HTC 10

T4rd

Fully [H]
Announced this morning.

I was really hoping for stereo speakers and an IR blaster since I've gotten used to them on my M8.

HTC 10 Product page

Intro vid

Tester teaser testimony so far.

Looks pretty good otherwise though. Not sure if I'll pick this up yet or wait or just get a 6P for now since I'm leaving Verizon soon. This definitely seems more appealing than the G5 or S7 for me so far though.

Edit: It looks like it does actually have stereo speakers still. Awesome!

Last edited:
Hands On With The HTC 10: A Fresh Start

Anandtech has a pretty good hands on write up about the speakers. Evidently it sounds great. Almost like you have a pair of front facing speakers.

HTC 10 camera overview: A great all-rounder for stills and video | DxOMark

Apparently, DxOMark gave HTC 10 an 88 in camera score, a first place tie with the GS7 camera. Now I wait for the Huawei P9 scores.

5 best things about the new HTC 10

Lowest touch response latency, even compared to the iPhone. And 2 day battery life. (73 hours of continuous music playing?!?)

Last edited:
Reactions: T4rd
like this
BTW, T4rd, not to go off topic or anything, but I strongly suggest you get a Logitech Harmony hub, companion, ultimate, or elite (or whatever the marketing names are). I have the "ccompanion " or smart control w/ hub because I like having a regular remote that lasts instead of having no remote or a remote that needs to be recharged every two days. As you know, I went from the M8 to the iPhone. So I had an issue with that. The harmony software is also so much better than whatever IR blaster app HTC had; was it Peel? I need to control three pieces of hardware to watch anything: TV, Receiver, and cable box or Amazon Fire TV. And the Harmony software controlled that much better. I get to switch between "TV" and Fire with one press of a button despite having to change inputs and powering down or up the cable box. I got my companion from watching deal sites, and it is a great time saver.

This one is exactly what I got:
Logitech Harmony Smart Control w/ Hub

Logitech Harmony Smart Control w/ Hub $70 + Free S/H

Last edited:
Reactions: T4rd
like this
I am eagerly awaiting real reviews of the HTC 10. As long as battery life is on par with my note 5, which has the same size 3,000mAh battery, I know processors are different, but they should be sort of similar efficiency wise.

When will carrier stores have them on display to fondle ?

HTC is advertising this with a 2 day battery life. How much do you need? LOL

It looks like a great phone all-around, but I'm still taken (slightly) aback by the inclusion of AirPlay support. Yeah, it's probably just for audio, but think about it -- that means you can use tech that was previously limited to Apple hardware and software.

I'm primarily a Nexus guy when I buy Android phones, but the HTC 10 seems like it'd be my pick if I were going to go non-stock. HTC's certainly better than most about timely OS updates.

This... actually looks like a desirable and competent phone from HTC. Even if HTC is making the Nexus 5 this year based on this phone, I might consider the normal version if Sense is really as near-stock as advertised so I can get the better camera software.

Luckily I'm on JoD T-Mobile, but that $699 price is crazy IMO, compared to the Nexus 6P can be had brand new for $449. I would never pay $600+ for a smartphone, that's absurd. When the Nexus phone is almost every bit as good hardware wise, and better software wise. But with the 6P being 1/3rd cheaper, I would still recommend that over any new flagship today, price being a main reason.

Or the S7 Edge being what $750, that's insane, and the iPhone 6S Plus being like $800 LOL, who the F would pay those crazy price for a smartphone ? When the Nexus 6P is so much cheaper, and really near as good.

Luckily I'm on JoD T-Mobile, but that $699 price is crazy IMO, compared to the Nexus 6P can be had brand new for $449. I would never pay $600+ for a smartphone, that's absurd. When the Nexus phone is almost every bit as good hardware wise, and better software wise. But with the 6P being 1/3rd cheaper, I would still recommend that over any new flagship today, price being a main reason.

Or the S7 Edge being what $750, that's insane, and the iPhone 6S Plus being like $800 LOL, who the F would pay those crazy price for a smartphone ? When the Nexus 6P is so much cheaper, and really near as good.

I would hope carriers would offer it a bit cheaper, esp. since it seems that the T-Mo units are coming without the headphones, which is ghey.

Wish folks would stop saying that every phone should be priced like a Nexus. Google sells its devices as cheaply as it does because it doesn't intend to make a profit on them; they're ambassadors for Android. You can certainly say that you'd rather get a Nexus 6P for the price, but I wouldn't call $699 crazy. It's roughly on par with high-end phones from companies that want to be profitable.

Remember: for many people, a smartphone is more important than their computer at home. Dropping $699 on it every 2-3 years is reasonable for such a crucial communication device.

Last edited:
Let's face it. The Nexus 6P is no where near the quality of a GS7, HTC 10, or even the Huawei P9. Let's use your best case scenario argument of the P9 for being the cheapest of the three, and it's $599. So a hundred dollars means HTC quality, better UI, better warranty with coverage even with bootloader unlocked so better developer support. That's worth the $100 extra bucks.

Let's face it. The Nexus 6P is no where near the quality of a GS7, HTC 10, or even the Huawei P9. Let's use your best case scenario argument of the P9 for being the cheapest of the three, and it's $599. So a hundred dollars means HTC quality, better UI, better warranty with coverage even with bootloader unlocked so better developer support. That's worth the $100 extra bucks.
Says you and no one else? It's a great 2015 phone in every aspect.

AT&T will not carry the HTC 10. You will need to buy the unlocked version direct from HTC.

The HTC 10 Will Not Be Sold By AT&T, But The Unlocked Version Will Be Compatible

HTC is running $100 off on a pre-order with coupon: HTC1008

When it comes to our loyal customers we obsess over ways to say thank you for choosing HTC and giving you reasons to choose us again.

Experience our latest phone with a front and back OIS camera, longer battery life, and BoomSound Hi-Fi Edition—so you can get the most out of everything you enjoy. That's why we're inviting you to an exclusive pre-order on htc.com, so you can get $100 off the new HTC and get it before anyone else.

Coupon code: HTC1008

I'm definitely interested in this phone. Glad they finally got serious about making a camera that doesn't get housed by its competitors. Also curious as to how well optimized that software is with the "okay" sized 3000mah. I seem to recall the M8 doing very well battery wise and then the M9 taking a step backwards even though it had the same size battery.

Either way, I'm glad HTC didn't fuck up anything obvious to make me exclude this phone from the start. Wouldn't mind going back to HTC. I haven't used one since my OG HTC evo days. Before that I had an HTC Hero. Those were the days. :D

Wish folks would stop saying that every phone should be priced like a Nexus. Google sells its devices as cheaply as it does because it doesn't intend to make a profit on them; they're ambassadors for Android. You can certainly say that you'd rather get a Nexus 6P for the price, but I wouldn't call $699 crazy. It's roughly on par with high-end phones from companies that want to be profitable.

Remember: for many people, a smartphone is more important than their computer at home. Dropping $699 on it every 2-3 years is reasonable for such a crucial communication device.

I really doubt whoever is dropping $699 on the phone will keep it for 2 years.

Those iPhone lines outside Apple stores, are not people paying $700+ cash out of pocket for a new iPhone. In the U.S 99% of them are carrier contracted or whatever the new finance options are. Nobody is actually paying the full retail price all upfront, they are just putting down $199 at the most, or on these "Jump on Demand" plans that cost just the tax of the phone to get the new model.

The day the U.S. carriers require you to pay the full amount upfront all at once for a new phone, is the day smartphone sales drop dramatically. Most people will not plop down a whopping $700 for a cell phone, no way not gonna happen in large numbers here in the States.

Off topic;

If I had to poll everyone I know, family, friends, coworkers, and client so mine. Let's say that's 200 people or so. With the vast majority very well off, most making well over $100k a year each. Out of those 200 people, I can count on one hand the number of people that would actually pay full price for a new smartphone. Most of them, 95%, stick with the same phone for 2 or 3 years, and only upgrade on their phone contracts timeline, or even after that, and wait for their phone to practically be broken, or stop working before they upgrade. Out of all of these people, who are financially well off, I don't think any of them would ever dream of paying $700 for a cell phone. And i think that's the pulse for most Americans and their smartphones.

Continued off topic...

Agreed. Everyone in my family still talks about the phones costing $100 or $200 depending on which one they get. I tried explaining that is really $600 and are paying for it one way or another... but, but but, its $200.

...aaaaaaaaaaaaand back on topic.

Good to see HTC back in the action with a viable phone. I had a re branded HTC as an iMate SP-5 (two actually, lost one...) and the HTC Dual. Great phones. The question now is if they are too far gone to become relevant again. Liking the bold decision to have a great battery and not play the thin game.

Preorder an Unlocked HTC 10 for $599 using Code "HTC1008" or "HTC1009" ($100 off)

So is $599 worth it?

Hi-Fi Edition ---- is it like an amp?

Preorder an Unlocked HTC 10 for $599 using Code "HTC1008" or "HTC1009" ($100 off)

So is $599 worth it?

Hi-Fi Edition ---- is it like an amp?

I'm struggling with that as well. I know I can wait a month or two and pick one up from Swappa for under $500 but I can get a gently used Nexus 6P 64gb right now from Swappa for under $450 and is the 10 worth the premium over the 6P.

Not that I need another phone, but new releases always make me think about it. I think I'll just keep the 6s Plus until the fall.

You can purchase it with financing through PayPal with 0% interest for a year. So that's kind of like "jump"

You can purchase it with financing through PayPal with 0% interest for a year. So that's kind of like "jump"

My Verizon contract expires on My 4th, so that lines up almost perfectly with the 10's launch (supposed to be early May, no hard date that I've seen). I'm wondering if I should get it from HTC or not because of this. I guess it depends on what T-Mo's price will be as well. But I'm also wondering if it would be best to get the unlocked variant or T-Mo variant since I doubt the unlocked version will support WiFi calling and VoLTE and stuff through T-Mo. But I would think, since HTC is allowing us to unlock the bootloader, that you could easily flash whatever ROM you wanted on the phone regardless of which variant you get, right? So it may just come down to whichever way I can get a better deal.

I've had an S7 Edge (T-Mobile) for a week, but am thinking of returning it. The edge screen is a bit quirky and over sensitive. I'm constantly launching apps or resizing widgets by accident. This HTC 10 really has me interested. If the reviews are good, I'll jump to it. Otherwise, I'll hold out for the Note 6 or iPhone 7.

Not SD820 for non USA models?

So we'll get a 652?

Not doing favors for their overseas market share...

Meh.. Sounds just like every thing else thats come out recently without any of my personal complaints fixed.. I like the size & I would consider it if I get it for a good enough price (I work for one of the big 4 telco's so I get some pretty monster deals on flagship phones) but I wont pay full price for this.

I like the fact that HTC is still providing an unlock boot loader for users. The flagship price is a turn off since the Chinese are bringing out phones with the same hardware specs for half the price. However, buying HTC, you are getting branding and support so that's the trade off. I'll keep my M8 and hope that the price will fall in the holiday season when the iPhone 7 is slated to appear.

Agreed.

I like the fact that HTC is still providing an unlock boot loader for users. The flagship price is a turn off since the Chinese are bringing out phones with the same hardware specs for half the price. However, buying HTC, you are getting branding and support so that's the trade off. I'll keep my M8 and hope that the price will fall in the holiday season when the iPhone 7 is slated to appear.

What Chinese phone has 4gb of ram, this resolution and using something other than that crappy MediaTech SoC that works on all the US carrier's LTE bands for half the price?

I assume I am in the minority here, but anyone else interested in seeing one of these with Windows 10 on it?

I assume I am in the minority here, but anyone else interested in seeing one of these with Windows 10 on it?

I would say yes, but the mobile apps just aren't there for Windows yet. I wouldn't count on seeing one since HTC is in too precarious a position to make products that aren't likely to sell in big numbers.

latest

:p

Are there data plans up to the task of 1440p video? How bad do 480 or 720 look? Or can Netflix be watched in portrait mode?

One of the more interesting features on this phone is HTC Boost+ where it reduces the resolution to 1080p to save battery life. I don't know if Netflix is one of those apps where they do the reduction.

Nice. Expected something to this effect and glad to see [H] delivered.

I would say yes, but the mobile apps just aren't there for Windows yet. I wouldn't count on seeing one since HTC is in too precarious a position to make products that aren't likely to sell in big numbers.

True, but it is getting better. I am seeing more and more apps from companies that are actual apps on not this website wrapper crap. As far as I know, they dont have to do much for it to run WM10. Would make a compelling option in my book. Agreed that they are in a precarious spot.

Would love to know how many Windows Mobile M8s they sold. Although, releasing it 12+months after the android version at the full price did not do them any favors.

EDIT:pwned by spelling

Last edited:
Would love to know how many Windows Mobile M8s they sold. Although, releasing it 12+months after the android version at the full price did not do them any favors.

Not many if any at all. When they were both out I walked into your usual places, VZW store, Best Buy, etc. You could pick up the android M8 but I never saw a windows one on display let alone a way to purchase one. Difficult to sell phones if you can't even find them. Apps are a lost cause and it's only going down and not up, simple as that. If you're buying WP it's not for XYZ app.

Johnny78: Yea, the couple of HTC phones I've had or seen in the past were decent phones by themselves. Unfortunately some of those were plagued by Android, so that didn't help with the usability. But I've seen an HTC ERIS being chucked directly at a tile floor because of how bad android sucked (android before even 2.2 was out) and it blew the back cover and battery out of the back of the phone. I picked up the pieces, and put everything back together and booted the phone back up. No damage to the hardware at all. Most of the phones since then you can't drop it more than a foot before it suffers catastrophic damage, you would have probably had to be on a roof to drop it as fast as that phone hit the floor. My HTC trophy which was thankfully running WP was a really good phone though and probably one of my favorites.

I could see giving this phone as an honest look over. I'm not necessarily in the market for android but I know someone who might have to jump ship from WP and make a choice. Their hardware could very well be solid so the main question is whether or not you can make Android behave well enough on it. The 6P might have a slight edge software wise but huawei's track record doesn't inspire me to want hardware made by them. Samsung is all over the place so after that they are not a lot of other choices.

I support HTC simply due to fond memories of my old HTC Wizard. This new model looks good on paper but so did their "Ultrapixel" camera idea and we know how that went....

I support HTC simply due to fond memories of my old HTC Wizard. This new model looks good on paper but so did their "Ultrapixel" camera idea and we know how that went....

By "how that went" do you mean that every major flagship started adopting larger pixels sizes?

By "how that went" do you mean that every major flagship started adopting larger pixels sizes?
To be fair, while the idea of larger pixels is good, you still can't compromise on pixel count to the degree the M7 did.

It seems the sweet spot is 12MP combined with large pixels as the Nexus 6P, Galaxy S7 and now the HTC 10 shows.

Back