HP ProLiant MicroServer owners' thread

My NL36 is chugging along as my dedicated NAS. Will not replace it till the thing kills over. 95% is media content I have 0 reason to replace it. I have 5 HDDs running just fine on a freenas running off a flash drive :)

Reactions: hvrt
like this
really sick of the case I have, and looking at these again. Really sick of my hard drives corrupting too (cheap atom motherboard, no fans, letting my house get too hot, btrfs...)

How fast of a one would I need to transcode for plex (720p)? Haven't been keeping up on computer stuff in the last couple years. Actually, why is it transcoding? I don't need to transcode 720p files to 720p.

Any advantage between g7 and g8 form factor wise?

Last edited:
really sick of the case I have, and looking at these again. Really sick of my hard drives corrupting too (cheap atom motherboard, no fans, letting my house get too hot, btrfs...)

How fast of a one would I need to transcode for flex (720p)? Haven't been keeping up on computer stuff in the last couple years.
Your gonna want one that comes with the core celeron based chips and can use 4 core low powered Xeon chips. This was starting with the gen 8 and beyond

Unfortunately, the compatible low-powered replacement Xeon chips are become harder to find and more expensive. You really can only find engineering samples from China on eBay. I'm in the same boat and contemplating whether it's worthwhile to buy a Gen8. I really like the form factor and power draw but the price is a little steep for the dated CPUs. I wish HP would announce a new line but the consensus is that since they updated their SKUs within the last year it is unlikely a new revision will come out soon.

Hey, what graphics card can I jam into my N54Ls that I still have running? Anything that could play 4K or 2K video?
AMD preferred but whatever

Hey, what graphics card can I jam into my N54Ls that I still have running? Anything that could play 4K or 2K video?
AMD preferred but whatever
Best I can find. I believe both expansion slots are pcie x1 slots

ZOTAC GeForce GT 710 1GB DDR3 PCIE x 1 , DVI, HDMI, VGA, Low Profile Graphic Card (ZT-71304-20L)

I got one of those as scrap, the VGA connector was wobbly and then no Video. I used a discrete GPU and it seems to be working fine. It's N54L I think.

I want to do... something... with it. First, of course, either solder some sort of VGA connection or use a discrete GPU. I would rather solder VGA because then I can use the PCI-E slot for something else if needed. Does anyone have any experience on a repair like this on this thing?

Back