HP Mini 1000

It seems threads about this little netbook are pretty few and far between. Anyway, I'm typing this on my brand new HP Mini 1000. I have the 16GB SSD model. Now, I have always hated the SSD, but this particular model was on clearance at Best Buy, so I bought it, as I have been looking for an HP netbook, and was going to purchase the 2133 model, but this was only a few dollars more, and came with the Atom CPU. So far, the SSD is quite impressive, and I notice no lagging whatsoever. It also is so QUIET. I'm astounded at how quiet this little machine is. It might cost a little more than the average SSD netbook, but from what I've seen, it definitely is the best built, and best looking of them all.

thanks for the input! Im thinking about getting a mini1k and putting 2gb ram in it, and installing only firefox and notepad++ (work laptop)

does the cpu seem to keep up with browsing?

how does the keyboard feel?

did you try Win7 on it yet?

IMHO the HP mini 1000's and the 2140 are the 2nd best, and best netbooks on the market currently....

they have *the* best keyboards and builds of any of the netbooks... i just love the feel....

i just wish the 2140 was a bit cheaper.....

I picked one up a little over a week ago from Best Buy (1gb ram, 16gb SSD, XP home) and I can't complain. I think mine says it's a 1030NR if I recall. Plays YouTube videos fine, browses fine, and runs putty and WinSCP without issue. The only thing that really gets hot on that laptop is the batttery. Plus, the webcam has much faster response than my wife's Inspiron 1525 webcam. With the options that came with it out of the box (webcam, bluetooth, 2gb usb key that molds into the chassis, 10.2" glossy screen), $400 was the perfect price for it.

How much was the clearance? Was it cheaper than their usual $399 price tag for the 16gb SSD?

I plan to order it with 512 ram and get 2gb myself, and order it with the larger screen and 16gb ssd. keep it a tad cheaper i guess :p

I plan to order it with 512 ram and get 2gb myself, and order it with the larger screen and 16gb ssd. keep it a tad cheaper i guess :p

The times I've checked on HP.com, the 1gig was the minimal as it was a "free upgrade".

Just a quick update for all of you, and a word of caution:

I returned mine to Best Buy because I discovered that they keyboard was hitting the screen. Not just the usual contact, but it actually was scratching the screen every time I closed it. After fighting with BB they agreed to refund my money. I just wanted to notify other users of this potential problem with these. Maybe I just got a lemon, but I found other users who were having the same difficulties.

woah...

thats a pretty serious problem.... question though.... were you putting things on top of the mini while it was closed? textbooks maybe? i know, it should still be able to take that weight just fine... but i'd just like to know a little bit about how you were using it.... because i had settled on buying one of these things myself....

many thanks for the heads up...

No, I am VERY careful with my equipment. I did not even have a sheet of paper on top of it. With the computer closed, I inserted a piece of paper into the closed computer, between the keyboard and the screen, and I was able to LIFT the computer with the piece of paper. It was that tight. I always set it on my desk, and made sure that I never let anything get near it or on it. It appears this was just a big design flaw, or perhaps I got a lemon, but considering the fact that others have had similar problems, I don't believe this to be the case.

ouch... well a thousand thanks for the heads up....

guess i'll be waiting a bit more for my netbook then.....

as an aside... even tho i asked if you put textbooks on the laptop, i think for a laptop to be considered to have "good" build quality, it should at least be able to withstand two textbooks of weight on top of it while closed....

Well, I agree, but the HP Mini can't even take the weight of it's own LCD screen. Pretty disappointing, especially considering that I've had great luck with Hewlett Packard products in the past. You might take a look at the Aspire One if you're interested in a netbook. They're inexpensive and they perform as well as the HP Mini. Also, I've heard great things about the Samsung NC10, which is only slightly more spendy than the HP Mini.

i wanted only the HP mini

it seemed to have the best build and keyboard or any netbook by far...

in hand it just felt so..... right....

*sigh* :(

I much prefer my NC10's keyboard to the HP Mini's. It almost reminds me of my Thinkpad keyboard...until I try to hit the FN key.

It's well worth it, and unlike the HPs, has a 3 year warranty in the US.

Btw i got a quick solution to the HP mini keyboard if it is indeed scratching your screen when closed. you can buy those small felt pads they use for furniture so it won't scratch your wood floor. i've seen small black ones before that you can cut even smaller and attached to either top right and left corner of your screen or on the bottom left and right of where your hands rest on the laptop. This should give you enough padding that the screen should not touch the keyboard.

hehe, usually the first thing i do when i get a laptop is peel off the rubber feet they have (and save them just in case), and cut little pieces of the felt furniture pads, and stick them where the rubber feet used to be :)

much more cushion for the laptop, and i personally like being able to easily slide the machine around on a smooth surface :)

Hello,

I recently purchased the Mini 1000 (1030NR) from Best Buy for $399. The specs are Atom processor 1.6Ghz, 1gig ram, and the 16GB SSD. My main issue with the machine, and what I hope someone can really help me with, is that the machine sort of "lags" or freezes for two or three seconds while web browsing. I'm using Firefox and when I open a web page it fully loads very quickly (wifi) and when I try to scroll down the it seems the browser freezes for a second or two, and during this time the HDD light stays on.

I already stopped most of the programs running near the clock area. I already ran a defrag and a disk cleanup. Any ideas?

Hello,

I recently purchased the Mini 1000 (1030NR) from Best Buy for $399. The specs are Atom processor 1.6Ghz, 1gig ram, and the 16GB SSD. My main issue with the machine, and what I hope someone can really help me with, is that the machine sort of "lags" or freezes for two or three seconds while web browsing. I'm using Firefox and when I open a web page it fully loads very quickly (wifi) and when I try to scroll down the it seems the browser freezes for a second or two, and during this time the HDD light stays on.

I already stopped most of the programs running near the clock area. I already ran a defrag and a disk cleanup. Any ideas?

You should get a 2GB stick of RAM for it, then look in to how to make a 1GB RAM-drive to store temporary files. This will limit small file read/writes to the relatively slow SSD and eliminate or greatly reduce the hitching.

I ran in to a very similar issue with an ASUS EeePC 900A, and that was the best solution I ever found.

I'll have to give that a try myself. I've seen the same happen a few times with opera on my HD based wind. I'll probably only stick a half gig in though. I shouldn't need more for a cache, and I've got a pair of 512MB sodimms in my parts box.

Back