What I have so far-
Case - Silverstone TJ08-E ($40 off craigslist)
PSU - PC Power and Cooling Silencer MK III 600W ($56.49 on newegg)
Case Fan - COUGAR CF-V12HP Vortex (16.99)
3 X 300GB Seagate Hard Drives (free - might get a 4th, looking for options on stability/backup, possibly RAID 5)
1 X 128GB Crucial M4 SSD
4 X 2GB G. Skill Ripsaw F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL (pulling this from my main rig to be replaced with 2 X 8GB Corsair sticks)
Total spent so far - $113.48
What I need-
MicroATX MB
CPU
Possible additions -
Aftermarket cooler - (looking at getting another Hyper 212+)
Remote/wireless keyboard with track pad - (I can't seem to find one that is not too expensive that has multi-touch and backlit keys.
Budget- $500 Total, that leaves $386.52 for the CPU/MOBO
Needs - First and foremost it will be sitting next to my 40 inch LCD and will be loaded up with movies/tv shows. Probably running Plex media server and media player on the same box, it will need to handle multiple HD streams and handle all encoding. Looking at SABnzbd, Sickbeard, Couchpotato for applications/addons. Will also be using the box to torrent.
Additional needs/wants - I would like to depending on my hard drive config, have multiple boot options to use the box not only as an HTPC, but a file server, game server (minecraft, css, left 4 dead) Lastly handle up to 2 VMs. I know that is a lot for one computer to hold, but if it's possible, I would love to give it a shot. Note: if this does indeed work, I will more than likely get an external low power build for backing up my desktop and server.
Below are some options I have been throwing in my cart on newegg trying to find a solution that is not only adequate for an HTPC, but can be upgraded to game newer titles in the future.
Option 1 (probably the cheapest, but no room for upgrades beyond adding a GPU)
AMD A8-3870 unlocked 3.0GHz Quad Core APU + Asus F1A75-M PRO FM1 MB = $179.98 after mir
Option 2 (Ivy Bridge)
Intel Core i5-3570k 3.4Ghz Quad Core + ASRock Z77 Extreme4 = $354.98
Option 3 (Sandy Bridge + Z77 MB - could upgrade to Ivy in the future)
Intel Core i3-2105 Sandy Bridge 3.1Ghz Dual Core + CM Hyper 212+ (newegg combo - the cooler is $10 after combo and mir) + ASUS Maximus V Gene Z77 = $329.97 after mir
I know that the builds are overkill for an HTPC, but I would still like to upgrade to running as a second desktop down the road, as well as use this machine for other functions (see "additional needs/wants")
Notes: I realize that HTPC or any kind of file server should be low energy, low noise, and the options listed above may be louder than normal, but I live in the city near a freeway, so I don't care too much about a little nose. Power saving would be nice, but not required.
If I failed to provide any important information, please let me know, I am new to this sort of build.
Any alternatives, or possible +1's to the options listed would be much appreciated.
Case - Silverstone TJ08-E ($40 off craigslist)
PSU - PC Power and Cooling Silencer MK III 600W ($56.49 on newegg)
Case Fan - COUGAR CF-V12HP Vortex (16.99)
3 X 300GB Seagate Hard Drives (free - might get a 4th, looking for options on stability/backup, possibly RAID 5)
1 X 128GB Crucial M4 SSD
4 X 2GB G. Skill Ripsaw F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL (pulling this from my main rig to be replaced with 2 X 8GB Corsair sticks)
Total spent so far - $113.48
What I need-
MicroATX MB
CPU
Possible additions -
Aftermarket cooler - (looking at getting another Hyper 212+)
Remote/wireless keyboard with track pad - (I can't seem to find one that is not too expensive that has multi-touch and backlit keys.
Budget- $500 Total, that leaves $386.52 for the CPU/MOBO
Needs - First and foremost it will be sitting next to my 40 inch LCD and will be loaded up with movies/tv shows. Probably running Plex media server and media player on the same box, it will need to handle multiple HD streams and handle all encoding. Looking at SABnzbd, Sickbeard, Couchpotato for applications/addons. Will also be using the box to torrent.
Additional needs/wants - I would like to depending on my hard drive config, have multiple boot options to use the box not only as an HTPC, but a file server, game server (minecraft, css, left 4 dead) Lastly handle up to 2 VMs. I know that is a lot for one computer to hold, but if it's possible, I would love to give it a shot. Note: if this does indeed work, I will more than likely get an external low power build for backing up my desktop and server.
Below are some options I have been throwing in my cart on newegg trying to find a solution that is not only adequate for an HTPC, but can be upgraded to game newer titles in the future.
Option 1 (probably the cheapest, but no room for upgrades beyond adding a GPU)
AMD A8-3870 unlocked 3.0GHz Quad Core APU + Asus F1A75-M PRO FM1 MB = $179.98 after mir
Option 2 (Ivy Bridge)
Intel Core i5-3570k 3.4Ghz Quad Core + ASRock Z77 Extreme4 = $354.98
Option 3 (Sandy Bridge + Z77 MB - could upgrade to Ivy in the future)
Intel Core i3-2105 Sandy Bridge 3.1Ghz Dual Core + CM Hyper 212+ (newegg combo - the cooler is $10 after combo and mir) + ASUS Maximus V Gene Z77 = $329.97 after mir
I know that the builds are overkill for an HTPC, but I would still like to upgrade to running as a second desktop down the road, as well as use this machine for other functions (see "additional needs/wants")
Notes: I realize that HTPC or any kind of file server should be low energy, low noise, and the options listed above may be louder than normal, but I live in the city near a freeway, so I don't care too much about a little nose. Power saving would be nice, but not required.
If I failed to provide any important information, please let me know, I am new to this sort of build.
Any alternatives, or possible +1's to the options listed would be much appreciated.