HSF suggestions

KoolDrew

[H]ard|Gawd
I have been overclocking the rig in my sig and I really think my temps are holding me back. At 1.65v and 285x8 it runs 55C w/ F@H running. With other things it even goes over that close to 60C. Right now I am only running stock cooling so I guess that is why. I am a student and do not have a lot of money to spend right now so I am looking for "the best bang for my buck" heatsink I can buy. Also, which fan woul you recommend along with it (that is, if it doesn't come with one).

I am assuming after I get better cooling I should see much better overclocking results? Even with stock cooling I've gotten it to around 2.2GHz, so I'm interested to see how far I can go with better cooling. Whenever I used to raise voltage it never seemed to help me become more stable, but I guess that may be because of my temps. Also, should I worry about chipset cooling or anything? Could this possibly hold back my overclock? Anything that will help me get a better overclock I'd appreciate.

The Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro is good, it is generally relatively cheap and should work well.

Chipsets can definently hold back overclocking. If your NB is hotter than your CPU, it may be the cause of instability. Zalman makes a few good sinks for chipsets, but the best is probably this Thermalright one: http://www.svc.com/hr-05-sli.html

The Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro is good, it is generally relatively cheap and should work well.

On Newegg it is $65 shipped. That is way more then I was planning on spending.

Chipsets can definently hold back overclocking. If your NB is hotter than your CPU, it may be the cause of instability.

How do I know how hot my chipset is? Right now I'm using CoreTemp, but it only tells me my CPU temp. I'd prefer not to buy cooling for my chipset unless it really is needed to see the results I want.

Would I need to buy some Arctic Silver also if I go with the Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro? I'm really considering it so I'm checking out some reviews right now.

Also, I currently have an Antec Super Lanboy and it has two 120mm fans. One in the front and one in the back. Then I have the stock HSF on my CPU and a Fortron AX400-PN with a 120mm fan above it. Any suggestions on setting my fan layout up for best results? I actually wouldn't mind doing a little case modding either. However, keep in mind it would be my first time doing any type of case modding. I do think it would be fun and interesting though.

Back