• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

HP ZR30w problems!

bleomycin

Limp Gawd
Joined
Aug 14, 2010
Messages
242
Hello everyone,

I have an hp ZR30w and i'm experiencing issues with the monitor randomly deciding to go blank. My setup is 1x gtx 480 plugged into the ZR30w as primary, apple 30" secondary, and a 2nd card pushing a dell 30". At random, probably once every day or two, the ZR30w will turn off and my desktop resolution on the remaining 2 monitors will drop to something extremely low accompanied by a windows hardware disconnected sound. This happens even when the machine is locked with all screens turned off. If i unplug the power from the HP monitor for a little while and plug it back in windows will play it's sound and all monitors will return to their native resolutions.

I have tried swapping my 2nd graphics card for an ati and the problem persists. This monitor will sometimes refuse to turn on from a cold boot of the system forcing me to power cycle it and the system, regardless of which graphics card or computer it is plugged into. Has anyone else experienced this? It is driving me absolutely insane! I have already replaced the majority of my system hardware trying to track down the cause and it's now dawning on me that it's probably the monitor? Could this be an HDCP issue? Thank you for any help.
 
Last edited:
Is the hp using display port? If so try dvi, if not try dp.
I could alzo be a cable problem or maybe driver or frmware related. Id start with trading ports and the teading out the cable. It could also be the power supply slumping. You might want to try to run an extension cable from another outlet to your monitor.
 
Is the hp using display port? If so try dvi, if not try dp.
I could alzo be a cable problem or maybe driver or frmware related. Id start with trading ports and the teading out the cable. It could also be the power supply slumping. You might want to try to run an extension cable from another outlet to your monitor.

Thanks for the suggestions, it is using DVI, unfortunately i do not have display port on my graphics cards. I will swap cables with my dell monitor that has never given me any trouble and see if anything happens. I doubt it's power related, everything is plugged into a large voltage regulating apc ups. And as i said this happens with completely different computers with the HP as the only monitor. I'll give the cable swap a shot and if the problem persist i guess call HP and try to get it warrantied, but that really sounds like a nightmare...
 
Back
Top