HP Unveils Small Laptop for Schoolkids

HardOCP News

[H] News
It seems everyone wants to get in on the whole “laptop for kids” market these days. I’m not sure how well HP’s new mini-laptop will sell though, it starts at $500 for the VIA powered base model and goes up from there.

HP's foray comes in the form of a new computer called a "Mini-Note" that weighs less than 3 pounds with a screen that measures 8.9 inches diagonally. The machines start at under $500 for a Linux-based model. Prices go up for Windows Vista models with faster processors.

Isn't that the cost of a normal laptop from Dell, Gateway and others? $500 for an underpowered laptop doesn't seem like a good deal....:confused:

Do we have to go over this every time there is mention of the eee, OLPC, or Classmate PC?

Ultraportables used to be insanely expensive. Now, they are not. This is a completely different market catagory than normal laptops.

The person who buys a crappy 15.4" 8 pound Acer for $500 from Best Buy is not the same person who buys a 9" 3 pound HP for $500.

Some of us already have great desktops, and maybe even a great larger laptop (MacBook Pro, Lenovo T61, Dell XPS, etc), and want something we can toss in a bag to bring onto a flight or to school or work.

$500... when the Asus Eee PC is $400 with a lower rez screen... I dunno
Schools had better get a deep discount.

I'd rather buy a $400 14.1" laptop for couchside web browsing. These almost-PC notebooks just aren't cheap enough to justify their purchase for me. $150 is where I'd be interested in a device like this, which ain't going to happen soon.

That's stupid. It makes more sense to buy an old notebook and install your own choice of software on it. Laptops for kids is a good idea, high price tags arn't.

lets see, $500 for a piece of crap that limits you to web surfing, or $850 for a full-featured refurb macbook, or even $600-700 for a pretty nice toshiba, gateway, dell or acer

It looks a fair bit bigger than the 3e. It's also heavier. But it's made by HP who is known for the quality and dependability of their notebook computers. Just kidding.

The upcoming 3e with the larger screen should be a perfect micro.

Many will agree that the price is high. However, the most important thing that will determine whether someone will buy it is value.

Honestly, I like the form factor, the finish and the size, and screen res. I love the almost full size keyboard... The EEE PC keyboard sucks. Once they get a version out that uses the atom, I would be really tempted to grab this. Especially if it drops $100 by then...

If this was an Atom with 1GB RAM I would be all over it. I like the size/weight of the EEE, but this looks like is has a usable keyboard with not much weight added (less than 3lbs versus 2lbs).

Back