HP unveils EliteBook 700 series AMD-powered business laptops

It's nice to see AMD laptops that can go up to 16GB of RAM and 1920*1080. I don't see that much aside from bleeding edge gaming laptops. I would add my own SSD though unless their tossing in a Samsung.

Have had 16GB installed in a Acer laptop with a AMD n970 phenom 2 for years now. Also installed 16GB in a HP laptop with a10-4600m. 1080 screen would be good though. Most laptops say 8GB is only supported but in reality they all support 16GB.

Have had 16GB installed in a Acer laptop with a AMD n970 phenom 2 for years now. Also installed 16GB in a HP laptop with a10-4600m. 1080 screen would be good though. Most laptops say 8GB is only supported but in reality they all support 16GB.

Likewise, been rocking an A10-4600m HP Pavilion dv7 for 2 years+ now with 16gb of ram, though only at 1600x900.

Does it make a difference?

Using a Samsung? Depends on what SSD they are actually using. For these laptops I would go for reliability which is going to be either the 845 or 850 pro. I don't know which ones they are using, I'm fairly positive its an Intel SSD.

I can confirm they're all Intel SSDs. specifically the Pro 1500 line. I don't foresee any reliability issues with these drives.

The price they're quoting for the HP is too expensive. My Samsung A8-4500M was $350 (about 1/2 the price shown in the article). Until Broadwell Iris pro comes out AMD APUs have better graphics than Intel.

The price they're quoting for the HP is too expensive. My Samsung A8-4500M was $350 (about 1/2 the price shown in the article). Until Broadwell Iris pro comes out AMD APUs have better graphics than Intel.

It makes you wonder, how much additional construction cost does it take to build a notebook to the mil spec standards used in these elitebooks? How much cost is incurred by extending the manufacturer warranty from 1-3 years?

I'd expect these machines to cost more due to the given mil-spec rating and better materials/construction than some 350 machine, same goes for the optional higher quality displays and internal components. But above 800 dollars WITHOUT upgraded displays and batteries seems like a stretch.

I would not mind picking up the 745 with the upgraded display and battery + the slice battery in the 800-900 dollar range. But they seem to want at least 50% more for that.

It makes you wonder, how much additional construction cost does it take to build a notebook to the mil spec standards used in these elitebooks? How much cost is incurred by extending the manufacturer warranty from 1-3 years?

I'd expect these machines to cost more due to the given mil-spec rating and better materials/construction than some 350 machine, same goes for the optional higher quality displays and internal components. But above 800 dollars WITHOUT upgraded displays and batteries seems like a stretch.

I would not mind picking up the 745 with the upgraded display and battery + the slice battery in the 800-900 dollar range. But they seem to want at least 50% more for that.

I'm in the same boat - I wish these were priced with a 1080p display in the $800. Having had an i7 Elitebook from work, the build quality is nice, but it's not twice as good as my AMD based Pavilion dv7.

@tybert7 ; 6-7 hours idle, 5 wifi browsing, 2~ full load.

@reb00tin: it's built a hell of a lot better than modern thinkpads (excepting the X140e...that's a tank.), and undercuts the X240 by quite a lot when you feature parity them. I'd say mine was ~well worth~ the 1200.

It's no gaming laptop for sure, but it's damned good for ULV ultrabook style.

Seconded - My HP g7 Frankenstein (Intel exterior, AMD brains) with the A10-5750m and 8GB is *fantastic* - Although it doesn't push DDR3-1866 (the memory and processor are rated, but the system won't go beyond DDR3-1600), it's a *superb* machine.

The 6360t I just rebuilt as a primary laptop is also doing fantastically - 16GB of DDR3-1600 and an i5-2450m - I couldn't be happier with the performance of this little 13" laptop.

The X130e, 131e and 140e are the same, exact, chassis. (with a couple of port differences, but otherwise, exact.)

I don't know who mentioned Thinkpads, but it wasn't me. I bought a T540p 20BE004EUS and returned it, screen was just awful.

The 11e barely qualifies as a thinkpad. it doesn't even have a touchpoint.

It's probably built better than dell's 11.6, but it's the exact same class of device as is.

How well are colors displayed on the current generation of EliteBook? Is it passable for light photo editing?

The IPS FHD panel in the 725 is, to my eyes, perfect. More accurate than the IPS on my X230.

I lack any calibration equipment though.

I can say (now that I ordered one and tried it out), the ThinkPad 11e is quite a pleasure to use. A year ago, Dell's new entry-level 11-inch Inspiron unit cost more and was not nearly as nice as the ThinkPad 11e.

For whatever it's worth.

The 11e barely qualifies as a thinkpad. it doesn't even have a touchpoint.

It's probably built better than dell's 11.6, but it's the exact same class of device as is.

Back