HP news

Modred189

Can't Read the OP
[H] News,
I thought i would pass on some information I learned from HP this last week via a training seminar.
HP has been planning some major changes in their consumer line for a while, and most will happen this summer:
1: ALL HP systems will ship with a 64-bit version of Windows Vista (Home premium or ultimate). An interesting move, but I must say that It's about time.
2: ALL HP laptops will move from the 6-cell batteries to 12-cell, extending the battery life by several market-hyped percentages, but they expect to go from averaging 2 hours to 3.5-4 hours.
3: they will begin offering quad core processors in their laptops. They SAID they would be AMD processors, but I find that hard to believe.

And there were rumors that they were thinking of purchasing AMD. This was an interesting idea considering the consequences. Integrator, graphics and CPU/chipset designer all under one roof? Interesting...

Hy store's HP rep reiterated much of this information on Sunday to us.

And there were rumors that they were thinking of purchasing AMD. This was an interesting idea considering the consequences. Integrator, graphics and CPU/chipset designer all under one roof? Interesting...

I thought AMD buying ATI was stupid(and I still do), but this takes the cake as the dumbest fucking idea I've ever heard. The last thing AMD needs in its current state is to be taken over by another company.

The other stuff sounds interesting, and the 12-cell standard battery is definitely a good move. The 6-cell just doesn't give enough battery life, and the 12-cell provides a much-needed extension to the running time for a pretty much unnoticeable weight increase.

I thought AMD buying ATI was stupid(and I still do), but this takes the cake as the dumbest fucking idea I've ever heard. The last thing AMD needs in its current state is to be taken over by another company.
I don't know. Considering AMD/ATi's issues in the market right now, they could do worse than being bought by the largest computer company in the world.

HP buying AMD would destroy it's laptop business, due to intel no longer blessing them with Centrinos....and servers due to Itanium/Xeons going away

It would, however, likely work wonders in the workstation market to have the cheapest FireGL prices going.

I think it'd destroy HP as a whole though...Intel would distance itself if not pull out altogether, and likely lean harder on Dell/Gateway to drop AMD stuff...and Dell's already leaning that way

HP buying AMD would destroy it's laptop business, due to intel no longer blessing them with Centrinos....and servers due to Itanium/Xeons going away

It would, however, likely work wonders in the workstation market to have the cheapest FireGL prices going.
I don't think they would do that. Intel still makes crossfire boards and mobos with ATi chipsets.

As far as I know, that's because DAAMIT is easier to work with and less strict about licensing than nVidia...

...I think HP buying AMD would push intel to take the plunge into the discrete grapics market altogether

As far as I know, that's because AMD is easier to work with and less strict about licensing than DAAMIT...

...I think HP buying AMD would push intel to take the plunge into the discrete grapics market altogether

DAAMIT is a mock acronym of AMD/ATI, so I'm not quite sure what your post means. Also, Intel is going into the discrete graphics market. If I remember correctly they were planning to release a card in 2009.

DAAMIT is a mock acronym of AMD/ATI, so I'm not quite sure what your post means. Also, Intel is going into the discrete graphics market. If I remember correctly they were planning to release a card in 2009.
True, plus the cost-cutting capabilities of such a merger would be awesome.

Asfor anti trust compliance...

Who HASNT been rumored to be buying AMD. Oh well, I was a fan of theirs until maybe several years ago.

I like the battery and 64bit idea though, good for them for pushing the 'standard'.

True, plus the cost-cutting capabilities of such a merger would be awesome.

Asfor anti trust compliance...

A merger like that would probably result in either drastically higher prices for other manufacturers to get AMD CPUs, or HP would be able to undercut them by so much that those other companies would have to stop selling AMD systems altogether. Plus, I doubt HP would be able to manage AMD well. Chances are the company would be restructured to better fit into HP's business strategy, and that could only be a bad thing. AMD is doing bad enough already with their future product outlook, imagine what would happen if HP decides to cancel their future high-end CPU and GPU architectures to focus on more profitable budget components. If you think Intel and nVidia control their respective markets now, think of what would happen if AMD stops competing in the high-end sector altogether.

fixed..my bad...got in a hurry typing while I was at work :p

and yes they are, but they're starting in the low/mid sector [which is where the $$ is due to OEM acceptance], but it's not where the publicity is

Back