• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

HSF Suggestions for a moveable system

Tashtego

n00b
Joined
Jun 3, 2008
Messages
20
Hi everyone, I am looking for suggestions for a HSF for my new build. The TRUE with a decent fan seems like a safe bet, but I know that I will be moving my computer quite often in the next year and I am a bit worried about the weight of that cooler. Do you think that I will have a problem with this HS (even with a bolt-through kit)? Is there something lighter that performs well? I was thinking that the TRU-90 might be a good alternative...but even this one seems a bit heavy. Any thoughts?
 
You should check out some non-tower heatsinks like the Thermalright SI-128SE, Scythe Zipang, etc. The better models out there perform almost on-par with the best tower heatsinks available, and paired with a bolt-through kit(if necessary), the weight wouldn't be an issue while moving it.
 
Look for something with a backplate and bolt-through design. The "clip" style is nice to install, but I don't trust it. The backplate + bolt through is a solid mount and its the way any engineer would really design a product like this, if they weren't trying to cut costs.
 
You should check out some non-tower heatsinks like the Thermalright SI-128SE, Scythe Zipang, etc. The better models out there perform almost on-par with the best tower heatsinks available, and paired with a bolt-through kit(if necessary), the weight wouldn't be an issue while moving it.

I don't have a TRUE, so I can't say anything about it, but I do have a Thermalright SI-128SE and it works very well. I take my rig to LAN parties once a month and have never had an issue.
 
Thanks for the responses guys. The Thermalright SI-128SE seems like the perfect solution -- it will also help to cool my other components since my case doesn't have a side fan to blow on the mobo.
 
For what it's worth, I have a Thermalright SI-120(the SI-128's predecessor) and it cools extremely well. The SI-128 is quite a bit better, so you should be very satisfied with it.
 
Back
Top