HTC Rezound (or HTC vigor)

chiu

Limp Gawd
I am quite disappointed with the shitty spec of Samsung Galaxy Nexus: the "fake" 720p HD display (PenTile subpixel matrix scheme), low resolution camera (5MP), no memory card slot, slow CPU (not 1.5Mhz), and the curved display (oh yeah, I don't like it). I would have got a Samsung Galaxy S2 two months ago if I knew what I have been waiting for is a piece of XXXX.

But now I am looking forward to another phone: HTC Rezound (a.k.a. HTC vigor or ThunderBolt 2). The recent leaked spec shows that it will have a 720p HD display (non PenTile), Beats Audio headphone, 8M pixels camera, 1.5 Mhz CPU, and much more. It seems no other phones in the near future can beat this phone in terms of the features. Am I correct? If I am buying a new phone now, I will buy the best one since I expect to use it for another 2 years.

I'm interested to see how each phone's camera performs. I use mine quite a bit, and I like what I hear about the Nexus' camera.

Hoping to see an improvement on build quality though on the Rezound. I own a Inc2 and I'm not very impressed, after coming from a D1.

Well you shouldn't be buying a Nexus device solely for the hardware. People usually buy them just because of the outstanding software support from both Google and independent devs like like to build their own ROMs. If you don't mind waiting at least 5-6+ months for ICS (or other future updates) to get ported to your phone, then sure, go ahead and get the Rezound.

Whatever hardware specs you get with the Nexus is just gravy to go with it. Though the shortcomings you list don't amount what you seem to think they do, IMO. The 1.2 GHz OMAP probably performs about the same as the 1.5 GHz Snapdragon and I'm sure the SGX 540 GPU on the Nexus outperforms the Adreno 220 (I think it's what it is) too. You can't really knock the cameras until you see them for yourself in the reviews, but the DSLR-like quickness of the Nexus is already pretty enticing; I doubt the Rezound or any other phone will match that for a while. Same thing with the displays; you can't really compare an Super AMOLED screen with a SLCD (which I'm assuming will be what the Rezound has), they both have their advantages, but I'm thinking I'd still rather have the SAMOLED. I think the Pentile argument is being blown way out of proportion. It's still going to display the same about of content on the screen and unless you're an eagle-eye, I don't think it's going to make that big of a difference. It didn't on the original AMOLED phones (Nexus One, Incredible, Galaxy S) that had the Pentile arrangement, they still looked way better than most displays at the time for contrast reasons alone.

Just my take on it. I don't think you could go wrong with either the RAZR, GN or Rezound. They all have their perks and trade-offs. It's just about what you prefer.

The wireless charging sounds sweet too, but I have to wonder about the size; it looks a tad larger than the GN

If I am not buying for the hardware, why do I buy an Android phone?

I wasn't talking about Android phones in general, I was talking about the Nexus phones. Both of them so far weren't way ahead of other phones out at the time in terms of hardware at the time of their launch, esp. the Nexus S, so I don't know why people hype them up to be.

To answer your question though; there's plenty of reasons to buy Android outside of hardware, esp. if you want a budget smartphone. The Galaxy Nexus definitely doesn't fall into that category at the moment though. Maybe in a year when it's almost free on contract through most online stores.

If I am not buying for the hardware, why do I buy an Android phone?

In this case the phone is being released without any bloatware , that alone may make it feel faster than the competition.

I like the G-Nex hardware as speced better.

OMAP4 @ 1.2GHz should be maybe 5% slower than Scorpion @ 1.5GHz, but easier on the battery. The "slow" SGX540 in OMAP4 that many are bemoaning is considerably faster than the expected Adreno. The OMAP4 is also loaded with some killer image processing hardware, as demonstrated by the early teases of super quick shutter lag and continuous autofocus.

You should also probably let Canon know that their 2007 1Ds Mk III (21MP) is better than their brand new 'low resolution' 1D X (18MP). I'm sure they never thought of that angle.:eek: I'll admit the first wave of floor snaps were rather meh, though the side-by-side with the 8MP IP4S TIMN did made both look bad (http://thisismynext.com/2011/10/19/galaxy-nexus-vs-iphone-4s/). I'd give the G-Nex the win on these compressed uploads for all but the last one, where the focus on the G-Nex is softer. This, on the other hand, is just plain gorgeous: http://androidandme.com/2011/10/devices/behold-the-video-recording-power-of-the-galaxy-nexus/

Thus far I prefer even RGBG PenTile SAMOLED to any mobile phone LCD I've seen (RGBW PenTile LCDs just plain hurts my eyes, though, at least the Motorola implementations I've seen).

Pre-release paper spec-marking is fun.

I just realized that the Rezound hands-on vid hasn't been posted on here. Looks almost just like the Incredible 2, which is a good thing. But it doesn't show enough to see how the phone performs or how the screen compares to an AMOLED variant. Pretty sure I'm still going to go with the GN at this point.

The Galaxy Nexus has better real world performance than the rumored specs of the Vigor, no bloatware, a better camera (zero lag and sensor quality), much better screen, so I fail to see how the Vigor is better at all.

The Galaxy Nexus has better real world performance than the rumored specs of the Vigor, no bloatware, a better camera (zero lag and sensor quality), much better screen, so I fail to see how the Vigor is better at all.

Are you kidding? I fail to see how Galaxy Nexus better than *any* new smartphones in this season in terms of hardware.

The only contentious point is the screen of HTC Rezound, which is not SAMOLED, thus the color may not be as saturated as Galaxy Nexus' screen. But the screen color would just be as good as iPhone 4, which is good enough for me. Moreover, if you look into the details on the SAMOLED screen on the market, you will see that everything is a bit too red.

More importantly, the curved screen and the banana shape made me sick. Talking to the phone is like having oral sex.

I also have a high expectation on the Beat Audio sound system, which will certainly make a difference.
Rumors said it will include remote charging too, which is fun.

Last edited:
More importantly, the curved screen and the banana shape made me sick. Talking to the phone is like having oral sex.

images

Lolwut?

It barely has a curve to it and is barely noticeable. It's not near as extreme as a banana and is just enough to contour your face. If anything, I think it would make it more ergonomic for both talking and normal usage.

Also, Beats is a joke. It's all software and any phone can achieve the same effect it has with any sort of sound equalizer (which you can easily have if, esp. if you're rooted).

OP is a joke plain and simple. It certainly did not take him making that ridiculous comment to deduce this.

OP is a joke plain and simple. It certainly did not take him making that ridiculous comment to deduce this.

But what I said about the hardware spec of Galaxy Nexus are truth: the "fake" 720p HD display (PenTile subpixel matrix scheme), low resolution camera (5MP), no memory card slot, slow CPU (not 1.5Mhz), and the curved display (oh yeah, I don't like it).

The hardware spec is obviously subpar.

But what I said about the hardware spec of Galaxy Nexus are truth: the "fake" 720p HD display (PenTile subpixel matrix scheme), low resolution camera (5MP), no memory card slot, slow CPU (not 1.5Mhz), and the curved display (oh yeah, I don't like it).

The hardware spec is obviously subpar.

If you're going to bitch you may as well Do it properly. Really, 1.5 MHz? lol.

CPU speed is almost irrelevant. ICS is designed for the Galaxy Nexus' TI OMAP cpu and will be faster than a 1.5 GHz Qualcomm chip that you'll find in an HTC...pretty much guarantee that. Not to mention it will probably be able to be overclocked very easily

The display is still 720p...but yeah it's PenTile which is less than ideal. But who really cares. I have a PenTile display on my Nexus One. Is it a big deal at all? No. Still looks better than the vast majority of HDTVs in people's houses lol. The reason they probably used a PenTile display is because the pixels are smaller...people already complain about 4.65" inches, it'ld have to be even bigger to allow a 720p striped display.

No memory card slot is annoying, but the only time I replaced my sdcard is when I first bought my phone. Not the end of the world if you have no real need for an sdcard.

Curved display? You haven't even seen or touched it, how can you know if you like it or not. I'll tell you one thing, the future of smartphones is not going to be flat. Sorry if you don't like things more ergonomic.

CPU speed is almost irrelevant. ICS is designed for the Galaxy Nexus' TI OMAP cpu and will be faster than a 1.5 GHz Qualcomm chip that you'll find in an HTC...pretty much guarantee that. Not to mention it will probably be able to be overclocked very easily

But that is the question, right? If the ICS is designed for that specific chip, what are some of the consequences for an ICS OS that is running on something like the 1.5 qualcomm chip?

What discernible consequences can you envision for an ICS running on something other than the TI OMAP cpu? In what specific ways may it be inferior to the user experience on the nexus?

If you're going to bitch you may as well Do it properly. Really, 1.5 MHz? lol.

Yeah, my bad. I should have written, "Galaxy Nexus, unlike most other smartphones released in this season, does *not* have a 1.5GHz dual-core processor."

Ridiculous! For the same amount of money, why don't I buy a smartphone with a 1.5GHz processor? CPU speed is relevant for sure. There will be a noticeable difference when you browse a webpage with full of junks.

The display is still 720p...but yeah it's PenTile which is less than ideal. But who really cares. I have a PenTile display on my Nexus One. Is it a big deal at all? No. Still looks better than the vast majority of HDTVs in people's houses lol. The reason they probably used a PenTile display is because the pixels are smaller...people already complain about 4.65" inches, it'ld have to be even bigger to allow a 720p striped display.

Ridiculous! HTC Rezound has no difficulty in putting a standard 720p striped display without "cheating". The main reason for choosing PenTile is to save cost and allow the possibly of releasing a "newer, better" version of the cellphone so that you have to pay to upgrade your phone in the future.

No memory card slot is annoying, but the only time I replaced my sdcard is when I first bought my phone. Not the end of the world if you have no real need for an sdcard.

Ridiculous! The ability of replacing memory card via memory card slots is very important, especially if you take a lot of HD videos.

Curved display? You haven't even seen or touched it, how can you know if you like it or not. I'll tell you one thing, the future of smartphones is not going to be flat. Sorry if you don't like things more ergonomic.

Ridiculous! Do you know how one feels about putting a "slightly" curved phone in his/her pant? It just does not feel right inside your pocket. It is the curved display that is not ergonomic!

I have no problem talking to a regular, straight smartphone so why bends the phone to give it a banana shape? The only reason I can think of is that the person who proposed it loves oral sex too much.

Last edited:
Chiu can't tell if you're serious or just trolling, but ill bite. You can't just buy a phone and say 1.5 is larger than 1.2 it must be faster, there are many other things to account for like clock for clock comparisons, how well its optimized for that CPU which in this case would be a big advantage so the 1.5qualcomm Cpu for all you know may be slower at browsing those webpages.

There are plenty of people that don't mind not having a sd card, i certainly have never changed mine in my Evo 3D. looking at how the iphone is selling over the years should be proof of this too.

Not sure if you've actually seen a video review of pictures of the actual G-Nex but the curve is as subtle as the Nexus S unlike those photoshopped pics last month. Plenty of people have Nexus S phones are are very happy with the curve, please don't exaggerate by calling it a "banana phone"

http://cdn.androidcentral.com/sites...axy-nexus-hands/thumb_tall_galaxy-nexus-5.jpg image of your banana

Last edited:
Chiu can't tell if you're serious or just trolling, but ill bite.

I am just angry about Galaxy Nexus, because I have been waiting for it for quite a while and it turns out it is a piece of XXXX.

You can't just buy a phone and say 1.5 is larger than 1.2 it must be faster, there are many other things to account for like clock for clock comparisons, how well its optimized for that CPU which in this case would be a big advantage so the 1.5qualcomm Cpu for all you know may be slower at browsing those webpages.

Well. You need to show me some numbers that the 1.2GHz CPU in Galaxy Nexus is actually faster than other 1.5GHz CPUs. I don't think the engineers in Qualcomm are stupid.

There are plenty of people that don't mind not having a sd card, i certainly have never changed mine in my Evo 3D. looking at how the iphone is selling over the years should be proof of this too.

iPhone never has a good camera for video recording until iPhone 4S. If someone is seriously using iPhone to play and/or record videos, he will find the lack of SD card slots is a major disadvantage.

Not sure if you've actually seen a video review of pictures of the actual G-Nex but the curve is as subtle as the Nexus S unlike those photoshopped pics last month. Plenty of people have Nexus S phones are are very happy with the curve, please don't exaggerate by calling it a "banana phone"

http://cdn.androidcentral.com/sites...axy-nexus-hands/thumb_tall_galaxy-nexus-5.jpg image of your banana

Here is another view of the BIG banana:
http://venturebeat.files.wordpress.com/2011/10/nexus_prime.png?w=656&h=276

I think I would trust this official photo instead of yours. People will certainly feel its size and its shape in the pockets of their pants.

Last edited:
I am just angry about Galaxy Nexus, because I have been waiting for it for quite a while and it turns out it is a piece of XXXX.

Well. You need to show me some numbers that the 1.2GHz CPU in Galaxy Nexus is actually faster than other 1.5GHz CPU. I don't think the architects in Qualcomm are stupid.

iPhone never has a good camera for video recording until iPhone 4S. If someone is seriously using iPhone to play and/or record videos, he will find the lack of SD card slots is a major disadvantage.

Here is another view of the BIG banana:
http://venturebeat.files.wordpress.com/2011/10/nexus_prime.png?w=656&h=276

I think I would trust this official photo instead of yours. People will certainly feel its size and its shape in the pockets of their pants.

Just because people hyped up the GN so much that it couldn't live up to it, certainly doesn't mean it's a POS.

Look at any benchmark comparing a Snapdragon phone against an OMAP/Exynos based phone of the same clock speed. Clock for clock, Snapdragons are the slowest CPUs of the bunch. I would link to all the proof, but I'm on my phone and don't feel like looking it all up on it. I guarentee you that the 1.5 GHz Snapdragon performs about the same as a 1.2 GHz OMAP/Exynos. On top of that; the Adredno GPU that comes with that Snapdragon is the weakest of the bunch too compared to the SGX and Mali eqivilant. Google it, I promise you it will back me up. No, the "architects" (the more appropriate word would be "engineeres" ;)) at Qualcomm certainly aren't stupid, they just don't seem as smart as the guys at Texas Instruments or Samsung.

The SD card argument it still absurd. You upload the vids you take to Youtube or any other backup/dropbox/file share service, then clear the space off your phone. Just the same as you do with any dedicated camera.

That pic is a rendition of the phone made only for promo purposes to accentuate the curve. You think that pic he posted was altered? Lol.. google images, bro. They all look like the one he posted.

I'm quite interested in this phone, but honestly I feel like going for the nexus just because I don't like relying on companies "promises" that a phone will get a certain update (4.0).

Just because people hyped up the GN so much that it couldn't live up to it, certainly doesn't mean it's a POS.

It is a POS when compared with other smartphones released in this season. Its hardware spec is one of the worst. It can't live up to both the hype and the reality.

Look at any benchmark comparing a Snapdragon phone against an OMAP/Exynos based phone of the same clock speed. Clock for clock, Snapdragons are the slowest CPUs of the bunch. I would link to all the proof, but I'm on my phone and don't feel like looking it all up on it. I guarentee you that the 1.5 GHz Snapdragon performs about the same as a 1.2 GHz OMAP/Exynos. On top of that; the Adredno GPU that comes with that Snapdragon is the weakest of the bunch too compared to the SGX and Mali eqivilant. Google it, I promise you it will back me up. No, the "architects" (the more appropriate word would be "engineeres" ;)) at Qualcomm certainly aren't stupid, they just don't seem as smart as the guys at Texas Instruments or Samsung.

I can't trust your guarantee unless someone shows me some benchmarks.

The SD card argument it still absurd. You upload the vids you take to Youtube or any other backup/dropbox/file share service, then clear the space off your phone. Just the same as you do with any dedicated camera.

It is your argument which is absurd. You assumed it is practical to upload a hour-long video to the cloud via 4G wireless network, and this assumption is absurd.

That pic is a rendition of the phone made only for promo purposes to accentuate the curve. You think that pic he posted was altered? Lol.. google images, bro. They all look like the one he posted.

Yes, I don't trust the picture he posted. I can't tell whether it is a Google S or Galaxy Nexus. Notice that Galaxy Nexus hasn't been released yet, and any picture of it are unofficial. How come you don't trust an official picture from Samsung/Google, but trust a photo taken by someone else?

Last edited:
I'm quite interested in this phone, but honestly I feel like going for the nexus just because I don't like relying on companies "promises" that a phone will get a certain update (4.0).

Same for me. But I think most phones that are released in this season will eventually get ICS. But it will take 0.5-1 year. HTC promised it will release the OS update in a short time. If it is the case, I will probably wait for the update before I buy it.

a 1.5GHz dual-core processor

Ridiculous! Do you know how one feels about putting a "slightly" curved phone in his/her pant? It just does not feel right inside your pocket. It is the curved display that is not ergonomic!

Wow. That's probably one of the funniest/dumbest comments I have ever read. I carry the NS in my pocket all the time and it doesn't feel any different than any other phone.

Guys he's an obvious troll. The image I posted was from a video review of the g-nex done by android central. You can youtube multiple videos on it and they all look like the picture i posted. The rezound probably won't have ics out of the box, which means months without hardware acceleration.

It is a POS when compared with other smartphones released in this season. Its hardware spec is one of the worst. It can't live up to both the hype and the reality.

I can't trust your guarantee unless someone shows me some benchmarks.

It is your argument which is absurd. You assumed it is practical to upload a hour-long video to the cloud via 4G wireless network, and this assumption is absurd.

Yes, I don't trust the picture he posted. I can't tell whether it is a Google S or Galaxy Nexus. Notice that Galaxy Nexus hasn't been released yet, and any picture of it are unofficial. How come you don't trust an official picture from Samsung/Google, but trust a photo taken by someone else?

Lol, are you aware of how ignorant you sound ("Rediculous!" lolz)? The phone is spec'd just the same as any other high-end phone launching this season. I'm not sure how that equates to "the worst".

If you followed my directions (google), you would find your proof. But I suppose you would rather claim ignorance to avoid (further) embarrassment.

Lol, who the fuck is recording an hour long vid on their phone? If you don't have an actual camera to record a special event that lasts an hour and decide to use your phone, you're definitely doing it wrong. Do you have a tripod for your phone or are you holding it that whole time? Lolz. But even if you're retarded enough to do such a thing, you would off-load it from the phone over your home WiFi network with any file-sharing service or even use the USB cable to mount it to your PC and transfer it over :eek:. lol

As for the pics, onedestinazn2 has another point. Just check out any youtube vid of it. But since you're stuck on that pre-premier PhotoShop job Samsung (and other people) released before the launch, here's another pic from Samsung's page.

Galaxy_Nexus_SignuUp.jpg

But I'm sure you'd still rather further humiliate yourself by refuting everything said above. Which will be entertaining enough, but I'm done feeding you now.

This was the first time I've seen reference to the Rezound's built-in inductive charging. Why the hell isn't this standard on ALL smartphones being released? I was under the impression that there was a consortium with an agreed-upon standard for inductive charging at this point, so that shouldn't be an excuse any longer.

im mixed up between these 2 as well. i just want official specs of which has the better gpu? benchmarks would be nice.

Anyone else a little disappointed in the seemingly now standard $299.99 pricetag on these new phones? Combined with the recently doubled ETFs it seems a bit much. Maybe it's just me...

This was the first time I've seen reference to the Rezound's built-in inductive charging. Why the hell isn't this standard on ALL smartphones being released? I was under the impression that there was a consortium with an agreed-upon standard for inductive charging at this point, so that shouldn't be an excuse any longer.

Meh, it sounds cool in theory. But I think in practice, I wouldn't have much use for inductive charging. A lot of times, before I go to bed, my phone is about to die, but I like to play games and browse around on it so I have to keep it charging while I use it. I like to use my Ezestand along with the Bedside app (night clock), so it would have to work with the phone being a few inches above the surface. Also, at what rate does it charge at (USB/550 mA vs wall charger/950 mA)?

Anyone else a little disappointed in the seemingly now standard $299.99 pricetag on these new phones? Combined with the recently doubled ETFs it seems a bit much. Maybe it's just me...

Yeah, I think it's a bit much myself. Fortunately I have my last NE2 upgrade w/ $50 credit, so that helps a little. I know T-Mobile has phones on contract for $250+ (after a MIR) too. Verizon can only get away with it though because they're the best carrier (and they know it) as far as data speeds (on 4G at least) and coverage.

i liked the palm touchstone when i had my palm pre was pretty niffy and fast. it isnt a must-have for me but i do think phone manufacturers should adopt inductive chargers eventually

Not just you... I purchased my last phone out-right for that very reason - I'll probably purchase my next one too..

$300 is a lot! Makes me want to get my next phone outright as well. This isn't Canada why the $300 phones. Next thing we know we'll have 3 year contracts too.

Yeah, my bad. I should have written, "Galaxy Nexus, unlike most other smartphones released in this season, does *not* have a 1.5GHz dual-core processor."

Ridiculous! For the same amount of money, why don't I buy a smartphone with a 1.5GHz processor? CPU speed is relevant for sure. There will be a noticeable difference when you browse a webpage with full of junks.
The difference will be small at best. What matters is the architecture of the chip more than anything else. Dual core Cortex-A9. The 300 MHz difference will probably also be able to be overclocked to. It's surprising that it isn't clocked to 1.5GHz already, but I bet the answer to that is battery. Perhaps ICS is just so much smoother already...those extra few hundred MHz would be wasted in all but the most extensive apps.

Ridiculous! HTC Rezound has no difficulty in putting a standard 720p striped display without "cheating". The main reason for choosing PenTile is to save cost and allow the possibly of releasing a "newer, better" version of the cellphone so that you have to pay to upgrade your phone in the future.

The Rezound has an LCD. The Nexus Prime has an AMOLED. The near infinite black that an AMOLED gets you is something an LCD can't match. People say it's preference at the end of the day. I say AMOLEDs give you a more natural life like image than an LCD.

The Rezound will still look great and its high pixel density will be really nice. I'm not even ruling it out as my next phone yet, but it's not going to have a better picture than an AMOLED.

Ridiculous! The ability of replacing memory card via memory card slots is very important, especially if you take a lot of HD videos.

Valid point. If you need an SD Card slot that much and can't find a cloud based way to deal with it, then the Galaxy Nexus may not be ideal for you.

I have no problem talking to a regular, straight smartphone so why bends the phone to give it a banana shape? The only reason I can think of is that the person who proposed it loves oral sex too much.

The curve is pretty slight, it would hug your leg if you put it screen in(which you should) and it will cup your face a little. I haven't held one so I don't really know for sure. It's possible that it feels really akward, I just don't think they'ld be dumb enough to allow that.

This guy must have missed the MHz race of the early 2000s when we learned that higher clock speed doesn't mean faster.

Back to the Rezound, the phone is pretty disappointing. It's too damn thick when we have the Razr, SGS2 and Nexus, terrible battery (worst out of the lot), won't get ICS till Sense is updated (i.e. many months). They're trying to sell this solely based on Beats audio, which is terrible since phone audio always is going to suck.

I see no reason to buy this phone. I have an Evo 4G and IMO HTC phones are no longer the most desirable.

Back