HP Z30i

Thanks for the info! Can you elaborate on why it isn't possible to limit to sRGB, given that the R, G, and B levels can (as I understand it) be controlled individually? Given that and the fact that the monitor is advertised as covering 100% of the sRGB space, shouldn't it be possible to calibrate to it?

Edit: Ah, I think I get it. You can calibrate to sRGB, you just can't automatically switch to an 'sRGB mode' using the Display Assistant?

Last edited:
Thanks for the info! Can you elaborate on why it isn't possible to limit to sRGB, given that the R, G, and B levels can (as I understand it) be controlled individually?

It lacks 6 axis and gamut controls; the color space can only be limited in color managed programs. The HP Display Assistant is similar to the Windows calibration tool, Toms Hardware has a Display Assistant Tour in their E27i review. AMD gpu's have a "Use Extended Display Identification Data (EDID)" option in the Color Temperature Control menu which allegedly does a good job of limiting the gamut to sRGB.

Last edited:
Eschertias, I was wondering if we could trouble you for a usage impressions update? Nothing in-depth or time consuming, maybe just a thumbs up or down after a couple more weeks of use? Actually, I do have a specific question - are you approximating an sRGB colorspace, and if so, how's it working for ya'? Thanks for your time!

NCX, also really looking forward to a formal review!

I am extremely pleased with my purchase. After two weeks of staring at it 10-14 hours a day for work, I have yet to find anything I really dislike about it. I never do color sensitive work, so it's not a big deal that the colors are a bit saturated.

I don't have it in sRGB mode, and I don't have a powerful enough color puck to create a 3D LUT to use in photoshop to get the equivalent.

That said, I bought this for watching movies and playing games on, in addition to untold hours of reading forums and ebooks, and so far it's worked like a champ.

I am extremely pleased with my purchase. After two weeks of staring at it 10-14 hours a day for work, I have yet to find anything I really dislike about it. I never do color sensitive work, so it's not a big deal that the colors are a bit saturated.

I don't have it in sRGB mode, and I don't have a powerful enough color puck to create a 3D LUT to use in photoshop to get the equivalent.

That said, I bought this for watching movies and playing games on, in addition to untold hours of reading forums and ebooks, and so far it's worked like a champ.

Man, that sounds awesome. I have essentially the same usage model in mind - work that isn't color-critical, games, media, etc. I just don't have any experience with wide-gamut monitors, so I don't know how much the over-saturation might bother me, if at all. You really know how to sell a brother, though. ;) Thanks for the reply!

Artists spends tons of times to make their games and movies look a certain way, not sure why media is not considered "color critical," material. If you really like over-saturated reds and greens and don't mind viewing everything through a green (the most dominant wide gamut color) filter or are using some horrible ancient TN then wide gamut colors should be fine. Skin tones often look sunburned and have greenish hues while whites, light blues and browns appear quite greenish. Don't forget about the glow which is far more pronounced on a 30" vs. a 27" 1440p monitor. Prepare to lose around 10% of the right/left bottom portion of the display in dark scenes to IPS glow depending on the angle the monitor is viewed from, especially if the brightness is kept cranked.

Last edited:
Artists spends tons of times to make their games and movies look a certain way, not sure why media is not considered "color critical," material. If you really like over-saturated reds and greens and don't mind viewing everything through a green (the most dominant wide gamut color) filter or are using some horrible ancient TN then wide gamut colors should be fine. Skin tones often look sunburned and have greenish hues while whites, light blues and browns appear quite greenish. Don't forget about the glow which is far more pronounced on a 30" vs. a 27" 1440p monitor. Prepare to lose around 10% of the right/left bottom portion of the display in dark scenes to IPS glow depending on the angle the monitor is viewed from, especially if the brightness is kept cranked.

Having done a fair amount of reading around these here and other parts, I'm aware that you seem to not be a big proponent of 30" monitors in general, and loath searing sRGB colors with extended gamut in particular. Please forgive me if that's an inaccurate assessment. ;) Funny you posted the above, because I was just about to ask if you could elaborate on the potential for the z30i to be calibrated for sRGB in one way or another. I also really don't like the idea of inaccurate color; it's the biggest thing holding me back from this monitor. Barring console use, which I'll probably never have, is there *any* way to get the z30i to reasonably represent sRGB for daily use?

Thanks very much for you time, as always. It seems your strong opinions stir up quite a bit of controversy, but bias or no, the fact is that you put a lot of effort into offering free, valuable information, and that is definitely appreciated. :)

, is there *any* way to get the z30i to reasonably represent sRGB for daily use?

Use color managed programs and/or an AMD GPU, though the quality of AMD's solution has yet to be validated. All of the 30" monitors are a joke performance+value wise vs. the 27" 1440p monitors since they typically cost at least 30% more and are far more flawed (CCFL 30"=grainy matte coating, GB-LED=obvious overshoot ghosting) which is why I am typically against them.

Last edited:
The one advantage of a 30inch (over 27 inch) is 16:10 vs 16:9. My understanding is that after 24inch there is not many options for 16:10 till you hit 30.

Use color managed programs and/or an AMD GPU, though the quality of AMD's solution has yet to be validated. All of the 30" monitors are a joke performance+value wise vs. the 27" 1440p monitors since they typically cost at least 30% more and are far more flawed (CCFL 30"=grainy matte coating, GB-LED=obvious overshoot ghosting) which is why I am typically against them.

What about the 31.5" Asus that uses IGZO? Does that have the IPS glow that eats up the bottom corners?

Nearly everything these days is color managed anyhow, except games, so you they aren't exactly missing a whole lot.

I feel you on the value angle, but as I said before, I *really* love 16:10, and vastly prefer the pixel size. And the matte coating on the Z30i isn't too heavy, no? Input lag probably acceptable for me, so the real questions (outside sheer price) are about motion and color accuracy. I'm hoping that the Z30i's overshoot problems aren't as severe as the U3014's seem to be. Then there's color.

Did a little digging on the AMD solution - some of the info I found is above my paygrade when it comes to monitor tech, but people seem to have success globally adjusting wide gamut to sRGB with the Catalyst controls:

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1319089&page=3
http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.graphics.argyllcms/11448

So maybe NCX or one of the hardware gurus could tell me this: does the Z30i support EDID? That seems to be what the AMD drivers need to adjust the gamut through the card.

Apologies if that's a noobish question. :\

Nearly everything these days is color managed anyhow, except games, so you they aren't exactly missing a whole lot.

Steps need to be taken to enable color management and it can be problematic.

So maybe NCX or one of the hardware gurus could tell me this: does the Z30i support EDID?

I neither own nor have access to an AMD gpu otherwise I would test it. The HP uses LG's new semi-glossy coating (same coating as the 3014 & U2713H I reviewed) and mine is free from cross-hatching.

Anyone knows if HP will have 27" version of this panel ?

edit: never mind i found it in article linked in first post.

Last edited:
HP Z30i does NOT support 10-bit colors, has only single DisplayPort, DVI and HDMI input --> returned.
Ordered Viewsonic 27ich IPS with 10bit colors support, 2x DP in, 1x DP out (DaisyChain support).

HP Z30i does NOT support 10-bit colors, has only single DisplayPort, DVI and HDMI input --> returned.
Ordered Viewsonic 27ich IPS with 10bit colors support, 2x DP in, 1x DP out (DaisyChain support).
You'll be very pleased with your decision. ;)

Which one, if I may ask? Is it the VP2770? Would you be interested in posting a brief comparison when it arrives? And why is 10bit color a deal-breaker? I thought that kind of color range was mostly for achieving high screen-to-print accuracy for media work, when the gfx card and software all support it? Thanks!

You'll be very pleased with your decision. ;)
Also not a fan of the Z30i? May I ask why not? For the same reasons as NCX (no sRGB emulation and IPS glow are the biggest objections, I think), or are there other problems? Just looking for a wide range of opinions.

Since I'm looking to drop serious dollar on a monitor, I'm just trying to obtain the most balanced perspective I can. The lack of input variety is no problem for me, since I'd only use it with my computer. Is 10 bit color a big deal other than for professional applications? If that's all, then it's just back to the sRGB and IPS glow objections again.

Any input is appreciated, thanks!

Can anybody who knows and has used a 305T extensively tell me how this Z30i compares to it?

As far as:
Ghosting
Black levels
Input Lag (305T has no controls other than brightness)
Colors

Thanks! I've got a working 305T and have been mostly happy with it (ghosting can get to me during games, and the black levels kinda suck). But the wife needs a 30 for her computer and I'm not giving up my 2560x1600. I have my 305T at home and work all day on a 3011 - not moving down to a 27". No way. This or the zr30w seem to be my only real options since the 3014 has issues and the NEC is outside of my budget.
Thanks.

Can anybody who knows and has used a 305T extensively tell me how this Z30i compares to it?

As far as:
Ghosting
Black levels
Input Lag (305T has no controls other than brightness)
Colors

Thanks! I've got a working 305T and have been mostly happy with it (ghosting can get to me during games, and the black levels kinda suck). But the wife needs a 30 for her computer and I'm not giving up my 2560x1600. I have my 305T at home and work all day on a 3011 - not moving down to a 27". No way. This or the zr30w seem to be my only real options since the 3014 has issues and the NEC is outside of my budget.
Thanks.

Can't say about the comparison, but NCX has a partial review of the Z30i up elsewhere. Unless I read it incorrectly, he seems very impressed with motion performance (i.e. minimal ghosting). Lag is acceptable/average for an IPS, but blacks suffer from IPS glow. However, if you're already accustomed to an IPS panel, I'd imagine that's not an issue. Apologies if I mischaracterized anything - I'd post the link, but he hadn't done so himself, so I didn't want to step on any toes.

My situation is similar to yours in that I really want the 30" form factor. If sRGB could be done well on the Z30i, it'd be an easy choice... excepting my wallet, of course. ;p

My Samsung 305T is a PVA panel, and I've been pretty happy with it.

I just wish I knew the differences between the two. Maybe I just buy the Z30i and if if works, keep it. If not... send 'er back.

The Z30i's glow and black levels will likely horrify you coming from the 305T, though the Z30i will exhibit far less ghosting. Not much point comparing the colors since neither have sRGB modes (the ZR30W doesn't either) and you have sli 670's.

My Samsung 305T is a PVA panel, and I've been pretty happy with it.

I just wish I knew the differences between the two. Maybe I just buy the Z30i and if if works, keep it. If not... send 'er back.

Ah... well, the VP2770 is a PLS panel, I believe, although I see it referred to elsewhere as an IPS, which I don't understand. I would google NCX's review. Though not yet complete, it might provide some of the info you're looking for.

The Z30i's glow and black levels will likely horrify you coming from the 305T, though the Z30i will exhibit far less ghosting. Not much point comparing the colors since neither have sRGB modes (the ZR30W doesn't either) and you have sli 670's.

Not real worried about color accuracy - perfectly fine with the 305T's colors. I guess the black levels have me worried. So you're saying you've seen and used both and the LED glow is that much worse than my old school 305T? Yikes.

Well, I think I'ma order this badboy. $1189 is the cheapest I can find it. Anybody got a cheaper line on it?
Don't think this place will be doing any BF stuff, so I might as well go for it. Sucks it's not an Amazon Prime item.

Thanks - shoulda said no eBay. Gotta have a good return policy on something like this.

Yeah, and I think it was bait-and-switch. Reading further down the ad it was described as ZR30w--thought this was too good to be true! Sorry.

Looks like the Provantage price ($1189) is the best; next best I found was Directron @ $1217. No free shipping from either source. Nerds has it for $1250 with $4.99 shipping.

Which one, if I may ask? Is it the VP2770? Would you be interested in posting a brief comparison when it arrives? And why is 10bit color a deal-breaker? I thought that kind of color range was mostly for achieving high screen-to-print accuracy for media work, when the gfx card and software all support it? Thanks!

Also not a fan of the Z30i? May I ask why not? For the same reasons as NCX (no sRGB emulation and IPS glow are the biggest objections, I think), or are there other problems? Just looking for a wide range of opinions.

Since I'm looking to drop serious dollar on a monitor, I'm just trying to obtain the most balanced perspective I can. The lack of input variety is no problem for me, since I'd only use it with my computer. Is 10 bit color a big deal other than for professional applications? If that's all, then it's just back to the sRGB and IPS glow objections again.

Any input is appreciated, thanks!
No, it's VP2772 I ordered, not 2770. My main concerns with HP Z30i was no 10-bit/color channel (30 bit colors respectively) support and single DP input. I didn't mind glow (but it is VERY visible, it's simply always there with IPS panels that large without ATW polarizer, A-TW vs NO A-TW) and I pretty much liked the build quality and antireflective/semi-reflective coating. The HP I got had no problems at all. That's nice, I have been reading the forums about it's Dell brother, which is plaqued by many (rev.A0-A3).
30-bit colors are crutial for me, 'cos I am a photographer and this is my post-processing rig. I don't want any fine-gradients banding for that kind of money. I already have 30inch NEC PA301W (CCFL), but that beast is quite power hungry, so I wanted a second monitor (perhaps more affordable, could be 27inch too, I'll see) wide gamut LED monitor for casual/less critical work, so I can lower hours on my big NEC and save on electricity bills too (yeah, I don't believe that one either :D, I just wanted to have new RGB LED monitor :D)
sRGB emulation would be nice, but is not crutial for me by the second monitor, that has the NEC I've got, if I needed preview in sRGB color space. For casual browsing color aware browsers do the trick for me and I don't play games anymore, no time for that.
It is a shame that Intel's HD gfx is STILL NOT 30bit colors capable and one needs Quadro or FireGL cards. I have the cheepest Quadro for that reason.
30 bit color support comparisson pictures: supported vs unsupported

Last edited:
Well, FedEx is still saying Wednesday... Hope it's a good monitor!

It's an excellent one, suppose you don't need more than one DisplayPort input and 10-bit workflow (for colors).

No, it's VP2772 I ordered, not 2770. My main concerns with HP Z30i was no 10-bit/color channel (30 bit colors respectively) support and single DP input. I didn't mind glow (but it is VERY visible, it's simply always there with IPS panels that large without ATW polarizer, A-TW vs NO A-TW) and I pretty much liked the build quality and antireflective/semi-reflective coating. The HP I got had no problems at all. That's nice, I have been reading the forums about it's Dell brother, which is plaqued by many (rev.A0-A3).
30-bit colors are crutial for me, 'cos I am a photographer and this is my post-processing rig. I don't want any fine-gradients banding for that kind of money. I already have 30inch NEC PA301W (CCFL), but that beast is quite power hungry, so I wanted a second monitor (perhaps more affordable, could be 27inch too, I'll see) wide gamut LED monitor for casual/less critical work, so I can lower hours on my big NEC and save on electricity bills too (yeah, I don't believe that one either :D, I just wanted to have new RGB LED monitor :D)
sRGB emulation would be nice, but is not crutial for me by the second monitor, that has the NEC I've got, if I needed preview in sRGB color space. For casual browsing color aware browsers do the trick for me and I don't play games anymore, no time for that.
It is a shame that Intel's HD gfx is STILL NOT 30bit colors capable and one needs Quadro or FireGL cards. I have the cheepest Quadro for that reason.
30 bit color support comparisson pictures: supported vs unsupported

Thanks for the explanation! Everybody's got their particular set of needs, I suppose, which is why it seems there can't be one monitor to rule them all, I suppose. Forgive my ignorance, but is banding really that much of an issue without 10 bit color? I've been using a bargain-basement off-brand TN panel forever, and I've never noticed any gradient banding - this is because of dithering and other post-processing techniques, yes? So what's the advantage of full 10 bit color?

What I'd really love to see is somebody with an AMD graphics card try to implement the card-based sRGB colorspace solution with this monitor. If that worked well, it would really just be a question of how tolerant I am of the IPS glow.

of course not, banding and standard 24bit colors instead of 30-bit colors are only than an issue, when you aim for no compromise display solution. In normal use, it is almost never an issue. think of it, as for example the thing with display calibration... only graphics pros do that... nobody else cares/buys display calibration solution. Same thing here.

of course not, banding and standard 24bit colors instead of 30-bit colors are only than an issue, when you aim for no compromise display solution. In normal use, it is almost never an issue. think of it, as for example the thing with display calibration... only graphics pros do that... nobody else cares/buys display calibration solution. Same thing here.

I'm not a 'graphics pro', but with any serious hobby, you want to do it right- for that reason I have a colorimeter. They're not expensive, all things considered- about as much as my cheapest lens :).

Well, FedEx delivered early. This is a pretty mixed bag.
*This monitor is FAST. Very fast. The overdrive rocks. My eyes love the response time.
*The colors look vey good. Very nice picture.
*The IPS glow is freaking horseshit. It's bad. I've got the thing on the lowest brightness setiing (which is about where my other PVA panel was and the IPS glow in the corners is intense. I'm not sure I can take the glow. But now that I've tasted the pixel response, I'm not sure....

Will continue to test.

*It looks very good next to another inaccurate wide gamut monitor.

Get the Eizo EV2736W and enjoy a glow and gamma shift free experience, fast response times and proper colors...

So NCX, what kind of panels are coming out in 4K? Are they all AH-IPS? Are there any that would be super-fast pixel response like this monitor, but without the glow?

*It looks very good next to another inaccurate wide gamut monitor.

Get the Eizo EV2736W and enjoy a glow and gamma shift free experience, fast response times and proper colors...

Hey NCX, I thought the VP2770 was one of your top pics at 27"? I watched your video review on it, and it does look really nice - I just wish it was 2560x1600 and 30". :p Would you recommend that Eizo over the 2770?

Back