HP Omen 27QS?

LigTasm

Supreme [H]ardness
Does anyone have this screen? I saw it when I was in Best Buy yesterday and it looks really, really nice as far as image quality goes. Its a 27" 1440p 240hz IPS, it was sat next to the Asus 27" OLED and looked just as good (on the desktop anyways) for only $429.

I wasn't able to really find any reviews of it, nor could I find out what panel was in it. I'm suspecting its the same one used in the Alienware AW2723DF but the price is $200 cheaper. I'm really considering ordering it, on the HP direct site its only $389 and I particularly like the square base - I really really hate the V shape legs that take up half your desk for no apparent reason. Just wondering if someone has it and can comment on it before I pull the trigger as I hate shipping monitors back if it isn't exactly what I wanted.

The AW2723DF uses an AU Optronics or Sharp panel while the 27QS uses an LG or BOE panel (most likely the MV270QHM-NF6 from the LG 27QR83Q). The HP has fake HDR while the Alienware is edge-lit. Peak brightness on the HP is 400 nits while it's 700 on the Alienware. The Alienware can also be overdriven to 280 Hz while the HP lacks an overdrive feature. It also looks like the HP only has HDMI 2.0b inputs while the Alienware has HDMI 2.1 with Freesync Premium. All of that would explain why it's $200 more expensive.

The AW2723DF uses an AU Optronics or Sharp panel while the 27QS uses an LG or BOE panel (most likely the MV270QHM-NF6 from the LG 27QR83Q). The HP has fake HDR while the Alienware is edge-lit. Peak brightness on the HP is 400 nits while it's 700 on the Alienware. The Alienware can also be overdriven to 280 Hz while the HP lacks an overdrive feature. It also looks like the HP only has HDMI 2.0b inputs while the Alienware has HDMI 2.1 with Freesync Premium. All of that would explain why it's $200 more expensive.

I couldn't find the HP panel anywhere and most of the 1440p 240hz displays are VA which I don't like, but I don't really mind about HDR as I do not use it. Too bright for me. I'm not a monitor snob to where I bring out a calibration tool and check what % of what spectrum it covers, if it looks good to my eye its good. I think I'm just going to wait for 32" 4K OLEDs next year though, I already have 3 screens at home I don't need any more. Although this one is tempting.

Just pointing out the difference since you stated thinking it used the same panel as the Alienware.

So I picked this thing up, it went on sale for $349 which is honestly a damn good price for a 240hz 1440p 27" IPS. I'm actually really liking this monitor, no dead pixels or edge glow that I can see. At 75% brightness on the "native" color setting it looks fantastic, and the AG coating is pretty mild. It looks like what you get on a Dell/AW 34" ultrawide. Does not seem to be good at HDR, or I can't see any difference in the few games I tested anyways.

Back