HP Proliant NL40 HTPC

Joni Nitro

Gawd
I have read threads about people using these as HTPCs. Mine currently is running WHS with 10tb of hard drive space. I also upgraded it with 8gb of ram, overkill I know, but it was so cheap.

So this is what I am thinking:

HTPC:
NL40 with modded bios
8gb ram
64gb SSD
Bluray reader
1tb HDD for DVR use with HD Prime
Asus GT520 half height card HDMI
Windows 7 and XBMC

Server:
E6750
8gb ram
DFI DK P35
ATI 4550
5x2tb Samsung F4s in Raid 5 or JBOD
WHS 2011

So would this make sense or should I just use the E6750 setup as my HTPC? I only like the NL40 because its small and quiet. I mostly back up my blurays as mkv to retain full quality media.

Suggestions?

Although the N40L would work as a HTPC, I personnally wouldn't use it as such. Reasons being

The N40L supports ECC RAM, you should use this for your server
Easy Access Drive Bays - in case a drive ever fails, this is very easy to replace.

And as an HTPC, the N40L provides no upgrade path. You can't bump up the CPU or use much more as a GPU because of the PSU/space. Maybe you'll never need to upgrade, but in case you ever decide you want to record TV with a tuner or use a better GPU for playing games, the N40L wouldn't give you a choice.

And personally, I don't think the N40L would look very good next to a TV compared to a HTPC case.

And you've already got the N40L setup as a server, if it works, why change it lol

Well, I have been playing around with my HP N40L as a HTPC. I can say this much so far. I installed a silent XFX 6450, used my 64gb SSD for a boot drive and a 500gb storage drive. I also used a bluray drive to test play back from a disk.

First off this thing is dead silent, with everything off in the my room I could barely make out the noise from the rear fan. I installed Win 7 64bit, Total Media Theater, and XBMC. So far everything has been playing perfectly. I streamed a 20gb MKV from my server with DTS flawlessly. Once I got XBMC configured it looked and sounded great. Blu rays play straight from the drive with TMT installed through WMC. I also dont think that the little black cube sitting next to my receiver looks all that bad. I will probably pull the LED out of the "HP" in the front.

I think it makes an excellent HTPC. I was commenting on the NL40 with someone else. It doesn't make a good file server once you get into the kind of capacity that's needed for HTPC use. You'll blow past it's space requirments pretty quickly with BR quality movies.

Since it's low power make that your HTPC.

The server is a little over powered for basic file serving needs, but eh it will work. I think what you are doing makes sense. The NL 40 has PCIe x16 so video card wise you won't be constrained too much. Even if you want recording, you've got that fileserver you could easily put the tuner in there and call it day.

Eh.... go for it.

Yeah, I have been using it now for a few days and its running very well. I am even ripping my blurays with it as it contains the only BR drive I have right now. It doesnt seem to be using much of my resources and seems that the speed is most likely limited by the BR drive.

As far as my server goes. That rig will handle quite a load if I need it to, but uses little power.

Back