HP WHS w/ 8TB and SSD

vischo

Gawd
Any input on the following. I would like to stuff an SSD (as OS drive) into the HP WHS, then fill with 2TB drives for a solid 8TB of storage. The biggest concern is will the SSD fit somewhere inside the HP case, can anyone chime in?

HP MediaSmart EX485 WHS
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16859105420

Kingston SSDNow V-Series 2.5" 128GB SATA II MLC SSD
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820139007

(4) WD Caviar Green 2TB 32MB SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" HDD
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136344

The SSD will fit but you wont have ports to feed it.

There are no ports available internally?!?! Nuts.

there is no need for them, the thing is so tiny that they never expected anyone to think of putting a drive in there.

Can't you use the eSATA port for the SSD or move one of the 2TB HDD's to a eSATA enclosure?

The idea behind the build was cramming as much storage, stability, speed as I could into one small, power efficient box. Might be a way to rig the SSD connect back out and around to the ports on the back........

The idea behind the build was cramming as much storage, stability, speed as I could into one small, power efficient box. Might be a way to rig the SSD connect back out and around to the ports on the back........

If you're that eager to mod, do a mini-ITX DIY build. It'll be much more fun...

I don't think it's worth all that effort. You will need to drill holes, stuff an ssd in there, run power to it, etc.

The Chenbro mITX case is right up your alley...

Yea that was my first reaction but I dont know of a ITX board that has more than 4 SATA :eek:
I guess you could get a expansion card but that limits your space for extra drives

The Chenbro mITX case is right up your alley...

Those Chenbro cases are nice but cost way too much money. For not a whole lot more money you could get a Norco 4020. I know they're not in the same league but the Norco offers a lot more for close to the same amount of money.

Yea that was my first reaction but I dont know of a ITX board that has more than 4 SATA :eek:
I guess you could get a expansion card but that limits your space for extra drives

You can use an expander.

That's not mITX though. A very similar version is present in the 8 bay VIA NAS barebone that we were discussing a while ago.

WHS is installed and up and running. So far so good. It took a little elbow grease to get all the mobo drivers installed. The graphics driver for the Intel 945GC chipset was a pain, so much so that I don't remember exactly what worked. Same with the driver for the Marvell 88SE6145 chipset for the daughtercard. I ended up using a driver from Intel that was intended for the Bad Axe mobo - worked fine.

Back