HP ZR24w

I've been trying the DVI output of my 9800GT and my GTX 260 on 2 different machines on a DVI to Displayport cable that I got from monoprice. No matter what Machine I use, the monitor never detects any signal.. is there any way around this? I have 2 machines And I Need to have a connection established to both without using a DVI switcher..

AFAIK, DVI to Displayport requires an active signal converter, not just some kind of pin re-arranging adapter. If you paid <$20 for your cable it likely does not do signal conversion.

AFAIK, DVI to Displayport requires an active signal converter, not just some kind of pin re-arranging adapter. If you paid <$20 for your cable it likely does not do signal conversion.

Yeah I learnt that the hard way :/

However all the active ones seem to convert displayport out to DVI. If thats the case, then whats the point of passive ones? My point is, would the active one convert it any way it goes. Wether the signal output is DVI or the signal ouput is Displayport?

thx

Hi

I just got my HP ZR24w today :D. It's pretty sweet with no dead pixels as far as I can tell.

I do have one problem though... My graphics cards only supports Mini DisplayPort (It's an ATI HD5970), so I have to use the DisplayPort to Mini DisplayPort adaptor that came with the graphics card for me to use this screen with DisplayPort.

My Catalyst picks up the monitor fine, it says that a monitor is connected via DisplayPort. However the screen is just blank... it says that there is no signal from the DisplayPort source.

Now DVI works fine and I'm sure it's not the screen's problem either. Can someone who uses Mini DisplayPort on the ZR24w possibly provide some help? Thanks.

This just isn't fair. I've been through three replacements, and the minimum number of dead pixels so far has been eight. This current panel has 20 dead pixels total. Not only that, but it has embarrassing back light bleed, and color shift. What the heck do I do?

Of course they work, you just get oversaturated and wrong colors BECAUSE THE PROGRAM IS EXPECTING SRGB COLOR SPACE BUT YOUR MONITOR IS WORKING ON ARGB OR WIDER. Those bright colors are good and part of what human eye can see, but problem is that they are shown when they are not supposed to be.

As I explained, non-color managed software doesnt know you have wider gamut monitor and your monitor doesnt know that it is receiving sRGB information. If the program wants to show color from the limits of sRGB color space but instead you get a color from the limits of aRGB colorspace which isnt what it wants UNLESS YOUR MONITOR HAS WORKING SRGB EMULATION MODE. This feature is in some wide gamut monitors for a reason! Get your facts straight before spouting nonsense.

Oh, and TNs are capable of aRGB. Samsung 226CW being one. Of course it uses dithering to increase 6 to 8 bits but this has nothing to do with gamut. Im not sure if shows right as digitalversus removed gamut tests from their dropdown boxes, but lets see.
http://www.digitalversus.com/duels.php?ty=6&ma1=36&mo1=265&p1=2507&ma2=36&mo2=265&p2=2507&ph=7

Here is a good example. If you have Vista you should have a wallpaper about mountain which top is lit by sunrise (or sunset, not sure). Put it in your background and also open it with color managed program like Vista image viewer or photoshop. In color managed program the tip is nice brownish red like it should be, but on your desktop, that is not color managed, it looks like molten lava.

Actually on my PC (using a narrow-gamut monitor) it was the opposite, the desktop image was as expected while the PS image was like molten lava.

However, I think this should actually be a non-issue, at least in Windows 7...

Right-click your desktop, select Screen resolution - Advanced Settings - Color Management - Color Management - Advanced - Device Profile - Set to ProPhoto RGB - Close.

Open Photoshop, go to View -Proof Setup - Custom - Device to Simulate, and set to ProPhoto RGB.

If you have Windows 7 you should have that same mountain top image. Make it your background and open it in PS. Voila, they are the same and correct (or, if I am entirely wrong, they are now the same and wrong on a wide-gamut monitor).

If someone could let me know if this works it would be appreciated. :)

I use mini-DP on mine. But no issues here. Maybe your 5970 needs a bios update?

My BIOS version is 012.013.000.002.034996. As far as I can tell it is the latest BIOS for my card which is XFX btw.

This just isn't fair. I've been through three replacements, and the minimum number of dead pixels so far has been eight. This current panel has 20 dead pixels total. Not only that, but it has embarrassing back light bleed, and color shift. What the heck do I do?

With luck like that, I think I'd be afraid to leave the house ;)

anyone know where you can buy this from in Australia?

If you buy from HP direct they are charging 700$ AU :/

Actually on my PC (using a narrow-gamut monitor) it was the opposite, the desktop image was as expected while the PS image was like molten lava.

However, I think this should actually be a non-issue, at least in Windows 7...

Right-click your desktop, select Screen resolution - Advanced Settings - Color Management - Color Management - Advanced - Device Profile - Set to ProPhoto RGB - Close.

Open Photoshop, go to View -Proof Setup - Custom - Device to Simulate, and set to ProPhoto RGB.

If you have Windows 7 you should have that same mountain top image. Make it your background and open it in PS. Voila, they are the same and correct (or, if I am entirely wrong, they are now the same and wrong on a wide-gamut monitor).

If someone could let me know if this works it would be appreciated. :)

first in the right click desktop etc. etc. part you would never select prophotorgb there, you need to select the profile you made of your monitor there

and second, no W7 does not color manage the desktop, at all

non-games, non-blu-ray will use the LUT gamma/WB ramp part since that gets loaded into the gfx card and the desktop will use that part too just as it has since at least XP, but won't transform from source to monitor gamut

a prophotorgb image as a wallpaper on an sRGB monitor will look dull and faded out and nasty even on W7 just as an sRGB format one will look horrible on a widegamut. You need to make sure the wallpaper is in sRGB format for sRGB monitors and something close to adobeRGB or maybe better a straight convert to monitor gamut for wide gamut monitors (or run them in sRGB mode for non-photoshop stuff)

first in the right click desktop etc. etc. part you would never select prophotorgb there, you need to select the profile you made of your monitor there

and second, no W7 does not color manage the desktop, at all

non-games, non-blu-ray will use the LUT gamma/WB ramp part since that gets loaded into the gfx card and the desktop will use that part too just as it has since at least XP, but won't transform from source to monitor gamut

a prophotorgb image as a wallpaper on an sRGB monitor will look dull and faded out and nasty even on W7 just as an sRGB format one will look horrible on a widegamut. You need to make sure the wallpaper is in sRGB format for sRGB monitors and something close to adobeRGB or maybe better a straight convert to monitor gamut for wide gamut monitors (or run them in sRGB mode for non-photoshop stuff)
And that's the unfortunate truth.Hopefully that will change soon.

This thread was instrumental in my decision to purchase a ZR24w.

I registered here to state that mine also came with a few dead pixels clustered around the center. It seems to be a common occurrence, which is too bad.

I bought one of these as well. I had one dead pixel, lower right corner. I called Business Support, and the next day there was a service rep at my house with a new panel. Awesome service, new panel is perfect.

Has anyone who has used this monitor have any experience with the Dell U2311H at all? I've read tons of reviews and comparions, but I'd love to hear someone's opinion after using both.

Has the scaler issue been fixed yet? Anyone here now have a ZR24w with a scaler that actually works?

Mine works. Just for weird resolutions though. Not 720P or 1080P.

Thanks for your reply. 720p and 1080p are the two resolutions I need the most when watching DVD's or Blu-ray discs via a dedicated player.

Do you know if HP is willing to exchange your ZR24w for the same model when they finally fix the scaling issue?

Have you heard any info on when the scaling issue will be fixed?

Had mine for a month. No dead pixels. Images are superb. Crysis all up looks fantastic on my i5 750 HD5850 rig. I use the VGA, DVI, and Display Port to connect to three different systems and my only criticism is that is very slow to switch between these sources. To dbase88 it has been available in NZ for between NZ$450 and NZ$550 + GST according to Pricespy, have you tried Melbourne based Computerworld?

Last edited:
I'm planning on upgrading my 4 year old 19'' ViewSonic CRT next month and i have some questions.

How is this monitor for RPG/FPS gaming?

Does it connect and work with an Xbox 360 if needed? (i think i saw that it worked with ps3 in this thread)

I'm looking at the U2711 which would be perfect, but $900 (same price as my 42in LG) seems crazy...

in a way they are because of the exchange rate
i believe we could have picked up them for around 570 when our dollar was stronger

but still, RRP in Aus is 699$, I even found one store in NZ selling it for 1700 NZD.

So my faithful 21" SGi branded Sony CRT is finally dying and I am going to need to replace it. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem that finding an untarnished Sony GDM-FW900 is going to be possible so I have started looking into LCDs that can come close to the same image quality. It is a sad state of affairs that here we are several years after CRTs were considered "dead" yet there is very little than can compete with them for less than several thousand dollars (if even then)...

After searching around a bit, I have tentatively landed on the HP ZR24w. It seems all the IPS products in this range have some problem or another, but in a general sense the HP has the fewest? (no pink gradients, etc) What I am wondering is: is it best to order one directly from HP even if it costs slightly more than ordering it from somewhere else? If I get a panel that has problems severe enough to warrant a replacement will I get more prompt service if I ordered it from them directly? :confused:

I'm thinking of getting this monitor too...but I'm really frustrated with the fact every monitor that looks to be a clear winner has some glaring flaw. So maybe I'll just live with it. How would this monitor compare with my w2408h? I googled that and you can't even find one for under 500, I guess they aren't making them anymore, but I'm very happy with mine and the color is gorgeous etc. but the black levels aren't what I want.

I'd hate to get a new monitor and have the same black level problems as my TN! The ZR24W also is the same resolution as my w2408, do you think I could run these side by side or would the differences be too dramatic? I wish there was a direct comparison somewhere of these 2 monitors, anyone have experience with the 2? Lastly, is the current pricing promotional? I'm unclear, I can't imagine all of a sudden they hike the price up? HP said they didn't know how long the 'promotion' would last?

To the poster above, I'll probably buy from costcentral if I take the plunge.
Thanks,

Oldschool -- I'm also getting ready to upgrade from Sony Trinitrons G520 models (1 Sony branded and 2 Dell branded). From my understanding the HP warranty is good no matter where you purchased the item. I am leaning towards using Bing cashback and ordering from ebay ($400 - 8% = 362). But I will be verifying with the seller that the monitors do in fact have the 3yr warranty.

Got my HP ZR24W, Thankfully no dead pixels or back lighting problems, but I'm having major problems with gaming & watching movies, as any kind of motion is very blurry compared to my BenQ FP19G+ 19" LCD which recently died. :( I tried

overdrive, which improved the blurring slightly, but made everything else like image quality & qhosting worse. The games where blurring is most noticeable is when I played PES 6 & Pes 2010. I never had this problem on my Benq. Also for

some reason during the two days Ive been using this monitor, my eyes have been hurting and are really strained. I've turned down the brightness to 0, but my eyes are still hurting. Maybe I'm just sensitive to the lower refresh rate of

60hz. My other monitors refresh rate was 75hz.

Watching movies is just as bad, the image quality and viewing angles are great, better than my Benq, but it's when there's any kind of motion, it's really blurry.
Anyway, has anyone else had similar problems while playing Pes & watching movies or is my monitor faulty somehow?

I'm definitely thinking about returning it for a refund, as I'm definitely not happy with it. I wish my Benq was still working.

Got my HP ZR24W, Thankfully no dead pixels or back lighting problems, but I'm having major problems with gaming & watching movies, as any kind of motion is very blurry compared to my BenQ FP19G+ 19" LCD which recently died. :( I tried

overdrive, which improved the blurring slightly, but made everything else like image quality & qhosting worse. The games where blurring is most noticeable is when I played PES 6 & Pes 2010. I never had this problem on my Benq. Also for

some reason during the two days Ive been using this monitor, my eyes have been hurting and are really strained. I've turned down the brightness to 0, but my eyes are still hurting. Maybe I'm just sensitive to the lower refresh rate of

60hz. My other monitors refresh rate was 75hz.

Watching movies is just as bad, the image quality and viewing angles are great, better than my Benq, but it's when there's any kind of motion, it's really blurry.
Anyway, has anyone else had similar problems while playing Pes & watching movies or is my monitor faulty somehow?

I'm definitely thinking about returning it for a refund, as I'm definitely not happy with it. I wish my Benq was still working.

I don't have the monitor yet (I get it today). However, the response time and input lag on this monitor is pretty darn low. It shouldn't be as bad as you are describing.

I played UT2004 & Pariah and they weren't too bad. You could still see some blur when the characters were moving about, but they're still playable. It's just games that have horizontal scrolling where the obvious motion blur really stands out and is extremely noticeable and basically it looks awful. I just tried Fifa 10 and when the players and screen is moving back and fourth, it's just a blur and makes the game unplayable. I've decided to RMA it and I just hope they take it back. The response rate is a lot worse than my Benq FP91G+ which funnily enough has a higher rate of 8ms and it's still far superior when it comes to handling motion.

If I did an A/B between my FW900 and any non-120HZ LCD, yes, I will notice blur in super hardcore fast moving action. But for 98% of my gaming, the blur inherent to non TN LCD's is no big deal.

I played UT2004 & Pariah and they weren't too bad. You could still see some blur when the characters were moving about, but they're still playable. It's just games that have horizontal scrolling where the obvious motion blur really stands out and is extremely noticeable and basically it looks awful. I just tried Fifa 10 and when the players and screen is moving back and fourth, it's just a blur and makes the game unplayable. I've decided to RMA it and I just hope they take it back. The response rate is a lot worse than my Benq FP91G+ which funnily enough has a higher rate of 8ms and it's still far superior when it comes to handling motion.

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/hp_zr24w.htm

The reviews show the panel to be one of the best when it comes to stuff like you mention. As that review shows, make sure you have overdrive set to off. It actually makes things more blurry. Other then that, I don't know what to tell you.

This is not correct. The ZR24W has a well tuned RTA function. Turning it on greatly reduces response time and produces little artifacting. A mild light halo can sometimes be seen around the edges of highly contrasting objects or very light edges (such as clouds on a light blue sky). It is generally not disruptive or readily noticed.

This is not correct. The ZR24W has a well tuned RTA function. Turning it on greatly reduces response time and produces little artifacting. A mild light halo can sometimes be seen around the edges of highly contrasting objects or very light edges (such as clouds on a light blue sky). It is generally not disruptive or readily noticed.

Once again, I think you'll find the expert opinion disagrees with you. I suggest reading the review I linked to.

I would concur. Subjectively, I detected very slight improvement in response time with overdrive on. I didn't notice a halo. But I wasn't looking for it either.

Concerning various posts on this page:

My wife and I each have a ZR24w. One was bought directly from HP, the other from B&H Photo in New York City at a much lower price. Both B&H and HP allow unconditional return, which is why they were chosen. In both cases, a 19" Dell branded Sony Trinitron at 75 Hz was replaced. Neither ZR24w had any problem pixels. We've had these for nearly 2 months, with not the slightest problem. No color cast, etc.

Both are running at low brightness and high contrast settings, and neither show any motion artifacts or visible blurring. Overdrive is off on both. Black level is fine for our (non-calibrated) use. There is no magic to the settings, and both work fine with significant setting variations (as long as you are not calibrating). Settings are more a matter of taste than necessity.

All previous posts indicate that HP will generally replace a bad unit at your site after 30 days, with a used unit - which may or may not have dead pixels. Before 30 days, you will have to deal with the vendor for replacement and will likely have to do an RMA.

At current price and performance, this is a hell of a bargain. Minimize risk by choosing a vendor who will unconditionally accept returns - read their terms and conditions to avoid surprises.

I would concur. Subjectively, I detected very slight improvement in response time with overdrive on. I didn't notice a halo. But I wasn't looking for it either.

In areas of high contrast I see very strong ghosting on my screen. In World of Warcraft in Tanaris it's really bad. When you spin around and look at the mountains on the horizon on the leading edge you'll see white ghosting and on the trailing edge you'll see dark.

My PVA and TN panels never did this. I like the monitor well enough, so I'll just live with it.

Well, I have decided to take the plunge and buy a ZR24w. You can read reviews and pore over specs endlessly, but ultimately you just have to see for yourself! I know that it isn't going to be an equivalent replacement for my CRT, but it is implausible to buy a new WS CRT nowadays... :(

I am probably going to be ordering from buy.com through Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Smart-Buy-ZR24W-LCD-Monitor/dp/B003D1ADUU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&m=AKJJGJ0JKT8F1&s=electronics&qid=1278603824&sr=1-1

They list it for $399.99 w/ free shipping. Return policy seems ok, unless someone has a better suggestion?

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
If B&H carried the ZR24w when I ordered mine it would have been through them. I've purchased quite a bit of camera gear from them and they are very reliable.

What cables/adapter do i need to hook my PS3 to this ZR24w monitor?
HDMI to....?

Please show me all the options that i have to make this work & possible online store to purchase these items.

Audio is not important but it would be a plus.

ZR24w:

15-pin HD-15 VGA In

DVI-D Digital Video In

20-pin DisplayPort Video In

i use an hdmi/dvi for my ps3 connection. audio is run off an optical connection.

monoprice is going to have your best price on the cables.

Back