HTPC.....how to turn it on?

The Saint

Gawd
Ok here it goes....

I need some ideas on how to turn on my HTPC without going in there and push the button!

- The BIOS does not have Wake On Lan...
- I'm using the Gyration Key/Mouse combo and USb does not work when the computer is off..
- Do I really need to go there and push the button?

:D

ideas....?

Create a text file (.txt) named anything (like remote.txt) and paste in the text below, then rename the text file '.reg', and double click it, then answer 'yes' and reboot. It should then resume from S1 or S3 standby with USB devices, but it won't cold-boot (I use S3 with an MS remote).

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\usb]

"USBBIOSHACKS"=dword:00000000

"USBBIOSx"=dword:00000000

Simple way would be to keep it turned on all the time. You can even set it up to fold if you feel like it.

Another option would be a pci network card with WOL, or run a really, really long 2-wire cable as a remote switch.

I leave mine on 24/7 so it can process the commercial skip files. it's dead queit and has one of the most efficient PSU's you can get so I don't even worry about it.

Thank you Brad, for that...
will try as soon as I can!

And thank you IanG and DiversusEGO....

I dont want to leave it on all the time....because I will need to change the case first: the antec overture is very loud, for my likings!

That registry file was perfect timing ;)

I just put a Dell GX270 in the bedroom as a HTPC and the power supply, while quiet, just wasn't quiet enough for a bedroom unit where people are sleeping. I was fiddling with the Standby options last night and while I could get it to shut down it just wouldn't come back up in S3 mode. Since S1 leaves the power supply running, that wouldn't do.

So, I come home tonight and try this and voila! My Gyration keyboard and mouse wake the system back up now. Now I just have to get another Firefly controller for that room to use instead of the keyboard/mouse and everything should be set to go.

The Saint said:
I dont want to leave it on all the time....because I will need to change the case first: the antec overture is very loud, for my likings!
when and if you do, I strongly recommend the seasonic power supplies and zalman coolers. with my passive 9600, zalman on the CPU, and a seasonic PSU the noise is inaudible from 2 feet away.

The Saint said:
I replaced my Sonata for an Overture, but went back to the Sonata for the same reason.

Brad1011a said:
Create a text file (.txt) named anything (like remote.txt) and paste in the text below, then rename the text file '.reg', and double click it, then answer 'yes' and reboot. It should then resume from S1 or S3 standby with USB devices, but it won't cold-boot (I use S3 with an MS remote).
[/size]

WHOA! So by doing this I can just click my mouse, or my remote and it will get out of standby? Hot diggity! I too have been looking for a similar sollution for many months now but noone ever gave me a good solution. I use my laptop as my htpc, check out pics:

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1019806

As you can tell from the pics, the only way to turn it on has been to open the lid and push the power button(real pain in the ass). Infact installing Windows Media Center even added the ability to get out of standby mode by pushing the media buttons on the front, which would have been good except you have to open the lid for them to work!

Im gonna try this as soon as I get home! Thnx

...brad...

this does not work for me. :(
I have changed from S1 to S3, but my mouse or keyboard cannot wake the HTPC!

farscapes, how did you do it?

Nevermind!! IT WORKS now!! Woooooot!

I did not "check" the enable this device to wake the PC on staby in the Device Manager...

:)

Only problem is that it takes a while to my WIFI Card to renew the IP from the router... like 2, 3 minutes...

:

The Saint said:
Nevermind!! IT WORKS now!! Woooooot!

I did not "check" the enable this device to wake the PC on staby in the Device Manager...

:)

Only problem is that it takes a while to my WIFI Card to renew the IP from the router... like 2, 3 minutes...

:
That 'should' be the default, but maybe not. I guess my experience in this area is mainly with MCE, and its remote receiver with standby/resume on the remote, but until the registry is changed even MCE won't resume with its own remote.

Unless you have a static IP you must wait for it (it's usually hidden within a standard bootup).

Randolf said:
sadly this does not work with the remote wonder :(
I believe the remote sensor driver must allow for wake up by remote; it's like the way any remote controlled device works. Even though the component is off, it's really on standby with a live IR sensor. But again the sensors driver must allow for that.

Back