hp pavillion wireless has disappeared

jeffmoss26

2[H]4U
A friend of mine has an HP Pavillion TX1000 notebook and the wireless adapter has vanished.
I tried a number of things-reinstalling drivers, flashing the bios, reseating the card-all to no avail. Of course, it is out of warranty and HP wants to charge an obscene amount of money just for phone support. I had this issue on another HP laptop, which was a known problem, and they replaced the motherboard for free.
About the only thing I have not tried is an external USB wireless card.
Any thoughts?

Is it listed in device manager? If not, it seems like the card is dead.

No, it does not show up in device manager. I guess I could try to find a new wireless card, doesn't have to be from HP directly..

nope... find someone with a laptop wifi card w/ the same interface... oh look, in your sig, I see a laptop... :p

If its a mini-PCIe card and you are willing to do a little surgery, I recommend the Intel WiFi Link 5300 a/b/g/n card. They can be had for $20-$30 on Ebay and are more or less the best wifi card you can get.

As in opening the laptop and replacing the wifi card... Depending on where the card is and how easy HP makes opening the notebook it could be a very easy or very difficult job.

Back