• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Ht - Fsb - O/c

Joined
Sep 13, 2005
Messages
590
I think that I've got a pretty good O/C going with my 3800X2. 2500 stable, stock cooling. 43C under normal load. All I did was raise the FSB to 250 and drop the memory divider down a notch so that it runs at DDR 416. All other BIOS settings (EP-9NPA+Ultra) set to auto. Seems simple enough.

Now someone informs me that if I drop the HT to 3, I can probably kick the FSB to 270+. I feel ignorant again, after a few days of being the genius overclocker.

I won't ask for any explanations, because I know where the stickies are. What I want to know, is whether monkeying around with the HT settings and/or multipler is going to gain me any real performance gains when I have what seems to be a solid 25% O/C. I've tried not to O/C as much recently, as CPUs have gotten faster, but the temptation remains, and this being my first AMD build after years of P4s, I don't know any better. I figure that 2.5G stable on stock air is plenty and I'd better stop before I wind up muttering to myself late at night, rebuilding a corrupted registry. Isn't that about the practical limit for the 3800x2 without extreme cooling?
 
there is no defined "limit".. it depends entirely on your specific cpu. if you can get more out of it, why not? just make sure you boot at stable speeds and use clockgen to oc in windows to protect your registry ;)

and since you said no explaination.. i won't go into why lowering the ht link multi can help out. :D
i'll just ask one thing: how high can you get the htt/fsb speed?
 
I hadn't thought about Clockgen. Actually I didn't even know about it...;-) I'll have to check it out when I get back in the office. Right now I feel like I could take it up a bit more, but having just added XP64 to the mix on another drive, I want to be careful, since this is now my main machine for work (cranking out lots of newspaper pages). I still have my trusty P4 online if necessary, but I need to actually be productive, so I can't have too much fun just yet. Thanks for the tip...
 
So using clockgen I kicked it up to 2550 in XP64. 2650 was immediate bluescreen. 2550 seems okay, although I notice that it reverts to the BIOS setting (2500) upon rebooting. I presume I can have it run in Startup or something to save the settings?
 
Well, I kinda glanced at 'em. Guess I missed most of it in my need for quick gratification... I'll have to take a longer look. Thanks...
 
Back
Top