HP ZR24w

ok, anyone know how to use this software basICColor? So many options, most of which are greek to me.. Can anyone help? Please pm me if you can :)

Without an consideration given to price, is the ZR24w turning out to be a better monitor than the U2410?

Howie: we hope so, waiting for some official review......but it's around 100-150€ cheaper.

Hey guys, been lurking for a while and figured why not register.

I just ordered one of these bad boys, I will probably get it sometime this week or the next.
Anything I should be doing first in particular?

Thanks in advance :)

Last edited:
FlatpanelsHD has now received the ZR24W. The review should be online soon.

Link: HP ZR24W received

I hope they'll compare the ZR24W to Dell U2410, NEC EA231WMi and NEC PA241W that they did reviews on recently.

Dell Canada has the U2410 for $429. It costs me the same to get the ZR24w, which is about $20 cheaper. I really want to see the differences between these two monitors.

If you read the comments in the article on FlatpanelsHD now they say that they plan on including a HP ZR24W and Dell U2410 comparison in the review. :)

Dell Canada has the U2410 for $429. It costs me the same to get the ZR24w, which is about $20 cheaper. I really want to see the differences between these two monitors.

Ya I'm struggling with this decision. I have an order for the ZR24w and can still cancel it in time. I like the extra inputs on the Dell even if I don't end up using it, but I want the better overall monitor.

I haven't. The color section is set to 6500K and if I choose custom color, all the RGB values are at 255. It seems odd that my calibration sensor is measuring the color temp as 7100K...surprised it's that far off from 6500K...

I never found those kind of presets to be more accurate than "warmer" and "colder".

Without an consideration given to price, is the ZR24w turning out to be a better monitor than the U2410?

Well, one has a normal gamut, the other has to emulate it.

Ya I'm struggling with this decision. I have an order for the ZR24w and can still cancel it in time. I like the extra inputs on the Dell even if I don't end up using it, but I want the better overall monitor.

I got the exact same thoughts. I have an order on the ZR24w which I can return it since its unopened anyway. I would like the inputs but I might not use them as well. However I might get a second 360 later this year to go near the computer area.

Overall I want the better monitor, now that both the monitors are in the same price range,

Anyone else have a picture of their final calibration results? I'm just wondering if I can do better than the 160 cd/m and .6 black point I got and what you used to get it...

I thought so as well. If someone has figured out how to get this to work I'd probably buy three zr24w on the spot.

Well I just did the math and since HP is charging shipping and sales tax the monitor comes to about $380 after bing. Not as great a deal as it originally appears anyway. :eek:

The U2410 is around £140 more than the ZR24w here in the UK. How much are both monitors going for where you live?

In Canada, they are almost same at the moment, U2410 is about $10 - $30 more expensive. Normally the U2410 is more expensive but today it is on sale for $429 which is about the same price as the ZR24w.

EDIT: By the way, the review from FlatpanelsHD will be up in few days confirmed on the site's comments.
I can't finish the review this fast. Need a couple of days with the monitor at least. But it shouldn't be too long.

So guess I am just going to trust the impressions here and open my ZR24w considering that the U2410 will be at the regular price from tomorrow.

Last edited:
In Canada, they are almost same at the moment, U2410 is about $10 - $30 more expensive. Normally the U2410 is more expensive but today it is on sale for $429 which is about the same price as the ZR24w.

Shocking. The Dell sells in the UK for £429 which is roughly 657.718 CAD! You folks over the pond don't realise how good you have it....! :)

Shocking. The Dell sells in the UK for £429 which is roughly 657.718 CAD! You folks over the pond don't realise how good you have it....! :)

The regular retail price of the Dell U2410 is $600 CAD. However it goes on sale once every month or two for about $100 - $200 cheaper.

Today's only deal of $429 is the lowest it has ever been.

Ah, yea, but Im in the US and they wont deal. I just spent the last 20 minutes with a chat rep and they would not come down to the canadian sales price. Bastards!

Ah, yea, but Im in the US and they wont deal. I just spent the last 20 minutes with a chat rep and they would not come down to the canadian sales price. Bastards!

If you can wait, I am pretty sure you will be able to find the U2410 around $450. I have seen that before in the US either will Dell coupons or a direct sale.

yea I can wait, I am currently running three dell 2007fps in eyefinity and have a 3007wfp sitting next to my desk collecting dust, so I figure I will just sell them and pick up three U2410s when the price comes down.
0306201012723.jpg

I was planning on buying the ZR24w, but I didn't realize a co-worker owned a U2410. It turns out that I really liked it, and I had no issues whatsoever with the AG coating. I saw it was on sale on Saturday ($499) and purchased it (should be here on Thursday). Did their sale end on Monday or something?

yea I can wait, I am currently running three dell 2007fps in eyefinity and have a 3007wfp sitting next to my desk collecting dust, so I figure I will just sell them and pick up three U2410s when the price comes down.
0306201012723.jpg

Why not just use the 3007WFP and buy 2 x U2410's ?

You can't (currently) run Eyefinity with mismatched display resolutions.

Nope and what I wanted was to have the 3007 in the center and have two 2007fps flanking it but that would require Portrait x Landscape x Portrait setups and neither ATI nor Nvidia support that and I am tired of waiting. Makes no sense to have a $700 dollar monitor sitting on the floor unused for six months.

Right, on the advise of others, I set my ATI CCC colour settings to default and recalibrated my screen using only the hardware settings of the monitor itself. This is what I achieved:

http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/9954/calibration2.gif

Colour Difference: 0.04 Dab

Kelvin: 6500K

Luminance: 120.5 cm/m2

Settings:

Brightness: 0
Contrast: 80
R: 240
G: 216
B: 203
Sharpness: 4
Dynamic Contrast: Off

;)

Damn, it looks like my Zr24w order is backordered. I'm seriously considering cancelling and picking up the U2410. Which there was some comparisons to go by.

Damn, it looks like my Zr24w order is backordered. I'm seriously considering cancelling and picking up the U2410. Which there was some comparisons to go by.

Well.. the first reviews will be around at the end of this week, you placed you're order just a bit too soon.
I honestly don't know what the best choice is. When the ZR24w was announced back in january it was labeled as the main alternative to the Dell U2410 but I guess you'll just have to wait (if you're able to) a couple more days to see if it actually is a worthy alternative.. if price is an indication the U2410 *should* be the better display overall... (or the price will just start to drop in the months to come..)

Last edited:
Well.. the first reviews will be around at the end of this week, you placed you're order just a bit too soon.

I knew when the professional reviews were expected to come out, but I wanted to have a monitor to play with this week. :eek: Besides, the U2410 is on sale here in Canada today so the decision would have been made today.

Anyhow, I think I'm going to stick with my Zr24w order for now. Even though the Zr24w is still pretty new, there seems to be a lot less issues than the U2410. We'll see... I just might cancel my order and order it from somewhere else that can get me my monitor quicker. There seems to be a couple of users here that have had a problematic U2410 and the Zr24w and prefer the HP.

What is the input lag on the ZR24W though? Does it have a 'Throughput' or 'Game' mode that will reduce the lag to 16ms average or less?

I just got my monitor and set it up, messing around with the settings right now.

As others have mentioned, Brightness does seem to be high, got it all the way down to 0.

Will post a picture sometime tomorrow.

I knew when the professional reviews were expected to come out, but I wanted to have a monitor to play with this week. :eek: Besides, the U2410 is on sale here in Canada today so the decision would have been made today.

Anyhow, I think I'm going to stick with my Zr24w order for now. Even though the Zr24w is still pretty new, there seems to be a lot less issues than the U2410. We'll see... I just might cancel my order and order it from somewhere else that can get me my monitor quicker. There seems to be a couple of users here that have had a problematic U2410 and the Zr24w and prefer the HP.

I ordered the monitor from Cendirect.com on the 19th around 1 PM and I got it delivered to my door in less than 24hrs. I live in Windsor, Ontario it came to $446 by the time I got it delivered. Who did you order it from and how much did you pay?

I don't get HP's distribution strategy ... how come neither Newegg nor Amazon have this monitor yet? I guess HP has some kind of agreement not to give it to the top tier online retailers for some period of time, or they don't yet have the quantities that the top tier guys demand.

If demand slackens a bit I think the price will come down.

Back