• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

HR-02 Macho vs H100

manny1222

Gawd
Joined
Mar 11, 2012
Messages
732
So, I've been toying with the idea of water cooling for a long time. I'm starting to feel like it might be too high maintenance for me, plus the cost of a good loop.
Instead I think I'd go with a H100 push/pull with some 4 cougar vortex fans (currently have 2 and I like them). I'm just trying to decide if it's really worth the upgrade from my Thermalright HR-02 Macho. Here's HardOCP's review of the H100 showing slightly better temps than HR-02 Macho.
I have a 2500K running 24/7 at 4.5GHz (I've pushed it to 4.9 but got concerned with temps). In normal gaming my temps are averaging 47C and probably topping out at 51C (that I've seen). IBT and Prime95 top out at 71C and 65C respectively (I don't remember but I think that was at 4.8GHz).
Other things to consider - I have a EVGA GTX 680 FTW which they don't make a waterblock for, another reason why I'm shifting away from a full WC loop. I might consider a H70 for the GTX 680 with one of those mod brackets I see on other forums. Also I'm getting a good deal on a corsair 4 x 4gb ram, but I'll only be able to use 2 of them with the HR-02 Macho because of it's massive "Macho" size.

So guys, considering price and performance and other points, is the upgrade worth it?
 
Considerng the power consumption of a 2500K (95watt), H100 is just a waste from my point of view. (Water is not doing better than air in most cases but will carry tremendous heat, 250watt estimated in the case of H100.) If you only over-clocks at stock voltage as most users do, the difference in temp will be very minimal. The only time you'll see a bigger difference is when you speed up the dual fans (costs of noise) in exchange for it.
 
No. Why spend $100 for what's going to end up being similar temperatures? From my perspective, you'd need to see significant improvements to justify that kind of money, and I don't think you are going to see it from your components.
 
You guys do realize that with the probe that [H] used to test at 38.9c that the core temps were in the high 60s. What do you think that the core temps looked like on the Macho?

You should be able to hit 4.8ghz or so with an H60 and a couple of decent, quiet fans in push/pull.
 
It doesn't really matter. His temps are maxing out at 71C at 4.8 (if he remembers correctly), which is a perfrectly acceptable temperature for a 2500K. Why spend $100 (or frankly, any amount) to lower temps that are already fine? So you can run at 4.9 instead of 4.8? I know this is [H], but that's just spending money for the sake of spending money.
 
Back
Top