HP ProCurve VLAN Routing

SKiTLz

2[H]4U
So quick question regarding VLAN Trunks on ProCurve gear.

I have two 2910al's. I have multiple VLANs.
Some devices on VLAN10 will be on Switch #1.
Some devices on VLAN10 will be on Switch #2.
I need to route between VLAN's so IP ROUTING will be enabled and VLAN10 assiged an IP 10.1.10.254

I know I create a tagged port on both devices and assign VLAN10 to it. What I'm not clear on is assigning the IP address to the VLAN for routing purposes. Do I need to do this on both switches?

Cheers

If I am correct thoose are layer 2 switches and not layer 3 so routing in any shape might not be able.

But someone please confirm this :S

But as I read it a simepl trunk should do the trick just fine and the switches will do the rest.

Trunking in HP ProCurve is different than with Cisco. A trunk is a team. Setting a port untagged on a particular VLAN sets that as the "native" VLAN. You then tag the "trunk" port(s) with the VLAN traffic that needs to traverse the link.

The 2910al switches are L2/3 switches. You'll need to create VLANs and VLAN interfaces on your "core" switch. The other switch doesn't need to have IP addresses on anything but the management VLAN.

You will need to tag the ports with VLAN10 that you want to have access to VLAN10. If the devices on those ports are desktops then you'll want to set vlan 10 untagged on those ports so the clients don't default to VLAN1.

Oh that is right , well the L"/3 I didnt know but the trunking difference I forgot about :S

Been working with Cisco to long :p

Back