• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

HTC Ozone or Samsung Omnia?

DrNic2032

Weaksauce
Joined
Jul 5, 2007
Messages
125
I'm on Verizon and trying to decide which phone to get next. I prefer a phone with a Querty keyboard and Wi-Fi access.

My two candidates are the Ozone and the Omnia. What do people think about these phones? The reviews I've seen are pretty mixed. I like that the Ozone can be used internationally, but at the same time the touchscreen of the Omnia seems like it would be handy.

Any help would be great! Thanks!
 
IF....big IF, you need a phone today and can't wait don't get either of those two. Get the HTC Touch Pro 2
http://www.phonearena.com/htmls/HTC-Touch-Pro2-CDMA-phone-pa_3710.html
If you can wait, consider this HTC phone.
http://www.phonearena.com/htmls/HTC-Imagio-XV6975-phone-pa_3874.html
HTC is also rumored to be releasing an Android phone on Verizon in the next month or two.

If price is an object and thats why you are considering the Omnia and Ozone then here's my two cents. The Omnia is very low on ram at 128mb while the Ozone has 192mb. Consider the screens and whether or not you want touch screen or not. Go to the store and try these two phones out, test the keyboards and interfaces.

I would personally wait for upcoming phones, but not everyone can wait. Good luck in your decision.
 
IF....big IF, you need a phone today and can't wait don't get either of those two. Get the HTC Touch Pro 2
http://www.phonearena.com/htmls/HTC-Touch-Pro2-CDMA-phone-pa_3710.html
If you can wait, consider this HTC phone.
http://www.phonearena.com/htmls/HTC-Imagio-XV6975-phone-pa_3874.html
HTC is also rumored to be releasing an Android phone on Verizon in the next month or two.

If price is an object and thats why you are considering the Omnia and Ozone then here's my two cents. The Omnia is very low on ram at 128mb while the Ozone has 192mb. Consider the screens and whether or not you want touch screen or not. Go to the store and try these two phones out, test the keyboards and interfaces.

I would personally wait for upcoming phones, but not everyone can wait. Good luck in your decision.
At the moment price is a big part of this. My new every two plan will let me get either of those phones for $50 but I only have a few weeks to decide before they go off special. All the other wifi/qwerty options are $100+ which I'm just not willing to spend at the moment.

Thanks for the info!
 
Like I said, there's a difference in Ram and screen size. If you are going to utilize the large screen without running multiple apps then the Omnia would probably be fine. If the screen size on the Ozone is sufficient for you and you plan on running multiple apps then I'd choose the Ozone.
They are pretty comparable phones, you just need to figure out in store which one best suites your needs. You can probably get a BB Storm for a cheap price as well, but I haven't heard anything good and was never impressed when I tried it.
 
Id take a look over at ppcgeeks.com to see which phone has more of a developer following, and as far as I know that's the ozone. To me the phones are very different, only one has a hardware keyboard and one has a much larger screen, ones touch one isn't, one has wifi and one says wifi capable which I don't understand. But they are decently different, and the ozone seems to fit better what you are looking for. Here's the link to the custom ROM section for them for more info:

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=93 Ozone (HTC Snap)
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=69 Omnia

Do some reading there and see what quirks are showing up or what's able to be modified, etc. Make sure to check the upgrades sub-section to see what's available for ROMs, they usually have pics. Also hit up youtube for some video reviews, they tend to be very helpful in seeing the phones in action.
 
I have the Ozone, and personally I love it. I haven't really gotten into modding it yet(haven't had time) but from what I've read there is a lot you can do with it(though that's just cause its WinMo). Also, Verizon will be releasing a free WinMo 6.5 upgrade sometime soon after it is released which is great.
With the Skyfire web browser, using the internet on this is great, you get full HTML webpages, flash and all(Hulu would work if Hulu would just lift its platform restrictions.. grr...), and on the Verizon network it's blazing fast.

Hardware-wise it is great. Coming from a BlackBerry Pearl, the QWERTY keyboard is awesome. It probably took me a day of typing on it to get used to the layout and the size of the keys, now I would be completely fine typing up long documents and emails on it.
 
I have the Ozone, and personally I love it. I haven't really gotten into modding it yet(haven't had time) but from what I've read there is a lot you can do with it(though that's just cause its WinMo). Also, Verizon will be releasing a free WinMo 6.5 upgrade sometime soon after it is released which is great.
With the Skyfire web browser, using the internet on this is great, you get full HTML webpages, flash and all(Hulu would work if Hulu would just lift its platform restrictions.. grr...), and on the Verizon network it's blazing fast.

Hardware-wise it is great. Coming from a BlackBerry Pearl, the QWERTY keyboard is awesome. It probably took me a day of typing on it to get used to the layout and the size of the keys, now I would be completely fine typing up long documents and emails on it.

curious do you get push email on it ? I want either this or the tour but the tour is 150 bucks and this is pretty much free. If so how fast cuz I need it to be as good as a Blackberry push
 
curious do you get push email on it ? I want either this or the tour but the tour is 150 bucks and this is pretty much free. If so how fast cuz I need it to be as good as a Blackberry push

It's windows mobile, there is no better implentation of push because it's native. :p
 
My vote is for HTC Ozone. Samsung's UI widget is neat and all, but you can't do much else with the preloaded widgets.
 
Yeah I get push email on mine, and it can be as fast as you want it to be. It can update instantly, or every 10 minutes, 15 minutes, and so on.
 
right but that is not really a push. Their implementation uses active sync and basically keeps your data connection open all the time if you want real time email. That is why all these gmail push folks are complaining that it drains battery life.

Blackberry uses their own noc which fetches your email and then pushes it to your device. Verizon has a wirless sync option that "can" use their own servers but I am not sure if it still requires the client.

So on the Ozone what is the battery life like with push? Do you have it set for real time?
 
I have one account set to real time and the other to every half an hour. I can consistently get two days worth of battery life if I just turn it off at night (between 11pm and 6am). This includes surfing the web for at least a combined total each day as well as sending approximately 200 texts a day and using the phone for about 20-30 minutes a day.

All in all, the battery life seems great for me, but I have only had this phone for a few weeks, so I am assuming the battery life will slowly get worse as time goes on.
 
that's cool, I can't turn it off at night since I have to be on call and get notified by email (and since my company got rid of company paid cells ;() I ended up ordering the Blackberry Tour today. I really did like the ozone (and the 4.99 price!) but I am too tied to a blackberry to give it up :)
 
I've had the pleasure of working with Ozone for a bit... the keys are so uncomfortable.. I never want to see that thing again.
 
Uh...windows mobile. He's talking about a windows mobile phone (ozone) and I stated windows mobile. :D

Also as a possible tie breaker, the ozone is officially getting a 6.5 update and the omnia may not be:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2353789,00.asp

Supposedly so is the Omnia.

I have been running WinMo 6.5 on my Omina for a couple months now and love all the RAM they freed up. It is so fast and smooth now.

http://omniarom.com
and
http://www.modaco.com/
 
I just noticed in the Comm Manager on my Ozone that there is in fact true push email. There is a setting called "Microsoft Direct Push E-Mail" I don't have it on, but maybe it is similar to the BB push email services. Anyone know?
 
I sell both and have had both. I prefer the Ozone. The Ominia is is elegant but small for a touch phone. It works great if you go the custom rom route but the Ozone rocks out of the box. The Omnia is being end of life clearenced for free now and the Ozone is 50 dollars after rebate.

My vote is for the Ozone unless you have to have a touch screen. Its very light , easy to use, real time weather and the RSS hub that provides up to date " news group articles " if you will on the the fly is nice . My only complaint is the small screen.
 
I just noticed in the Comm Manager on my Ozone that there is in fact true push email. There is a setting called "Microsoft Direct Push E-Mail" I don't have it on, but maybe it is similar to the BB push email services. Anyone know?

Yes, it uses Microsoft servers as it was explained to me. In the past Verizon handled the wireless Sync, I use it as we speak, I often get it before it shows on my desktop at work. Personal email is a different story, that has a min of every 5 minutes
 
Back
Top