• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

HP P410 question about RAID-50

CombatChrisNC

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Apr 3, 2013
Messages
1,140
The HP documentation says that RAID-50 (5+0) in their documentation is possible, but no where do they state any specifics or limitations.

I'm looking at a 16-disk server with a P410 as the RAID controller. I would like to do 50 in a setup like this:

4 arrays of 4 disks each - 75% usable space
or
5 arrays of 3 disks each - 66% usable space, MOST fault tolerance
or
3 arrays of 5 disks each - 80% usable space, less fault tolerance

If it can only do 2 RAID-5's nested, I would likely go to:

2 arrays of 7 disks each + 1 array of 2 disks (RAID-1). Or maybe the other 2 disks will be set up as hot-spares if that's an option.

Thoughts?

This is going to be an ESXi 6 host, running some VM's around the house.
 
No one? Man, tough question...

No one with experience and able to say if it's capable of doing more than 2 RAID5 groups? That's really as I need to know.
 
Wish I could help you :( Only P410's that I have are ones that I've ripped out of servers and installed LSI HBAs in their place :(
 
From page 84 in the manual:
ParityGroups When you create a RAID 50 or RAID 60 configuration, you must also set the number of parity groups. You can use any integer value greater than 1 for this setting, with the restriction that the total number of physical drives in the array must be exactly divisible by the number of parity groups. The maximum number of parity groups possible for a particular number of physical drives is the total number of drives divided by the minimum number of drives necessary for that RAID level (three for RAID 50, four for RAID 60).

Manual

I assume this means that you can setup any RAID50 configuration that you want as long as you have as least 3 drives per RAID5 segment. I'd probably do a 5x3 scenario with the 16th as a Hot spare.
 
Back
Top