HTC EVO flawless?

XLeezardx

[H]ardChef
I am seriously thinking about returning my iphone 4 give the EVO a shot. Not because of the atenna issue (not an issue for me), but just because I can't download a 45MB email attachment (photoshop file) on the iphone. You cant download no god damn email attackments, I am beginning to feel the Apple shackles. Honestly I have no manufacture issues with my iphone, its fast, super responsive, long battery life, screen is just beautiful and tons amazing apps I love. I am just missing some simple features i had with the blackberry bold, such as LED light indicator, play almost any media format, flash, mass storage device etc. Im assuming Android phones does everything the iphones and blackberry can do + more.

Now, i havent dug deep into the EVO, but since there isnt any threads about the HTC EVO's flaws, other than dust under screen and short battery life, is it a flawless device? Anything defects or quirks or major complaints?

Battery life was an issue (big issue) for me at first since my office has no signal and it was constantly searching. They fixed that in the most recent OTA update though and I have zero battery life issues now. It still isn't as good as the iPhone, but is user replaceable which I'd take any day.

I did encounter a bit of a flaw though. The camera lens protrudes from the back. I've only had the thing for 2 weeks and the plastic layer over the lens has already cracked just from being put down on desks. Haven't dropped it or anything and rest of the case is flawless, but I've got a very thin X right through the camera lens cover. Actually going to see about returning it this weekend since its still in the return window and I'd definitely consider that a design flaw, but I wouldn't be surprised if they say too bad user damage either.

I do love being free of the Apple shackles though. As you mentioned inability to load email attachments was a bitch. Can just drop whatever I want on the SD card of the EVO just like any real phone or download files as needed.

Edit: Oh, there is no such thing as a flawless phone. But I've been happy with the EVO.

Well eventually the iphone 4 will be jail broken, but probably after apple releases 4.0.1 which looks to be at the earliest released at the end of the month.

I've had one for about a month now and really the only flaw I can find so far is that I inadvertently press the buttons under the screen when I try to use it one handed. This also makes it hard to press the button to turn off the screen. I'm sure it just takes a little getting used to though. I have yet to find anything seriously wrong with it.

I love mine. With a root and the OCwidget I am getting 24hrs of use easily. I honestly have to problems with this phone. I absolutely love it to death.

The Evo will only get better with 2.2 which coming out in a month or 2

as far as protecting the lens get a seido innocase 2 case it only adds 1mm of thickness to the phone and protects the lens so its not resting on it. I have this case and it has protect my phone quite a few times. You may want to get a screen protector. Also you will be saving some $$$ each month with sprint's plan vs Att. You can sign up for the sprint ERP plan and basically pay $69.99 for unlimted data w/ 500 mins. or get a family plan for $120 w/1600 mins

Before you return your iPhone 4 and pay the cancellation fee, maybe you should wait until at least the 18th so you can check out AT&T's new Android smartphone the Samsung Captivate.

Before you return your iPhone 4 and pay the cancellation fee, maybe you should wait until at least the 18th so you can check out AT&T's new Android smartphone the Samsung Captivate.

I think it would be a smarter move to return the phone and switch to sprint to save some money.

I have a week until my 30 days is up. This is a really hard decision. Support America, Taiwan or Korea (Apple, HTC, Samsung).

4G was great but turning it on sucked the battery life down to almost nothing.

Using just 3G, I played with the EVO for about an hour and a half at a restaurant just browsing the web with Dolphin and taking one or two pictures of the food, and the battery life dipped from 100% to around 70% afterwards.

I like the iPhone 4's keyboard better than the EVO's...I made more mistakes on the EVO than I did the iPhone. Swype on the EVO was pretty cool, though.

And honestly, I hated the EVO's camera. Though it had Dual-LED and 8MPs, the quality of photos that I took were pretty crappy. Maybe I just didn't know how to "use it right", but I don't believe I should have to tinker with a camera's settings for 5 minutes before I take a picture. The iPhone 4's camera tends to take clearer pictures on default settings, and does it a bit quicker as well.

I did love the EVO's android notification system...that was really awesome and unintrusive.

All in all, I returned my EVO after 3 weeks. I'm looking into getting an iPhone 4.

my personal experience with evo (which is my first smart phone so i'm still at 1 from scale from 1-10)

Yep the battery life sucks, though i can't understand on mine as i've few ups and down. sometime the battery stays for full two or so day and sometime it dies in about 5-6 hour this is all on ideal mode. (my use of phone is pretty standerd atm as i'm still learning things)

i've ipod touch (stayed with sprint for lower monthly plans) and compare to evo i defenitely thing games work more often on ipod touch (and so on iphone) than on HTC evo, i downloaded few free games and three of four of them wouldn't start (different layout of each android phone thus making it harder to use control on all of them)

the 8mp camera sticks out a lot out in the back thus making me worrying it might get scratched on lance. (i keep phone screen inside for safety)

compare to iphone, evo is bigger and should have been thinner, but it's not it's actually thincker (almost 2 and half time compare to my ipod touch) specially the headphone jack, it should have been stright on one of the side but it isn't, it's actually seems like they added after designing the phone and it sticks out little more.

the freaking back cover i hate the most, i mean come on was it too hard to make sliding or unlocking mechanism for the back cover, this makes lot harder to change battery if you've spare battery. (thanks goodness i didn't buy spare battery with it saving me $60) this is actually makes it very hard specially if you've one of those cheap case from china from it.

it is also little harder to use it little (may be i'm not use to it yet) considering the ease of ipod i've used.

i did really liked the camera for me it took great picture not sure if i got lucky or what but i liked it.

they should have put better future for voice and volume it is really hard to hear for me have to keep it perfect or i can't hear a thing.

sorry to compare the whole thing to ipod touch as i've never used iphone and with iphone and evo these are the best phone i suppose on th emarket.

I am seriously thinking about returning my iphone 4 give the EVO a shot. Not because of the atenna issue (not an issue for me), but just because I can't download a 45MB email attachment (photoshop file) on the iphone. You cant download no god damn email attackments, I am beginning to feel the Apple shackles. Honestly I have no manufacture issues with my iphone, its fast, super responsive, long battery life, screen is just beautiful and tons amazing apps I love. I am just missing some simple features i had with the blackberry bold, such as LED light indicator, play almost any media format, flash, mass storage device etc. Im assuming Android phones does everything the iphones and blackberry can do + more.

Now, i havent dug deep into the EVO, but since there isnt any threads about the HTC EVO's flaws, other than dust under screen and short battery life, is it a flawless device? Anything defects or quirks or major complaints?

I had the glass separation & light leakage problems with two EVOs. My screen was coming up on the bottom, and light was leaking out at the bottom and both sides of the screen. It got worse over a period of 3 weeks, so I exchanged it, and the replacement had the problems as well. They may have fixed it by now, but I took it back and cancelled my service. Also, I didn't think the EVO keyboard was very accurate, because I made many more mistakes on it than I have on other devices. And 4G, the selling feature of the phone, drains battery too quick to be useful at all. Honestly, I'd recommend the Droid X, unless you need to be on Sprint. But I'm also biased because I didn't like HTC Sense, and prefer vanilla Android, which the Droid X looks closer to.

Back