HTC VR/Steam VR Usablity

I notice that one of the features of the Steam VR is that you will be able to walk around a room with the VR system, unlike the Oculus Rift where you are intended to stay seated.

My question is if anyone knows if Steam VR will be able to be used while sitting? I think the Steam VR will be better simply because I will be able to use my Steam account with it. But living in a 1 bedroom condo the space to get up and move around a room is an issue. If there is a requirement that you must move around a room this could be a deal breaker and I may have to go Oculus Rift.

Yes of course you can sit with a Vive. Moving around is not a requirement.

It'll ultimately come down to game developers and how they design their game to make use of the tech.

Last I heard (so things may have changed) there would be optional sensors that you mount for movement tracking, if you did not purchase the sensors or have them hooked up the headset would function in a similar fashion as a Rift

I have access to a Vive and it is super awesome. You can calibrate the system for either full room gameplay or standing/sitting room only. I think you will be able to figure out an adequate play-space easier than you think. Sure you may need to clear some things temporarily, but the "room-setup" works extremely well to make the most of whatever available space you have. Trust me, once you play some of the full-room titles, you will be more than happy to spend the calories moving things around. :D

well its good to know that you can do both, suppose I could always take the bed out of the bedroom... looking forward to this whole VR thing, pretty sure VR will catch on this time.

suppose I could always take the bed out of the bedroom
pretty sure VR will catch on this time.
Motion control is a huge part of Valve's VR tech, they themselves said it was built from the ground up with full-room movement in mind. Requiring a user to rearrange his furniture in order to use your product in the way it is intended does not bode well for the future of Valve VR.

Motion control is a huge part of Valve's VR tech, they themselves said it was built from the ground up with full-room movement in mind. Requiring a user to rearrange his furniture in order to use your product in the way it is intended does not bode well for the future of Valve VR.

Wait until you try it. The space you need to have for even full-room stuff is not very large. I'm sure there will be apps out there in the future that push the playspace size to the very limit, but I just don't foresee it being a big deal.

Back