HP procurve 5300xl mirroring

DaturaX

Weaksauce
I'm working on HP procurve switches for the first time and please bear with me. I'm trying to do port mirroring on the HP switches. The reason is I want to do packet sniffing for packets bound for the HP-UX server we have. And here's how the port mirroring will go. That is.

port 1 mirrored to port 10
port 2 mirrored to port 11.

In the following instances, all frame received or sent (ie. inbound or outbound) will be mirrored to port 10. How do I go about doing it? Reading up on HP user manual and surfing the HP support forum didnt help much. I read somewhere that there's a limitation such that the hardware only supports ingress (inbound) traffic. Can anyone confirm this?

ps: dont tell me to use a hub. ;) I am looking for a solution not a work around

im just throwing this out there (FYI) it may not apply to you (i don't know the architechure of the hp switches (are they foundry based?)

if you're doing port mirroring, you generally can only do 1 port mirror PER OCTAPID.

depending on the architecture, and most likely if they are 10/100 ports, that those 2 ports (right next to each other) share the same octapid

therefore, you may only be able to enable one port mirror at a time (or move one of the connectinos into another octapid (for 10/100 ports, usually 8ports per octapid (ports 1-8, 9-16, etc)

this info may not apply to you but just in case ....

Back