HP Notebook Takes Bullets Saving Soldier

Looking at the linked article its fairly clear that the bullets went through a backpack first.

Also some of them obviously hit sideways, or were in tumble from hitting other objects first. Needless to say the laptop certainly stopped the bullets.

Did it save the soldier life? Don't think so not unless the only thing he was wearing was a backpack.

Then again he might have been one of these guys...

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...ge=2&ndsp=32&ved=1t:429,r:10,s:28&tx=74&ty=86

If the rounds were tumbling they would've had to gone through something first or been at a fairly long range or been shot from a really short barrel from a good distance.... The reason why I won't buy into that is the obvious...

If the rounds were tumbling and he got hit 8 times..... that is some pretty good accuracy under the conditions which the bullets would be tumbling....

A round from an AK has a bit more penetration than a BB gun ;)

I can see this happening under the right circumstances though. There are a lot of variables such as the type of gun/bullet used, the distance it was fired from, whether it passed through anything else before, and which part of the laptop it hit (as many people mentioned the battery is particularly dense).

I know that ak rounds "are a bit different than bb's", but the fact that so many shots from a bb gun were not even able to really make any marks for the most part, except for it breaking the ICs says something about the strength of multi layer circuit boards.

Single layer circuit boards are very easy to break/shoot through with a bb gun.

Go ahead and try to bend a multi layer circuit board in order to break it.... ain't gonna happen. Single layer.. first bend and it is going to break.

As for those bullets, yeah, they did hit other stuff first... but the laptop did have a decent part in stopping them.

What's with all the HP laptop hate? Last I read HP was rated one of the best for laptops. Never had an issue with my HP laptop anyway.

I'm at the point where the clouds could part and a booming thunderous voice from the sky declaring HP as the best laptop makers in the world wouldn't get me to believe it.

Reason: at my store, we have more returns to manufacturer on HP and Compaq laptops than any other brand. We also order more parts for them than any other brand. We also sell, repair and return more of their refurbished ones than any other brand.

Brand spanking new comparison-wise, we sell all brands we carry about equally, so its not a term of scale. For one laptop return of any other brand, we will get anyhere between 3-10 returns for hp/compaq for the week. Just about every hardware issue imaginable. For parts replacement? Almost exclusively.

My girlfriend has an hp laptop now. She bought it about 2 years ago. Paid a grand for it so it wasn't some low ender cheapy. Her issue? Wireless no longer works. At all. I've tried to troubleshoot it six ways to Sunday, trying just about everything that google finds that doesn't involve taking it apart. No dice. And the laptop would be in the same room as the router. All other devices including my phone can pick up the router, from the basement, so I know its not the router.

And let me tell you, HP is the cheapest company when it comes to shipping product via parcel or freight, as well as properly protecting the unit inside the product box, which probably contributes to the issue.

I know that ak rounds "are a bit different than bb's", but the fact that so many shots from a bb gun were not even able to really make any marks for the most part, except for it breaking the ICs says something about the strength of multi layer circuit boards.

Single layer circuit boards are very easy to break/shoot through with a bb gun.

Go ahead and try to bend a multi layer circuit board in order to break it.... ain't gonna happen. Single layer.. first bend and it is going to break.

As for those bullets, yeah, they did hit other stuff first... but the laptop did have a decent part in stopping them.

Clearly you know absolutely nothing about firearms.

I can understand the hate for the consumer version of the HP laptop. I have several retired nc6220's, a couple of nc6400's, a 6910p, a 2510p, and my newest 8540p. Those are are business class machines and just seem to be of a better quality. I would not buy an HP from a big box store though. The 6220's are 6 or 7 years old, and most of them still run like champs. They are great with 7 32 bit. The nc6400 is not is reliable as the 6220 though. The 6910p, and its little brother the 2510p are excellent machines. I think if you stay with the business line you will be fine.

i'm curious, what hardware problems do they have?
almost every part except the mobo is non-exclusive to hp.
what can possibly fail that doesn't fail in any other brand?

and yes, everyone with an out of warranty broken hp can now sell it on ebay as body armor.

They all use the same hardware so don't see why that is. What's inside an Asus that makes it better than an HP? I bought mine about 3 years ago so is prior to this "sampling" but I research everything before I buy it and if there was any concern at the time I would not have bought an HP. But no reviews I read said they had issues and all gave good reviews.

The problem is the cooling design in HP laptops sucks and they heat up and die. I get HPs in my shop all the time that are dead from heat and there is nothing that can be done about it. the also kill hard drives more often for the same reason.

The problem is the cooling design in HP laptops sucks and they heat up and die. I get HPs in my shop all the time that are dead from heat and there is nothing that can be done about it. the also kill hard drives more often for the same reason.

OK, I will have to take your word for it because my experience does not show that. Nut I have cooling pad too and don't place my laptop where the vents are covered like lots of people I see do.
I've already changed the HDD in mine anyway but just to get more space and not because the one it came with failed.

have you ever opened them up just to find a huge layer of dust clogging the heat sink fins?

99.9% of people don't do the required dust maintenance.

my 7 year old dell cheapo celeron laptop (which is still running today) used to heat up, and i would periodically disassemble the hsf and brush out the dust balls that would build up.
no more excessive fan spinup after every cleaning.

If the rounds were tumbling they would've had to gone through something first or been at a fairly long range or been shot from a really short barrel from a good distance.... The reason why I won't buy into that is the obvious...

If the rounds were tumbling and he got hit 8 times..... that is some pretty good accuracy under the conditions which the bullets would be tumbling....

Buddy has a shot out k98. It keyholes badly, but can still hit a mansized target at 50 yards. It is possible the rounds were tumbling for any number of reasons.

Buddy has a shot out k98. It keyholes badly, but can still hit a mansized target at 50 yards. It is possible the rounds were tumbling for any number of reasons.

No doubt, but could you say you could shoot someone 8 times before they take cover/move etc?

It just sounds extremely suspicious.

Not by Compaq. My niece damaged the LCD screen on a laptop accidentally and they would not replace it.

Shot it accidently or just broke it accidently. if she just broke it and they refused to fix it that is bull shit as LCDs are covered under the accidental projection plan, but sounds like something HP would do. they don't like to actually honor any warranty. Unless you have mission critical they won't fix anything in a timely manager. I had to wait 3 weeks once for them to come out to fix a server as they didn't feel like coming out. when i tried to complain i was just told that non mission critcal doesn't have a time frame in which they will fix something. they will call me back within 4 hours and that is it, they will actually get to fixing it when they want.

Finally, a good use for an HP laptop.. body armor. At least they are good for something.

75% of my repairs in a normal week are HP laptops. Compared to any other brand, they have far more hardware problems and are more difficult to work on than all but the older Powerbooks.

This.

We've recently switched to another company at work for our PCs and servers, for the above reasons and also the extra cost of HP servers.

Don't even get me started on Server 2008 64 bit drivers for HP printers... they're literally the worst drivers I've ever seen.

HP doesn't have some great repair ratings these days (see PC magazine's yearly survey, for example) but I personally haven't had a lot of problems with them. My HP TX2 tablet PC is still working like a champ.

My theory is that it's mostly the cheap laptops hurting them. Because their higher end hardware all seems to be pretty decent.

You know, the mass-market, Intel graphics, $400-$500 Best Buy laptop specials - where they suck. I think they produce some junk there and it drags down their ratings.

How far do you have to be to make a full auto grouping like that from an AK?

As a retired Combat Infantryman, I found this story interesting - not because of the bullets, but the publicity for HP. I have a little story about HP and soliders -
The AAFES [PX] system has a websales presence, has for years. As part of that presence, many vendors have 'shops' that offer products just to servicemembers. Two years ago I was in the market for an HP all in one touchsmart for my wife. The model I wanted was not out yet, but it was listed for sale on HP's site and the AAFES HP shop. One major difference - no state sales tax at the AAFES shop, however HP does charge state sales tax for my state. Yet, suprisingly, the Touchsmart was over $100 cheaper on the HP site after tax. I called and talked to a saleswoman. I asked why normal people were charged over $100 less for a product than active duty and retired servicemembers. What followed was silence.
They ordinarily rip off servicemembers folks, the price proves it. HP can pound sand.

As a retired Combat Infantryman, I found this story interesting - not because of the bullets, but the publicity for HP. I have a little story about HP and soliders -
The AAFES [PX] system has a websales presence, has for years. As part of that presence, many vendors have 'shops' that offer products just to servicemembers. Two years ago I was in the market for an HP all in one touchsmart for my wife. The model I wanted was not out yet, but it was listed for sale on HP's site and the AAFES HP shop. One major difference - no state sales tax at the AAFES shop, however HP does charge state sales tax for my state. Yet, suprisingly, the Touchsmart was over $100 cheaper on the HP site after tax. I called and talked to a saleswoman. I asked why normal people were charged over $100 less for a product than active duty and retired servicemembers. What followed was silence.
They ordinarily rip off servicemembers folks, the price proves it. HP can pound sand.

It's not just HP, a lot of PX rip off servicemen. There are very, very few deals in the PX.

The commissary on the other hand usually has quite a few deals, but that can be hit or miss sometimes as well.

Accuracy through volume of fire.

Good thing it was HP.

If it was a Sony VAIO, a hacker would have used the laptop to fire the bullets.

If it was an Acer, the bullet would have passed straight through without leaving a trace due to all the holes in the design.

If it was an Apple laptop, it would have jumped out of the way to save itself letting the owner take the bullets, and then automatically sued his grieving widow for usage not permitted in the terms and conditions.

Best post here...

I've been running my Elitebook continuously since I bought it and the one before the same way and no problems at all. I do have some older HP laptops that are dead due to the fact that they have the bad nvidia chips in them.

Back