HTML tags in vBulletin Version 3.0.1

cheeta05r

Gawd
I noticed the HTML tags you can use when posting. How does this feature actually work? I have tried experimenting around but haven't really gotten anywhere.

HTML:
<P>MXM (Mobile PCI Express Module), the result of a joint design effort between 
NVIDIA and the industry’s leading notebook manufacturers, provides a consistent 
  interface for mobile PCI Express graphics in order to achieve:
<BR>-Faster time to market for the latest notebook graphics 
<BR>-Multiple system configurations and price points from a single system design 
<BR>-Compatibility for any graphics solution from any vendor
<BR>-Configure-to-order upgradeable graphics through notebook manufacturers, or 
  potentially by consumers </p>

From the vBull FAQ:

Are there any special codes/tags I can use to markup my posts?

For the most part, your posts will contain plain text, but on occasions, you may want to emphasize certain words or phrases by making them (for example) bold or italic.

Depending on the rules of the forum, you may use HTML code to produce these effects. However, more often than not, the administrator will have disabled HTML code, and opted instead to use vB Code: a special set of tags which you can use to produce the most popular text-effects. vB code has the advantage that it is very simple to use, and is immune to malicious javascripts and page layout disruption.

Actual HTML code is disabled here for security reasons. The vBull code for HTML and PHP basically just colors the coding tags. It's useful for the coders over in Webmastering & Programming when they want to post "what's wrong with this code?" ;)

vB codes explained

There is a good reason for the html being disabled. If the HTML is enabled it is fairly simple to code a message that can grab cookies from your hdd and send the password(s) contained within to another site. It's also fairly simple to cause IE to explode (imagine what IE would do if it had to display moby dick at 1000pt arial :) ). Any forum that has html enabled is just begging for things like that.

dargon said:
Any forum that has html enabled is just begging for things like that.

True dat. I had a public guestbook at a site once and it got hit by spammers posting javascript that would hijack the visitor to the spammer's site. That's exactly the type of crap we don't want here.

The HTML tags since the 2.x.x days have never actually parsed the code, just displayed it for easier viewing of actual HTML code.

And this site is making my cable modem cry, seems a lil slow.. Ohh well.

Back