to put in it.

DVD-ROM (haven't decided if I am going to get a combo br ROM or not)

Doesn't have to be super quiet, already have after market GPU fan. If I think the stock CPU fan is to loud I will order an after market one.

you might get better input in the htpc forum.

But here's a start that you won't need a discrete video card if you're not gaming.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...&cm_mmc=TEMC-RMA-Approvel-_-Content-_-text-_-

Will handle your Q6600 and the rest you listed just fine. Not too expensive considering what you get. VGA/DVI/HDMI/DisplayPort outputs as well and from what I've been reading it handles Blu-Ray and 5.1/7.1 via HDMI perfect.

Mine arrives Thursday :p

Get the NSK4480B from Buy.com, which has free shipping as well. The NSK4480 comes with the Earthwatts 380W PSU, so you don't really need to use your 500W PSU (which model is it?) with this HTPC.

May I ask why you chose that case in particular?

You could easily pick up 4GB of RAM for as low as $40 nowadays, so take that into consideration.

As for the case I just picked the middle line Antec case. I have had good success with their power supplies and their cases. The case that I picked had a PSU in it so it was just a plus.

As for that motherboard it is out of stock and ZZF has it for 16 dollars more. Hopefully egg will get some more in.

I have:
Video card: ATi 9800 Pro
TV Tuner: Hauppauge WinTV PVR-250
Raid card: Dell Perc 5/i
CPU: Q6600
Sound: Audigy 2

The 9800Pro is AGP?
How about the other cards? PCI?

That is a good point totally forgot about that.

The Perc 5 is PCI-X but the capture card is PCI.

Most of today's motherboards use PCI-E, but not PCI-X. Are you willing to rely on the motherboard's RAID controller?

I didn't know they made Perc5/i cards in PCI-X... Mine was PCI-E 8x.

So that 9800 Pro... you never answered my question about it.

I didn't know they made Perc5/i cards in PCI-X... Mine was PCI-E 8x.

So that 9800 Pro... you never answered my question about it.

Sorry I have bad habit saying PCI-X, it just pops in my mind when I think of PCI-eXpress haha.

Well when I said "That is a good point totally forgot about that." I was referring to what you said about the ATi 9800 Pro being AGP. I totally forgot about it.

Now I am on the fence about just upgrading my PC and moving my old PC to be a HTPC.

Sorry I have bad habit saying PCI-X, it just pops in my mind when I think of PCI-eXpress haha.

Well when I said "That is a good point totally forgot about that." I was referring to what you said about the ATi 9800 Pro being AGP. I totally forgot about it.

Now I am on the fence about just upgrading my PC and moving my old PC to be a HTPC.

Since you have just about everything you need already, you could turn your old PC into an HTPC. If you want something that matches the decor in your living area, however, you may want to get a new case and motherboard.

But go whichever way you feel more comfortable with.

oic. What are the specs of your current PC?

Q6600 (I have another one that I pulled from someone wanting a AMD setup and they just give me the HSF and Q6600)

2GB ram

8800GTS

Figured I might as well look into replacing my current setup with an i7 as I am going to have to buy RAM,Motherboard,Case for this HTPC.

Back