Hi and thanks in advance for your expertise and assistance. I currently have three machines in my setup.
1. Frankenstein AMD X2 Running Win7 64bit enterprise with 4x SansDigtial Tr5m connected via ESATA Port Multipliers.
This Machine Runs Sickbeard, Sabnzbd, FlexRaid and other various media apps, it’s
on 24/7
2. HP Little Intel Dual Core Desktop running XBMC connected to 46” LCD TV
Currently the HP accesses all files on Frankenstein via Network Shares.
3. Upstairs HTPC that accesses Frankenstein via Network Shares
My wife’s laptop took a dump and I see this as an opportunity to upgrade and possibly consolidate both #1 and #2 above machines into 1 box.
Giving her the HP and retiring Frankenstein which is super slow and painful to deal with.
Right now I RDP into Frankenstein and control everything from other machines on my network or from work.
I was thinking of buying a new CPU, MOBO, RAM and maybe SSD drive. 2500 or 2500k?
Running Windows Server 2008 R2 as a host, Physical-to-Virtual my Frankenstein box and running it as a guest.
The goal would be to have more horse power on Frankenstein, keeping the ability to RDP from anywhere to manage it, Installing XBMC on the Windows Server 2008 R2 and using that as my HTPC.
I’m thinking I would pass through all of my data drives on the Sans Digital boxes to guest and then share all the drives on the guest for host access.
My questions are
1. Has anyone done similar?
2. Will I need VT-D for any disk or controller issues, limiting my CPU choice?
3. Any major issues with the plan that you see?
4. Would maybe using Windows Virtual PC yield similar results
I’m hoping to grab goodies on Sale for labor day. Was thinking 2500k or X6.
1. Frankenstein AMD X2 Running Win7 64bit enterprise with 4x SansDigtial Tr5m connected via ESATA Port Multipliers.
This Machine Runs Sickbeard, Sabnzbd, FlexRaid and other various media apps, it’s
on 24/7
2. HP Little Intel Dual Core Desktop running XBMC connected to 46” LCD TV
Currently the HP accesses all files on Frankenstein via Network Shares.
3. Upstairs HTPC that accesses Frankenstein via Network Shares
My wife’s laptop took a dump and I see this as an opportunity to upgrade and possibly consolidate both #1 and #2 above machines into 1 box.
Giving her the HP and retiring Frankenstein which is super slow and painful to deal with.
Right now I RDP into Frankenstein and control everything from other machines on my network or from work.
I was thinking of buying a new CPU, MOBO, RAM and maybe SSD drive. 2500 or 2500k?
Running Windows Server 2008 R2 as a host, Physical-to-Virtual my Frankenstein box and running it as a guest.
The goal would be to have more horse power on Frankenstein, keeping the ability to RDP from anywhere to manage it, Installing XBMC on the Windows Server 2008 R2 and using that as my HTPC.
I’m thinking I would pass through all of my data drives on the Sans Digital boxes to guest and then share all the drives on the guest for host access.
My questions are
1. Has anyone done similar?
2. Will I need VT-D for any disk or controller issues, limiting my CPU choice?
3. Any major issues with the plan that you see?
4. Would maybe using Windows Virtual PC yield similar results
I’m hoping to grab goodies on Sale for labor day. Was thinking 2500k or X6.