HP ZR24w

I wouldn't worry about this - they did the same to me, so I called them a week ago. They were supposed to fix this so others wouldn't wonder about it, but obviously they did not. I think the invoice spec list is being driven by the ZR22w's specs, not the ZR24w's. I did get the ZR24w, and also the salesperson assured me that was what I was getting (but also that this mistaken listing would be fixed). I think this was one of the first questions I asked the people here - way back on page 15 or so, I think.
Thanks!
I thought that was the deal.

c1684568.jpg

resolution is not 1920x1080 as some are seeing on site details

I received mine yesterday. So far I have played Battlefield Bad Company 2, Counter-Strike Source and Modern Warfare 2. The monitor was flawless in all three games. I didn't notice any major ghosting or lag. I am VERY happy with this purchase. I was very close to pulling the trigger on the U2410, good thing I waited.

I received mine yesterday. So far I have played Battlefield Bad Company 2, Counter-Strike Source and Modern Warfare 2. The monitor was flawless in all three games. I didn't notice any major ghosting or lag.

Yes, but is it good for pr0n? Just kidding... ROFL.

I am VERY happy with this purchase. I was very close to pulling the trigger on the U2410, good thing I waited.

Ditto.

I received mine yesterday. So far I have played Battlefield Bad Company 2, Counter-Strike Source and Modern Warfare 2. The monitor was flawless in all three games. I didn't notice any major ghosting or lag. I am VERY happy with this purchase. I was very close to pulling the trigger on the U2410, good thing I waited.

You state the monitor was flawless and that you didn't notice any major ghosting. So there was some ghosting that you did notice (just not "major")? I ask because I also play FPS games. Thanks.

Damn Fedex -- they changed my delivery estimate from Friday to Monday. I can't play with the new displays over the weekend....
BTW, mine shipped from Newark, CA

[edit] Fedex changed their delivery date back to Friday and actually delivered all 3 monitors. I've been contemplating on how to arrange them. 3600x1920 (eyefinity portrait) or 5760x1200 (eyefinity landscape) or no eyefinity at all with a PLP setup. I'm leaning toward a eyefinity portrait profile for gaming and a 3x (1200x1920) extended desktop for non-gaming.

Last edited:
Yikes!

Someone mentioned that their zr24w was shipped from Oregon (from Cost Central?), but for some reason mine is being shipped from Ohio. Which means that be next Wednesday untill mine shows up. =( Oh well... At least it's on the way, although I wish that I'd waited until it was out of stock and $6 cheaper, than when it looked like it was in stock, buy not really...(when there was only 1 left). =(

Like some others, this is my first new monitor since the early 2000's. I've got a Sony G520 CRT that still works great, but is pretty bulky and is taking up a lot of space now that I've been moved into the basement, because we've got a baby on the way. I'm really glad that the response time seems so good, since I at least hope to play games on it every once in a while. Anyway, I'm really looking forward to it showing up!

So how long does does costcentral take to ship from the date of order? Is it faster than HP's shipping?

Mine shipped next day. I ordered yesterday and have a tracking number today.

I just received my ZR24W a few days ago and starting to use it.
I have never used an IPS panel so that might explain my question. I am running Vista 64 with cleartype turned on which has always been my setup for LCD's. When I am viewing text....say for example the text on this forum, I see some greens and reds around various letters.

I remember this from XP days and tuning cleartype resolved it on some LCD's. Something about RGB vs. BGR pixel order or some such and then tuning the boldness. Turning off cleartype does correct it, but then you don't get the font smoothing benefit. And the cleartype tuner doesn't work in Vista 64! Gotta love it.....Ironically my old, cheaper LCD did not do this as much. Most noticeable on smaller text and it varies with the zoom. Does the ZR24W use a different sub-pixel structure such that you need to change cleartype's setting or is it just tuning it? Anyone know of a cleartype 64 utility? The non-Msft one I used to use does not work on 64. I searched and found the cleartype registry settings and may play with those although the utility was so much easier.

Do other people with this monitor see what I am describing? Normal for this type of panel? Or a problem with my unit? Since it goes away when I turn cleartype off, I am leaning toward a tweak issue with cleartype.

FWIW it did calibrate to 6500K and 90cd/m^2/.50cd/m^2 white luminance/black point targets with a Spyder 2 Pro. The numbers say it is right on although it looks a little less "color saturated" than I am used to. However the black level and color balance looks very good. Still need to use it with some photos for a final assessment.

Thanks,

BJB

Yikes!

Someone mentioned that their zr24w was shipped from Oregon (from Cost Central?), but for some reason mine is being shipped from Ohio. Which means that be next Wednesday untill mine shows up. =( Oh well... At least it's on the way, although I wish that I'd waited until it was out of stock and $6 cheaper, than when it looked like it was in stock, buy not really...(when there was only 1 left). =(

Like some others, this is my first new monitor since the early 2000's. I've got a Sony G520 CRT that still works great, but is pretty bulky and is taking up a lot of space now that I've been moved into the basement, because we've got a baby on the way. I'm really glad that the response time seems so good, since I at least hope to play games on it every once in a while. Anyway, I'm really looking forward to it showing up!

Ya that's me, I wish we could have swapped! I wish they shipped from the nearest warehouse to your location that had the sock...I am sure I would have gotten it yesterday or today, but noooo my luck gets the farthest possible location from me! I ordered Monday morning, should be here Tuesday, augh!

You state the monitor was flawless and that you didn't notice any major ghosting. So there was some ghosting that you did notice (just not "major")? I ask because I also play FPS games. Thanks.

Let me rephrase that; there is no visible ghosting.

im glad i had waited on picking up this monitor ..since i almost went and got a Dell U2410....ZR24w ftw!

dyna said:
I purchased this monitor from HP direct and received it this week. It does look beautiful. I did have a full dead pixel in the lower left corner, a little right of the start button in windows 7. I was planning on taking up HP on their 30 day return policy and get another. It seems like most people here got dead pixel free monitors, so i thought i would give it another try.

HP will not accept an item on their 30 day return policy if it has a defect aka dead pixel/scratch. It must be handled through the lcd technical support department. After 1.5 hrs on the phone, they created a case, I assume it gets reviewed under the warranty policy if it is acceptable for exchange. In the end, the case manager accepted the return and they are going to ship me another overnight and send me a shipping label to return the monitor with the bad pixel.

I talked to a sales person and they said had I not told them about the bad pixel, the process would have been smoother, it would have been handled as a return vs warranty. In the end it seems to have worked out through the technical support but if you plan on returning the monitor to HP, they will probably help you out in the end but it may be painful in the process.

I got my order in this afternoon (well, 3/31) - figured I'd share my experience thus far with my monitor.

I have one fully dead pixel near center (dark on r/g/b/w)
I have one interesting sub-pixel defect also near center that is "dark" on b/g/w and invisible on r/bl. I guess this is a combo b/g stuck on dark sub-pixels in the same pixel?

I called up my sales representative (very professional, and I am happy with the services thus far), after explaining the issue I was conference called in with a technical support member. They are sending a tech out to services the display (I assume with a replacement, will let you know). Honestly it seems a bit excessive and I'd just assume they ship me a new panel and I'd mail the old one back, but I didn't see a point in arguing.

On to the general review (disclaimer: the panel is being exchanged for pixel defects regardless).

I had just sent back a Dell u2410 after playing lets-see-who-we-can-transfer-you-to-next oh call dropped with the Dell support staff. The u2410 I returned had a medium warm tint on the center-left and a cold tint on the far right - I personally found it quite annoying and unacceptable. The ZR24w has a mild warm tint in the bottom middle section of the monitor, but it is not nearly as noticeable and its location is something I could live with. The u2410 coloring was apparent on any skin tone, gray, or white background. Comparatively the ZR24w's tint is only really visible on grays or whites when you look hard for it.

The off-angle glare is noticeable on the ZR24w but it is still the best IPS panel I have seen with respect to this. The u2410's off-angle glare I can only describe as "crushing" - it was so bad that at a distance of 2 feet the four corners of the monitor glowed white due to it.

I have not experienced any problems with the brightness/etc controls being reset from power off or sleep mode that some other users have reported.

I regret that I had to send out the Dell for return before I was able to take delivery of the HP, and can not submit any good side-by-side comparison photos.

For what it is worth, I am confident that when I get a defect-free panel from HP I will be completely satisfied with this monitor.

-sfhf

The ZR24w has a mild warm tint in the bottom middle section of the monitor, but it is not nearly as noticeable and its location is something I could live with.

I do not see anything like this in either of my ZR24w's.

Given the proximity of this tint to the pixel defects you described, I am wondering if they are related.

bofors said:
I do not see anything like this in either of my ZR24w's.

I have been told I am overly sensitive by family members and friends who have seen the screens (both the Dell and HP), but they eventually do spot it - 3/4 saw it on the Dell 2/4 see it on the HP. It is most noticeable when viewing grainy gray patterns, such as those in this test http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/inversion.php.

On the subject of that test, my ZR24w shows only a tiny bit of shimmer on the "b" tests, where my u2410 looked like a pixel disco night on every "b" test and some others.

EDIT: With that said I'd be perfectly happy if the slight tint disappeared completely with the replacement panel :D.

-sfhf

Last edited:
EDIT: With that said I'd be perfectly happy if the slight tint disappeared completely with the replacement panel :D.

I expect it will, but let us know if you can still detect a tinted region on your replacement.

So is the ZR24w a safe buy? I'm thinking of getting this over the ea231wmi.

Well its looking like it , cheaper than the U2410 and so far no tinting issues. Looks like a winner.

does anyone know how to get into the service menu?
wanting some firmware, panel rev numbers please

The off-angle glare is noticeable on the ZR24w but it is still the best IPS panel I have seen with respect to this. The u2410's off-angle glare I can only describe as "crushing" - it was so bad that at a distance of 2 feet the four corners of the monitor glowed white due to it.
So the ZR24w doesn't have that corner glow? Very good news. I was afraid all current IPS panels have it.
Thanks also for pointing out the tinting.

Can disable the LED on the power button, very handy. Buttons are touch on the front, rather than on the bottom, huge plus for me due to how my arm mounts.
A small but handy feature. :cool: Good that HP kept it.

Now I'm almost glad that my U2410s all had tinting issues, so I can finally get this monitor. :D
Well, if I could only buy it! Come on, I want it now, hurry!

I just received my ZR24W a few days ago and starting to use it.
I have never used an IPS panel so that might explain my question. I am running Vista 64 with cleartype turned on which has always been my setup for LCD's. When I am viewing text....say for example the text on this forum, I see some greens and reds around various letters.

I remember this from XP days and tuning cleartype resolved it on some LCD's. Something about RGB vs. BGR pixel order or some such and then tuning the boldness. Turning off cleartype does correct it, but then you don't get the font smoothing benefit. And the cleartype tuner doesn't work in Vista 64! Gotta love it.....Ironically my old, cheaper LCD did not do this as much. Most noticeable on smaller text and it varies with the zoom. Does the ZR24W use a different sub-pixel structure such that you need to change cleartype's setting or is it just tuning it? Anyone know of a cleartype 64 utility? The non-Msft one I used to use does not work on 64. I searched and found the cleartype registry settings and may play with those although the utility was so much easier.

Do other people with this monitor see what I am describing? Normal for this type of panel? Or a problem with my unit? Since it goes away when I turn cleartype off, I am leaning toward a tweak issue with cleartype.

FWIW it did calibrate to 6500K and 90cd/m^2/.50cd/m^2 white luminance/black point targets with a Spyder 2 Pro. The numbers say it is right on although it looks a little less "color saturated" than I am used to. However the black level and color balance looks very good. Still need to use it with some photos for a final assessment.

Thanks,

BJB

This is an interesting problem, I don't think it's related to IPS because I have one (nec 1990sxi) and displays cleartype wonderfully smooth for a great comfort of view.
So the problem might be related to your configuration or your unit.
Removing ClearType is not the solution, you are hiding the problem not solving it.
Maybe the calibration didn't perform well or another software (graphic card utility or HP DisplayAssistant) is altering you graphic card LUT.
Try temporarely disable any software that can alter the LUT, the calibrator, the hp display assistant and set the graphic card driver/utility to default in the advanced display settings / colors tab.
REgarding ClearType tuning there should be an MS web page (with activex you should give permission to install) doing this, but I don't think that's the solution, it's just allowing you to choose the amount of "smooth" effect around the font (crisper or smoother) but should not cause the weird color you mention.
Please post on this forum the result of your tests.

To adjust Cleartype there is a utility built into Windows. Just type Cleartype into your Start panel search box.

Is anyone able to tell me if the warranty on these screens from HP.com or CostCentral is international?

Can you post your calibration data?

Anyone got this monitor already in Europe? It seems all the owners here are Americans :confused:

Yeap. I'm still waiting for mine but some lower customer rated stores do have it. I read on a Swedish forum about a few who has just gotten theirs.

This is an interesting problem, I don't think it's related to IPS because I have one (nec 1990sxi) and displays cleartype wonderfully smooth for a great comfort of view.
So the problem might be related to your configuration or your unit.
Removing ClearType is not the solution, you are hiding the problem not solving it.
Maybe the calibration didn't perform well or another software (graphic card utility or HP DisplayAssistant) is altering you graphic card LUT.
Try temporarely disable any software that can alter the LUT, the calibrator, the hp display assistant and set the graphic card driver/utility to default in the advanced display settings / colors tab.
REgarding ClearType tuning there should be an MS web page (with activex you should give permission to install) doing this, but I don't think that's the solution, it's just allowing you to choose the amount of "smooth" effect around the font (crisper or smoother) but should not cause the weird color you mention.
Please post on this forum the result of your tests.

Thanks for the input that it is not IPS-specific. If someone that has a ZR24W could take a look at what I describe that would be great.

I did not install the HP Display assistant nor do I have any other utility that writes to the LUT other than the Spyder one at bootup. And every time your PC goes to sleep and wakes up that is negated unless you re-run it. However the LUT adjustment is very minor anyway since the hard monitor controls got the adjustments very close to targeted values. Anyway, the display looks the same with the LUT at default values as it does after bootup. And blowing up monitor brightness to default eye-torching levels did not change the effect.

As far as the poster asking to post the calibration data, I did not save it...however I can tell you that it almost spot on target for the luminance and black points I mentioned and very very close to 6500K. Like 6490K post-calibration.

Finally, I have looked...and although the cleartype adjustment is in Windows 7 I cannot find it in Vista 64. Also, the Microsoft website tweaker specifically says it does not work in Vista. You are correct that one of the adjustments does just relate to the boldness of the effect. However, another does in fact change the pixel color order or whatever that is that I recall. I know because in my distant past, I had to change that setting to get a good result.

BJB

After looking at the lagom pixel order test, the ZR24w appeared to be RGB (red on left, green middle, blue on right) if that helps

Should I stick with my U2410 and get 2 more? Or Should I get 2 of these , they sound very promising. However I'm not sure if mixing is the right idea.
Did I read that you went with 3 ZR24w's? I was curious how your Dell would match up with the HPs, bezel-wise, color-wise, etc.

I am pretty happy with my two 20" Samsungs and HP running at 1600x1200 for gaming so far. Here is a quick snap (actually a terrible shot) before making any color adjustments, including brightness. The horizontal alignment is better than I thought it would be given the big difference in their physical sizes.

Eyefinity with 2 20" Samsungs and HP ZR24w

If anyone knows how to align these better, using just the monitors' OSD, Windows 7, and/or Catalyst, I would sure appreciate it. One person here already told me that I would probably have to set a custom resolution that works for all three using the pixel calculator linked below - but I am hoping that I can keep the 3x1600:1200 resolution.
http://thirdculture.com/joel/shumi/computer/hardware/ppicalc.html

Last edited:
Yeap. I'm still waiting for mine but some lower customer rated stores do have it. I read on a Swedish forum about a few who has just gotten theirs.
What forum, exactly? My broken swedish might just come in handy.

As far as the poster asking to post the calibration data, I did not save it...however I can tell you that it almost spot on target for the luminance and black points I mentioned and very very close to 6500K. Like 6490K post-calibration.

Sorry, I think I asked the question wrong. What are your calibration settings? Brightness, contrast, R, G, B values, etc.?

does anyone know how to get into the service menu?
wanting some firmware, panel rev numbers please

MAIN MENU> INFORMATION will show FW Version. mine shows V.0.23G

but i havent seen a rev. info yet

If anyone knows how to align these better, using just the monitors' OSD, Windows 7, and/or Catalyst, I would sure appreciate it. One person here already told me that I would probably have to set a custom resolution that works for all three using the pixel calculator linked below - but I am hoping that I can keep the 3x1600:1200 resolution.
http://thirdculture.com/joel/shumi/computer/hardware/ppicalc.html
Besides matching the pixel pitch on all monitors, I know of two other ways to align the screens somewhat better, but these methods have serious drawbacks:

Use the VGA output of your Samsung monitors and stretch the 1600x1200 resolution both horizontally and vertically until the screens are aligned with your HP ZR24w.

-Drawback: VGA output isn't crystal clear, possibly slightly blurry.
-Drawback: Part of the visible image will be 'behind' the bezel or even beyond that.

Use the DVI output of your Samsung monitors and overscan the 1600x1200 resolution on both monitors until the screens are aligned with your HP ZR24w.

-Drawback: Only possible if your Samsung monitors support overscan.
-Drawback: Same story as with VGA, part of the visible screen will be 'behind' the bezel or even beyond that.

Other than that, I can't think of any other way to align the screens better. With two different types of monitors (20.1 inch & 24 inch) and still having to run the same resolution on all three of them (Eyefinity requirement), that's just the way it is.

Thanks for that Xeltic. I knew it was you who told me about the pixel calculator before, but I could not remember how to spell your name and I was too lazy to go looking for the post. I did bookmark the calculator though. :)

I appreciate the options - I don't see overscan on the Samsung, but I will look more deeply later. Interesting idea to stretch the VGA to align with the HP. The side screens are just part of peripheral vision anyway, so this may work. Of course, if I lose what is behind the bezel, it may not be worth it. Worth trying though. I wonder how Eyefinity programmers are doing with their taking into account "the bezel" part of their programming of Eyefinity. I read they were looking to improve it, but I don't remember much else about it.

Back