HP Omen 65 Emperium

It seems wildly stupid to buy this over a 120hz 2019 OLED. Yeah we don't have HDMI 2.1 video cards quite yet, but come on.... this is more than double the price of a similar OLED, only has 384 zones and is a mediocre panel in general.

I certainly can see the point of the 14ms G2G time but this isn't a 1440 display, it's a 4K display. I am hoping somebody has some in person experience/testing on it.

Just saw this in the footnotes:
4. Default refresh rate is 120Hz with NVIDIA® G-SYNC® HDR on

I guess HDR mode cuts down the refresh rate. Not entirely sure why though.

120Hz is still pretty good for 4K, and you'll be lucky to get 120fps even with the best system anyhow.

It seems wildly stupid to buy this over a 120hz 2019 OLED. Yeah we don't have HDMI 2.1 video cards quite yet, but come on.... this is more than double the price of a similar OLED, only has 384 zones and is a mediocre panel in general.
It's early adopters on a 6month time scale.

If you want it NOW there's no other choice really.

It's complete snake oil. The response time is a joke. This was just a way for Nvidia to dump shield hardware they couldn't sell. Repugnant. If you buy a display in 2019 that doesn't support HDMI 2.1, you blew it.

It's got "4ms (gray to gray overdrive)" response time when overdrive is in use - which is basically whenever you would use it. If there is any significant overshoot is another question altogether but that response time is OK. But to be honest for a display this expensive I would want something better. I would definitely want HDMI 2.1 too for making it future proof for use with next gen consoles.

I don't see this selling to anyone but those with too much money. Eventually it will be heavily discounted or just quickly discontinued as 4K 120 Hz HDMI 2.1 TVs surpass it in the next few years.

I certainly can see the point of the 14ms G2G time but this isn't a 1440 display, it's a 4K display. I am hoping somebody has some in person experience/testing on it.

Just saw this in the footnotes:
4. Default refresh rate is 120Hz with NVIDIA® G-SYNC® HDR on

I guess HDR mode cuts down the refresh rate. Not entirely sure why though.

This isn't lag. It's response times.
And it's higher than the refresh rate. ( 1000/14 = ~71.5 ) Plus that likely means some really gnarly color transition speeds.

Other than early adopting plutocrats who don't really consider this a large expenditure at all, it's a stupid choice.
That actually sounds... honest?

Anything with 1ms or 4ms or whatever is lying outright; I'd take a display that had a max of 14ms any day.
It's G2G so it's entirely possible to have higher response times on some transitions.

Back