HSF stuck to socket, removal advice?

Spree

Limp Gawd
Hi

I have a thermalright sp-94 HSF applied with arctic ceramique to my 2.8e in sig. I'm getting ridiculous temps however. I'm at 3.4ghz now and during games I'm well into the 70s C. Idle is high 50s. The outside temp gets to no more than 25C and I have a well ventilated case (thermaltake xaser v) with 6 fans.

A while ago I wanted to reseat my hsf but found that after unscrewing the sp-94 it was still firmly attached to the cpu. Fearful of pulling to hard and damaging the cpu pins I backed off. Its now summer here tho and I really want to get my temps sorted out. Does anyone have advice to give on how to remove a hsf that has literally gotten stuck to the cpu?

cheers

happened to me before with artic silver on a p4

best advice i can give you is to carefully wiggle the heatsink back and forth until the as5 seperates(shouldnt take much force and be careful)

but whatever you do dont pull up youll probably take the cpu out of the socket

Turn on your system for a little bit to melt the AC5 and then it should come off after twisting it carefully.

lol, I actually pulled the cpu with the SP-94 once... cpu survived :eek: :D I had AS5 tho

oh yeah, socket is fine. I am running same CPU/mobo right now - with w/c installed - that was the reason to remove SP-94 in the first place.

TehQuick said:
oh yeah, socket is fine. I am running same CPU/mobo right now - with w/c installed - that was the reason to remove SP-94 in the first place.

Do you have a prescott as well? if so what kind of temps did u get with the sp-94?

I meant same CPU and mobo that i had before when I pulled it with the SP-94. No, I have northwood and temp were pretty high - mostly due to high ambient temp. My Abit IC7 reported CPU idle temp in the vicinity of 50C, and 65-70C at load. I've heard tho that Abit mobos show higher than usual temps.

TehQuick said:
I meant same CPU and mobo that i had before when I pulled it with the SP-94. No, I have northwood and temp were pretty high - mostly due to high ambient temp. My Abit IC7 reported CPU idle temp in the vicinity of 50C, and 65-70C at load. I've heard tho that Abit mobos show higher than usual temps.

Yep I knew u meant the same cpu mobo u pulled out, just wondering if you had a prescott anyway :) Yeah I've heard people saying that Abit mobos give higher temps than normal, I wonder by how much tho.

Not that you should do this, but I once yanked a P4 out of the socket by the heatsink. The socket and CPU survived but I am not going to take the heatsink off ever again.

This problem should be solved with the LGA 775 socket though.

Spree said:
Hi

I have a thermalright sp-94 HSF applied with arctic ceramique to my 2.8e in sig. I'm getting ridiculous temps however. I'm at 3.4ghz now and during games I'm well into the 70s C. Idle is high 50s. The outside temp gets to no more than 25C and I have a well ventilated case (thermaltake xaser v) with 6 fans.

A while ago I wanted to reseat my hsf but found that after unscrewing the sp-94 it was still firmly attached to the cpu. Fearful of pulling to hard and damaging the cpu pins I backed off. Its now summer here tho and I really want to get my temps sorted out. Does anyone have advice to give on how to remove a hsf that has literally gotten stuck to the cpu?

cheers

Happened to me when I used way too much AS5, didnt even realize. Anyway i yanked the stock hsf out and was horrified to see the cpu still firmly attached to the bottom of the heatsink. :eek: This occurred even though I had not released the socket latch that is supposed to keep the cpu in the socket. Luckily the cpu and socket were fine.

My suggestion is to run your cpu at 100% for about 10 mins (ripping and re-encoding a dvd is good for this) and then to quickly turn off your comp and to remove the hsf. Worked like a charm when we did this on my bro's computer which also had waaaaaaay too much AS5 on the cpu and hsf.

I had this problem and by accident i ripped my cpu out of my socket.
eek.gif

That was stupid.

^ I ripped two Athlon 64 processors out of two different motherboards and I destroyed both of them. :(

ouch. bent pins?

i was soo lucky my 3.0cghz proc was alright i don't have much money to replace it.

WIth SP-94, the problem is u can't twist it much, cause it's sitting on those mounting rods. And I didn't really notice that it got stuck. BTW, it doesn't take much as5 to glue them together, I had a little drop of it at the center, as per instructions but I used it for almost a year, so as5 baked in and bonded CPU and SP94.

The Doc said:
^ I ripped two Athlon 64 processors out of two different motherboards and I destroyed both of them. :(

Did that to my shuttle last week, lets just say it is now a s753 cpu ;)

The Doc said:

Yer my friend did that with his 754. The fan mounting system on 754/939/940 is so crap. On the 754 you cant wiggle the stock hsf back and forth so the only way is up. Intels pinless 775 cage type socket shits on the design of the athlon ones imo. Xeon one is awesome aswell.

But yer, to get it out, just run prime95 for 10 mins with your puter on its side without the side panel and the latch on the hsf undone. Shut it down and straight away start wigglin/lightly pulling and it should come off. With the SP's mounting bracket ma-bob if you can twist the CPU on the socket then you can just slide it off instead of pulling if it comes to it. Might leave some gunk on the side of the chip but a tissue can fix that.

haha the way that i keep that from happening is i keep messing with my system so much that the thermal paste never has time to sitck!!

iv never had that problem but a friend of mine did. we pulled it out of the socket but the proc was still stuck to the bottom. we heated the oven to warm untill it kicked itself off then we waited till it was a safe temp inside the oven. after it got down to a, what we thought of, safe temp we put the proc and hsf in the oven for about a min or so. then the proc came off without a problem. its kinda risky doing it that way but it worked, and so did the proc!!

tim

Add me to the ripping CPU along with HSF club:(. I wanted to replace the pad that comes with the stock fan on a Pentium with Arctic Silver 5. Ended up with about 7 or 8 badly bent pins on a P4 2.8C. After over an hour of using all I can to rebend the pins to their proper position (including a Caramilk bar wrapper to even out the pins :eek: ), everything ended up fine, but not something I feel like repeating anytime soon.

i cant remove my hsf at all wihtout the cpu coming out attached. ive done it 2 or 3 times now, havent bent any pins yet, thank god....that as5 might as well be superglue.

TehQuick said:
lol, I actually pulled the cpu with the SP-94 once... cpu survived :eek: :D I had AS5 tho

Damn I did that Like 3-4 times. Freaked the crap out of me the first few times but not to much anymore. However everything was fine and now I just twist the sp-94 side to side a fews times and stuff to loosen it up then take it off.

i did that for the first time about a week ago when i was cleaning out my p4. i wiggled it a bit, then pulled, and kablammo! i had a zalman flower and a 2.6 sitting in my hand :p . good thing i was pulling straight up, or i would have had to play "inventive ways to unbend pins." they should really design it better. or maybe this is their way of trying to make modders pay more money, and stop o/cing ;) .

Back