HP LP3065

jalexand

n00b
Anyone got any comments about the HP LP3065. I'm bidding on one on Ebay based on reviews I've seen on the internet. But there isn't much post here about them.

It is pretty much the same as the Dell 3007WFP-HC, except it features two (2) additional DVI ports.

Yup its good. Plus, it has a lower input lag compared to other 30" displays like the new Dell 3008WFP or the Gateway XHD3000

So in other words it would work ok for some gaming. I'm planning on buying a Mac Pro here shortly and I like the idea of 3 DVI inputs. I had been planning on buying a 24 inch but with all the bad things I've read on this forum I can't seem to find one that is reasonable. I suspect that the 7600GT in my PC will need to be replaced to drive this.

I own the HP along with the Dell 3007 and 30" samsung. I recommend it. The built in switch is a very useful feature if you have multiple machines.

I bought a HP LP3065c almost one month ago. Overall, it is the best monitor I've ever used. And I've used a lot of monitors as a contract technical worker. The only flaw it has is the excessive anti-reflective treatment. Of course, it isn't a flaw if you work in a well lit room. I use an Apple 20in cinema display at work with a window behind me. I really appreciate the strong anti-reflective treatment on the Apple. I can use it or the HP for 50 hrs/week with any unusual eye strain.

Having three inputs is great. I connect my home office computer and my internet computer. And sometimes I connect a notebook from work, without having to disconnect another computer.

Text and line art are very good. I adjusted the dpi on the computers to 102 to match the monitor. The text looks better than with the default 96 dpi. Only TN monitors with glossy screens have better text and line art. Of course, they also have all of the negatives of TN glossies.

Before I bought the HP, I bought an LG L246 based upon info from this forum. After 2 months I returned it to BB (holiday return period) because the backlight bleed started
progressing. The HP has sharper text, more accurate color, and better viewing angles than the LG.

Some complaints I've heard about the HP LP3065c:

Makes noise in standby: No, completely silent in all modes, at all times.

BLB: none. And very nice blacks for an anti-reflective screen.

Bad pixels: None, no bad subpixels either. HP policy is no bad pixels and no more than three bad subpixels.

Eye strain from anti-reflective treatment: No more than any other display. In fact, glossy screens in well lit rooms are a disaster for your eyes. I know that from experience.

Thats it.

I would like to hear a comparison of the HP LP3065 to the Samsung 305T from anyone who has both.
Thx

Does anyone know if HP is still making these. Everywhere I look they are out of stock.

Looks like they might be discontinued. I bought a couple from pcnation before they went out of stock.

Umm, That sucks. I'm trying to find a nice monitor with dual DVI inputs. None of the other 30 inches seems to do this.

You can buy the HP LP3065 from authorized business dealers in your area. Just go to hp.com and look up authorized dealers for this monitor. You can also buy directly from hp.com: http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF05a/382087-382087-64283-72270-444767-3297215.html

You can also get it at Best Buy. The monitor is sold through bustbuybusiness.com buy you can walk into a store and order one.
http://www.bestbuybusiness.com/bbfb/en/US/adirect/bestbuy?cmd=catProductDetail&showAddButton=true&productID=BB10698874

There may be a rebate available from HP. Not sure if it expired.

Yea the only place it seems to exist is on ebay. Which sucks because it seems like the best of the 30 inch panels. I gotta figure out what to do now.

I spoke to HP and they have no plans to discontinue this monitor. If fact they stated they had a big shipment going out to vendors shortly. If fact I found a number of vendors had them for a while yesterday but sold out fast. I was luck enough to get one for 1358 before the 100 dollar rebate.

I've lived with this monitor for more than a month now. Only one potential complaint. I say potential because I don't allow my computer or monitor to go into standby. The problem only occurs when the monitor is in standby. I keep my monitor and computer on all day and shut down completely at night. I do that to extend the life of the equipment. Power cycling is a major source of failure in electronics. And power cycling specifically reduces the life of the fluorescent lamps used to backlight the display.

So back to the complaint. I set the monitor to go into standby to determine if I could hear the clicking noise that one person on pricegrabber said he could hear. Yes it is there. It sounds just like a hard drive seek on the computer sitting next to the monitor. I plugged the monitor into my Kill-a-watt meter to see what was going on. That click is the power supply drawing a small amount of current from the mains every 4 seconds. I suspect that the clicking sound is the result of a sloppy design decision. I've only heard of one other person noticing it so it may not happen on most monitors.

If you configure your computer and monitor for extended life like I do, you will never hear the clicking. My stuff doesn't fail. When my computer equipment hits ten years old, I give it away or recycle it. I have two Viewsonic PS790s that are ten years old. The only thing wrong with them is poor image stability. Some of the filter caps are probably going bad.

BTW, the LP3065c monitor draws 64 watts at minimum brightness where I use it. The computer only draws 75 watts. So allowing the equipment to repeatedly go into standby won't save much electricity.

So in the final analysis, I like this monitor even more than I did a month ago. The image quality is really outstanding. And having a lot of real estate eliminates much of the drudgery of computer use.

You'll have to pry this thing out of my cold dead hands.

So I just got my LP3065 toady and got it connected to my Mac Pro. All I can say is oh my god is this a hot monitor. I can't believe how good it looks over the two 5 year old 17 inch sony's I had.

If your thinking of getting this monitor you should. It's great. I don't preceive any blacklight bleed and the movie performance looks very good in my opinion.

Jason

I received this monitor and it's everything i wanted it to be. I was weary about the claims of oversaturation due to wide-gamut but those people are fools to return it for that. I have it side by side to my g520 and the colours looks more distinct than the trinitron. The only defect i've found is the dreaded backlight bleeding. Granted this is only noticable on a fully black screen. However there's a large amount of it and i dunno if it's worth returning it.Is this a severe case of blb?

I dunno how to capture a good pic of it but here's my effort in night mode without flash..The blb is a bit more brighter in person. Should i bother returning it? I have to probably wait a week cause it'll go interstate and assembling this beast into packaging is gonna be a hassle. I know i sound lazy but i couldn't even put all the styrofoam in the box even without the monitor.

IMG_4238.jpg

What do you think?

That backlight looks good to me. It is a tad bit brighter in the lower-left quadrant, but you might end up with far worse problems if you exchanged the monitor.

Wow....

I just bought the HP L3065c off eBay for $895 including shipping (See link below they have 11 more). I've been eying the 30" screen since they first came out, but I knew I would have to wait until I could get one for about $900 or less.

Some background for anyone who is interested or wants some more information. I have a HP2335 and a Dell 2407 (First model) and was running these of a 8800GT. Mostly I program, write and surf the internet. I don't do much gaming.

The reasons I decided to go with the 30" over a 32" 1080p was because:

(a) I was worried about eye strain
(b) I was going to keep using my two 24" screens and so the thinner bezel was better, and because the dot pitch of the 30" was closer to the 24" screens the windows would have similar scaling when moving between monitors.

I am glad I made the decision I did.

As far as "image" goes, there is more similarity between the Dell 2407 than te HP2335 that I have. Thus, while the Dell clearly has a much nicer "image" than the HP2335, I hardly notice a difference with te 2407. Note thatthe 2407 was the first 24" that dell put out, so its not even the HC screen. This isn't a cut to the HP3065c, I just think the improvements with the new screens are fairly minor. In short, the grass is objectively greener with the HP3065c, but you'll never notice. however, comparig the HPL3065c or the Dell 2407 with the HP2335, the grass is subjectively greener -- not to mention the HP2335 has a much bigger (and silver) bezel. This is good news for anyone who can get one of the old Dell panels for cheap. They wont look bad sitting next to the 30" panel, or if you just want a 24" but are worried that the new more expensive ones are SO much better (they're not).

Some other notes. When I set this up, I put the 30" in the middle flanked the 2407 on the right and the HP2335 on the left. The 3065 came with a dual DVI cable and the 8800 GT is able to run both the 3065 and the 2407 at their maximum resolutions. I had an extra Nvidia 6200 PCI which I used to drive the HP. I was worried that there might be some problems, and there seemed to be after I installed the 6200 drivers, but I just needed to go into Windows Display Settings and I moved one of the grayed out monitors. This asked me if I wanted to enable it (which I did) and everything worked out fine. To reposition the screens you can use the SHIFT key to move the boxes in smaller incremeents like when you move windows in in POWERPOINT.

I am going to mention the obvious. This set up is HUGE. I've been running the two 24"s for awhile now, so I am used to realestate, but at the moment this seems almost overwhelming. The set up I had to do feels a bit weird. The screens seem to jump out at you and you feel a need to sit WAY back, although my desk is fairly shallow. Consquently, so that the screen is straight on, I had to tild the 30" down toward me a bit; consequently, to perserve the perspective, I had to rotated the two 24"s about 8 degrees and tuck them behing the 30" just enough so that their bezels can be see. However in this position, I kind of feel like I am in the space shuttle. What was also fortunate is that the portrait display on the Dell rotates clockwise and the HP rotates counter clockwise.

Finally, and I don't know if is just my initial impression, but I might actually be getting some eye strain from all these monitors and all the light that is coming at me. Alternatively,I currently have a black background so maybe it is too much contrast for my eyes. Nevertheless, I do feel like I need to sit back just because the amount of visual information is so overwhelming. Something which I almost think would be helpful would be to have a couple of keys set up would dim and un-dim the side monitors.

And if anyone is interested there are still 11 of these left on eBay through the seller I bought mine from. I don't know how the rest of them will be but this one is great. No dead pixels, no scratches. As far as I can tell it it came from the factory. The only downside is that it only has a one-year warranty whereas a new one has a 3 year (I think). It also come with the "optional clip-on speaker bar", but this turns out to be useless, even if you are using it as a kind of center channel because it has no power output even though it is power by USB. Here is the link if you are interested: link

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I run 4 30 inch monitors. One of them is the HP 3065. Make sure you turn down the brightness so you don't get terrible eyestrain. I'm running the HP at 80%

How do you know what percentage you're on? All i did was just held the " - " button until the LED started flashing indicating it's at its lowest. Also what's the point of the usb cable? I was thinking sweet, there should be some usb ports but didn't see any. Not like it's a big issue but i just left it plugged in. I'm guessing it might be something to do with the input selector.

The 3065 should have came with a USB cable that has another connector type on the other end which plugs into the monitor. Im not sure what this other connector type is, but it is the same one thats on a printer I have. If you look on the left side of the minitor, on the back, you'll see the four USB slots on the side -- the monitor will act like a USB hub. I plugged in my wireless mouse, wireless keyboard, iPod dock, and my Webcam. You can never have enough USB slots!

I test drove a movie "25th hour" which was a pretty good movie in itself and for testing out the colour harmony of the monitor. I've notice different black levels are hard to distinguish, which means there's alot of dark black areas. Especially in scenes where the characters are wearing black items and it's night outside, they blend in with the background making it hard to see the outline of their clothes. It's hard to tell if someone is wearing a dark navy blue jacket or not, but it'll just look black. Pretty annoyed with that and was hoping i could fix it by changing the contrast which didn't work. Is this common on LCD monitors? I'm so used to a sony trinitron crt that i haven't been accustomed with lcd's before now.

I done a monitor test for different percentages of blacks and it was hard to see 3% difference whearas on the trinitron there was much more distinction.

This test:
http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/black.php

I can only see distinctions from the 2nd last row. I played around with the contrast and brightness and made the top row distinguishable but when i use the following test, the shade at the right of the gradient seem smooth and indistinguishable:

http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/contrast.php

I now have my LP3065c monitor and I absolutely love it! I was so worried that the text was going to be too small but it is perfect. About the same as my older Dell 1600x1200 21" LCD monitors. I do not see any noticeable backlight bleed, nice black levels and the colors are just amazing. The monitor is a bit bright, especially considering it nearly takes up your entire peripheral vision at about a one foot viewing distance (about where I sit), but it can be fixed by turning down the brightness a bit. That brings me to my one real gripe... there are no OSD controls at all and only the brightness can be changed on using the buttons on the front of the monitor. Please tell me there is software that can be downloaded to manage other settings for this monitor? I mean, the good news is that it looks amazing out of the box, but I can't figure out how I would calibrate the monitor if I wanted to right now. Any advice?

Does the LP3065 have any of the dreaded "buzzing noises" that the Dell 3007 with the same panel seems to have at different levels of brightness?

@Rendition

I just got rid of a 3007wfp because of the buzzing. I am curious too if the lp3065 buzzes. Ive heard it buzzes at anything but 100% brightness.

I have a question for LP3065 owners.
Did your monitor come with a plastic LCD protector sheet?
I just got mine off ebay and mine didn't come with any lcd protection sheet. It was just a bare panel in the bag. Is this how you got it?
Thanks.

I have a question for LP3065 owners.
Did your monitor come with a plastic LCD protector sheet?
I just got mine off ebay and mine didn't come with any lcd protection sheet. It was just a bare panel in the bag. Is this how you got it?
Thanks.

I bought mine refurbished but it did not come with a plastic LCD protector sheet either. I have had it for a while now and have had zero problems. I only use it for my computer but my games looks great on this thing.

Oh, mine did come with the speaker bar even though I think that is an upgrade. I have not used the speaker bar yet so I can't comment on quality. Did you get the speaker bar also?

Thanks for the inputs.
Mine didn't come with a bar speaker. Just monitor and cables.
Manufactured date is October, 2008. What do you guys have?

Yes, so is also the Dell ones, LG, Gateway, NEC etc.
The only 30" non IPS that I'm aware of is Samsungs and Eizos.

Yes, so is also the Dell ones, LG, Gateway, NEC etc.
The only 30" non IPS that I'm aware of is Samsungs and Eizos.
The Gateway isn't IPS. I had that LCD for a few weeks. It's got the same PVA panel as the Samsung 305T.

Back