I have recently bought the above HP Microserver, but with my current setup, I am seeing poor network transfer speeds. I am hoping people can confirm the issue, confirm the alternatives and/or workarounds?
My intention was to use this as a "home network NAS server" primarily, whilst also being a small test lab environment for Microsoft technologies, so I installed ESXi 4.1 Update 1 onto the HP Microserver, directly onto a USB flash device inserted into the internal USB socket on the motherboard.
I then created 2 VM's:
1. An Amahi server (11GB VMDK, 1GB RAM, 1 CPU). This runs fine in itself and seems stable enough.
2. A Windows Server 2008 R2 server (32GB VMDK, 2GB RAM, 1 CPU). This also installs fine, and was subsequently elevated as a new domain controller. It is currently sat idling for the majority of the time.
I then added an extra VMDK from a 2nd SATA disk in the Microserver to the Amahi VM for the home network media shares (movies, music, etc). When copying the pre-existing files from my iMac's (USB drive hanging off the iMac) to the Amahi VM via SSH/SCP, I only get throughputs of 4.1MBps (approx average)
Has anyone seen transfer speeds in this region with the same setup? Is anyone able to get much nearer the theoretical limits of a 100MBps LAN? (i.e. 10-12MBps)
Is the figure due to hardware contraints of the server? Or maybe due to the virtualisation that is on top?
My next move is to look at the performance of these 2 operating systems when running from a "bare metal" install directly onto the server's hardware. Before I do so and lose all the work currently done, can anyone confirm the transfer speeds they are seeing on their devices setup like this?
Many thanks for any info and/or help people can provide...
My intention was to use this as a "home network NAS server" primarily, whilst also being a small test lab environment for Microsoft technologies, so I installed ESXi 4.1 Update 1 onto the HP Microserver, directly onto a USB flash device inserted into the internal USB socket on the motherboard.
I then created 2 VM's:
1. An Amahi server (11GB VMDK, 1GB RAM, 1 CPU). This runs fine in itself and seems stable enough.
2. A Windows Server 2008 R2 server (32GB VMDK, 2GB RAM, 1 CPU). This also installs fine, and was subsequently elevated as a new domain controller. It is currently sat idling for the majority of the time.
I then added an extra VMDK from a 2nd SATA disk in the Microserver to the Amahi VM for the home network media shares (movies, music, etc). When copying the pre-existing files from my iMac's (USB drive hanging off the iMac) to the Amahi VM via SSH/SCP, I only get throughputs of 4.1MBps (approx average)
Has anyone seen transfer speeds in this region with the same setup? Is anyone able to get much nearer the theoretical limits of a 100MBps LAN? (i.e. 10-12MBps)
Is the figure due to hardware contraints of the server? Or maybe due to the virtualisation that is on top?
My next move is to look at the performance of these 2 operating systems when running from a "bare metal" install directly onto the server's hardware. Before I do so and lose all the work currently done, can anyone confirm the transfer speeds they are seeing on their devices setup like this?
Many thanks for any info and/or help people can provide...