HP's webOS event discussion

WebOS was seriously made for a tablet. Looks like they're finally getting it onto a decently-specced (but not great) smartphone too. They still need a ~4-4.5" slate device.

This looks like an ecosystem I can get on board with.

I have been watching. I am disappointed with the availability of Summer though.... Way too late

I guess the Pre3 is pretty neat, a little bigger screen and resolution.

I have been watching. I am disappointed with the availability of Summer though.... Way too late

I'm guessing the lack of iPad 2 announcements is why they are giving it a vague and far-out date, so they can go head-to-head with Apple. Except unlike Apple, these actually run on real 4G.

Fail. I had $500 and was looking to buy today.

HP even said that they wanted to be operate "more like Apple" - in that they wanted to announce a product and then have it in stores within 1-2 weeks.........

Lost my sale. Summer is way too late.

Yeah, the TouchPad looks like the first real competition to the iPad in terms of the slickness of the whole package, but it's a year late.
By the time it hits the shelves it'll be going up against the iPad2, which will have insane momentum.

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if the reason it's not out until summer is because Apple has booked all the 9.7inch LCD production in the world for the iPad 2, and thats when there will be any available.

I like it very very much. The only misstep HP made IMHO is holding a press conference so early. The same mistake was made with the WebOS announcement at CES two years ago, where the phones were announced but then people had to wait months before they could purchase them.

HP needs to commit to this platform like only Microsoft would. The first few years will be extremely difficult given the iPad's insane momentum with consumers and developers. That said, the core platform seems very robust and very well thought out. It deserves to compete.

In any case, super nice, first legit competition to iOS from a usability standpoint in a tablet form factor. Now Microsoft needs to do a similar thing with taking the WP7 UI paradigm and adapting it to tablets.

And Google.... still needs to get a frigging clue...

I liked the syncing of call info and whatnot between the phone and the tablet but unless they can do what RIM is claiming they can it isn't enough.

I will say I really enjoyed the first pre although it was a first gen product. I hate my android phones which have universally sucked. I'm interested in seeing the HP and RIM tablets in action.

I'm guessing the lack of iPad 2 announcements is why they are giving it a vague and far-out date, so they can go head-to-head with Apple. .

A more obvious and sensible reason, is that they aren't ready until then.

Clearly if they had a product, they would ship it. Nothing is gained by sitting on their hands.

They are engaging in the long pre-announcement because they have no product, hoping some fans will wait for them. Much like RIM when they announced the playbook last fall.

I am a little shocked at how much of an iPad clone the touchpad is. It has exactly the same screen, dimensions, and weight. If it wasn't for black color on the case it would be a perfect duplicate.

I know there is only so much you can do with the tablet form factor, but even the knock-off companies trying to make fake iPads in China don't clone this closely.

So I am an Avid Webos fan, and like my pre. I figured I could wait until the Pre3 became available for sprint this summer to replace my pre. I figured I could because I was still supposedly going to get WebOS 2.0. Well not anymore.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/02/09/original-pre-pre-plus-pixi-and-pixi-plus-wont-get-updated-to/

I am very disappointed.

no carriers were announced either. i thought for sure sprint would announce the new pre phone on the 7th followed up by HP announcing the tablet and it's syncing ability.

i'm not confident that sprint will be the first carrier to get the pre3.

i also have a pre and i was waiting for sprint to announce a "superphone" along w/ ALL of the competition. so much for that.

Palm died a while ago. Waiting on new WebOS products is a fool's errand. They won't get the market acceptance and apps of Android or iOS at this point.

And they will probably only launch on Sprint which is the dumpster of cell carriers.

And they will probably only launch on Sprint which is the dumpster of cell carriers.

The dumpster of cell carriers, except that they have the best plans and second best coverage. Did you know Sprint customers roam for free on Verizon's network? Data included. You only get 2G off-network, but it's pretty awesome to have data everywhere.

the touchpad looks promising. the hardware has a proven formfactor (similar to ipad) and the dual core should be comparable to the ipad2 and the android tablets. looking good.

As a pre user who has gone from pre to evo and back to pre I can say that webOS for me is way better than android. I am definitely getting the pre 3 this summer if it is on sprint. The touchpad looks great, but I don't really have a use for a device like that.

Hopefully HP announces more webOS devices to be released this year also. It seems to me that they are putting a lot of weight behind webOS in the form of product development and marketing. Marketing will be key to the success of webOS imo.

As to the webOS app market. It is not as lacking as people who don't use webOS claim it is. There are plenty of the great free apps and useful productivity apps that other OS markets have. Also the homebrew community is exelent and actually recieves support for palm and hp

HP just donated a 10k dollar server to the webOS internals group
http://www.precentral.net/hp-donates-server-homebrew-webos-internals-group

This is the group that operates the homebrew app market called preware and created custom kernals that allows for the 1000mhz overclock on my pre (originally 500mhz). They also created a great easy to use free tether app.

The overclocked pre is like a whole new device, much faster than the stock pre.

Maybe the army of developers who are going to jump ship from Symbian/Meego/Nokia will end up supporting WebOS :D

Back