HTC Passion

I saw this on phandroid.com. I wonder what the release date is. I'm going to get the droid so if I don't like it I can go back to my crappy flip phone at the end of the 30 days and then get the Passion or Desire instead.

I have heard there is an Android event on the 30th for the Droid/Sholes, so we should expect it soon. There was a leaked document online that showed a calendar release date of the 30th of October, but that may be too soon. You never no though. That is my next device. I am thinking first week in November for release.

Last edited:
The event is actually on October 28th, invites went out to a select few. www.droiddoes.com has a timer running that will finish it's countdown on October 28th as well. I've heard and seen ads that show a November 11th release date, but most people agree it's the Moto Droid and HTC Hero (variant for Verizon).

I wish we had more specs on the Passion because i was wondering if i should wait for the passion or just go ahead and get the Droid on the 6th... ? I have already waited 3 years to get a phone so should i wait a couple more months?

Droid will be a great phone, if the Passion comes out it will be as well. Currently news/gossip on the Passion is mixed. At this point we'd be better off not knowing anything about it. My suggestion is, wait and don't get the Droid right away unless you need a phone now. If you do get the Droid and Verizon announces the Passion I'd bet it'll be outside the 30 day window starting on Nov 6th.
I pre-ordered one at Best Buy today, but if I don't like it I can fall back on a Moto Razr 3 if I want an HTC Passion or equal phone that may be announced for a December release.

Good thinking. I was thinking i was going to hold off for at least a week or two for the droid anyways to make sure it gets good reviews, and i also wanted to try it out for myself in the store... if verizion ever gets the freaking phone in the store....

Random rant. I went to the verizion store to check out the htc tp2 multipule times since its came out and they still dont even have a display model, its very annoying. I understand that its been sold out but cant we just see some display models.

Any new news about this. I am still waiting to get the droid, i am thinking about getting it for Christmas but if the rumors are true then i will wait for a little longer to get this phone.

I have also been hearing that the battery life kinda sucks with the droid and im not sure how much better it will be with the passion considering it has a faster cpu.

There is a little more smoke (and where there is smoke, there is fire) for the verizon passion phone:

http://htcpassion.com/
htcpassion.jpg

hmm, I want a unlocked GSM version of this phone. Although I'm pretty happy with my GSM hero.

Thought they ruled fake in that web spot?

Regardless I know for a fact that the phone is real and is coming very soon.

I'm getting pretty pumped for this phone. All the goodness of the HD2 without the garbage that is WinMo? Me likey lots!!! :D

Thought they ruled fake in that web spot?

Regardless I know for a fact that the phone is real and is coming very soon.

Whether its fake or not, I have not seen... But it's coming soon like ya said.

As far as a GSM version of thie passion? Not a snow balls chance in hell. Get the HD2 and hope that the guys at XDA can find a way to get Android on it.

Honestly, I still love my WinMo... Using an Omnia with a hacked 6.5 ROM. It's a thing of beauty. The passion is my next phone, just concerned with app support. I still hate the Mel Gibson image I get every time I say the passion.

Whether its fake or not, I have not seen... But it's coming soon like ya said.

As far as a GSM version of thie passion? Not a snow balls chance in hell. Get the HD2 and hope that the guys at XDA can find a way to get Android on it.

Honestly, I still love my WinMo... Using an Omnia with a hacked 6.5 ROM. It's a thing of beauty. The passion is my next phone, just concerned with app support. I still hate the Mel Gibson image I get every time I say the passion.

What makes you so sure a passion won't come in a GSM flavor? the droid has a GSM version arriving in a few days, the motorola milestone.

there is no way I'll buy a winmo phone, and "hope" android makes its way to it.

What makes you so sure a passion won't come in a GSM flavor? the droid has a GSM version arriving in a few days, the motorola milestone.

there is no way I'll buy a winmo phone, and "hope" android makes its way to it.

The Droid is made by Motorola... The Passion/Dragon is made by HTC first of all. Motorola has the money to toss the Droid around (especially with all the marketing that Verizon has done, Motorola knows they have a winner on their hands). HTC is still a second tier phone company that is far smaller than Motorola so they have to make exclusivity contracts with carriers for months or years on phones and hope for good sales. Once the exclusivity contract is over, HTC is free to market the phone to other carriers, but it is out dated technology by then and new phones are already available. HTC is far more likely to produce a phone that is similar than convert from cdma to gsm after the exclusivity contract is over. And, that similar gsm phone is the Windows Mobile HTC HD2.

The Droid is made by Motorola... The Passion/Dragon is made by HTC first of all. Motorola has the money to toss the Droid around (especially with all the marketing that Verizon has done, Motorola knows they have a winner on their hands). HTC is still a second tier phone company that is far smaller than Motorola so they have to make exclusivity contracts with carriers for months or years on phones and hope for good sales. Once the exclusivity contract is over, HTC is free to market the phone to other carriers, but it is out dated technology by then and new phones are already available. HTC is far more likely to produce a phone that is similar than convert from cdma to gsm after the exclusivity contract is over. And, that similar gsm phone is the Windows Mobile HTC HD2.

hmm, I kinda see what you mean. But, the GSM version of the hero was out first, and then came CDMA versions of it a few months later.

hmm, I kinda see what you mean. But, the GSM version of the hero was out first, and then came CDMA versions of it a few months later.

Like ya said... a few months later. Do you really want to wait that long on only a long shot of the Passion getting re-fit with gsm or would ya rather look towards a phone that is definitely coming to your network now (or soon)?

Like ya said... a few months later. Do you really want to wait that long on only a long shot of the Passion getting re-fit with gsm or would ya rather look towards a phone that is definitely coming to your network now (or soon)?

well, hopefully a GSM version won't take to long to arrive. if another phone arrives before a gsm of the passion is out, but on a CDMA network, what can ya do?

well, hopefully a GSM version won't take to long to arrive. if another phone arrives before a gsm of the passion is out, but on a CDMA network, what can ya do?

Pretty sure ya can get some European or asian gsm phones to work on the gsm networks... Gonna cost you a pretty penny to buy the phone out right, but it's an option if ya don't want to switch networks

Euro GSM phones will only be 2G here in the US. You'd need a Canadian GSM phone.

Pretty sure ya can get some European or asian gsm phones to work on the gsm networks... Gonna cost you a pretty penny to buy the phone out right, but it's an option if ya don't want to switch networks

yeah, thats what I was planning to do. thats what I just did with the gsm hero actually.

Well, I picked up an Eris today and other than being a little slow and small, prefer it to the DROID by a large margin. The portrait keyboard is great, the screen doesn't wig out, and sense ui owns. If the passion doesn't come out, ill glady keep this thing.

The Passion will be my next phone no doubt but it kinda sucks that it won't be out before Christmas. Until then I guess I have to put up with the Eris. I had a Moto Droid but I hated the physical keyboard :(

Seems like it might be getting delayed so it will launch with Android 2.1 since there are now rumors that the Droid and Eris will be getting 2.1 on Jan 22.

Seems like it might be getting delayed so it will launch with Android 2.1 since there are now rumors that the Droid and Eris will be getting 2.1 on Jan 22.

I wonder if the hero will also be getting 2.1 on that date?

the leaked screen shot of it, while it may be fake or not, after I saw it I knew it had a 3.5" screen at the most. the phone looks so much like a eris or sprint hero.

Yeah, that pic was a big bucket of ice water in the face. Major meh-factor!!! :(

"The Bravo, which will be powered by a Snapdragon QDS 8250 1GHz CPU, eventually will debut in the US market in January 2010 under the trade name of Passion before being marketed by T-Mobile under the Bravo in Europe in April 2010, the paper said."

-Digitimes via some paper

HTC Bravo pictured more lucidly (Update: coming to US in January as HTC Passion)

6ba5b25b.gif
6ba5b25b.gif
6ba5b25b.gif
6ba5b25b.gif
6ba5b25b.gif
6ba5b25b.gif
6ba5b25b.gif
6ba5b25b.gif
6ba5b25b.gif
6ba5b25b.gif
6ba5b25b.gif
6ba5b25b.gif
6ba5b25b.gif
6ba5b25b.gif
6ba5b25b.gif
6ba5b25b.gif

PLEASE have physical buttons on the front!! Also, make the light's around them go off unlike the Eris, very distracting.

Last edited:
Back