HP P400 Any good?

zer0gravity

[H]ard|Gawd
I have 2 Hp microservers and looked to add hardware raid in them. Is the older p400 card any good? Its very cheap on ebay and comes with battery backup and other than having to get breakout cables seems more cost effective than a p212 or p410. Any input?

Thanks

Can't do RAID 50, but if you only need 0, 1, 1+0 or 5, it's fine. It also is only SAS 3.0Gb/Sata 1.5 Gb.

Anybody run the P400 without a heatsink? I've bought two and neither came with the factory heatsink. I've been afraid to run them without.

Comments/Suggestions?

I think most people run them w/o heatsink as they the P400 didn't come w/ them and I'm one of them, no issues at all, it didn't really seem to really run hotter than my other LSI controllers(also 1078 chip based) w/ heat sinks and actually ran cooler than my 5 series Adaptec controllers.

I've tended to use a fan on mine - HP servers tend to provide cooling around all aspects of the system including the expansion card area. As most people have mentioned the tools for managing these are poor outside of the HP server so whilst they are sturdy in my experience I'm not sure they are the most home user friendly. I've had one fail on me completely but I've not had the dropouts that I get with my Areca.

There are some great threads about ZFS on here. If you are versed in NIX that could be an alternative to h/w RAID.

Back