HP LP3065 30" monitor

skimike

n00b
Received my HP LP3065 30" monitor today. Here's what I can tell of it so far:

It's quiet. No audible noise coming from the monitor at all.

Out of the box, it has very good color reproduction, almost matching colors on my Sony CPD-E540 without any tuning, something I never could get exactly right on my Planar PL201M. It does seem a tad bit bright on the reds to my eye but again, no tuning has been performed yet.

No visible ghosting with rapid movement to my eye. Mind you, I've been playing games on the Planar for a while and got used to the ghosting so I might be less inclined to be annoyed by it. However, after having done some brief playing on the HP, it is apparent to me how bad the Planar really is.

Light distribution on flat colors such as white and grey seems very good. I cannot detect with the naked eye any variances in shade/color/hue/saturation from one side to the other. Maybe the lower left corner seems the tiniest bit darker than the rest of the monitor but it could be entirely my imagination. Seems like it might be when the entire screen is white but I can't tell with any other color (and I haven't done any tuning at all, yet).

It's big. It doesn't look like it when you take it out of the box but once you sit down in front of it to work, you have to sit a couple feet away from it.

There are some drivers to install for it. You don't have to install the drivers because Windows will pick up what resolution and frequency it is capable of and do the right thing, but I installed the drivers anyway.

I can't detect any input lag or other issues that would affect gameplay. That's not to say they're not there...but I had no problems with a brief run through UT2K.

ZERO DEAD PIXELS.

On a 1500VA UPS, with no monitor on, my system represents 10% load. With the 21" Planar and my system on, the draw is 13%. With the HP and my system on, the draw is 18%. My test system currently consists of 3 74GB WD Raptors, 1 BFG 7800GTX OC 256MB, and an Athlon X2 4800+.

It came with 2 Dual-link DVI cables which was a nice touch; I was only expecting one. Other than that, it had a driver disc that came in a pack with warranty info, a couple of assembly and "how to care for it" fliers, a power cable, a USB cable, and that's it.

I'll post some pics as soon as I can pull them off the camera and get them onto someplace like imageshack.

Good too hear.

BTW, did you do the noise test with the computer on or off? If off, could you try to turn on the monitor without the computer running to see if it buzzes or squeels? Often the computer noise will mask the monitor noise (which is important for those of us who run dead silent machines).

Also, did you get the "Smart Buy" or regular buy version?

No darkness in the lower left corner. It just seems that I was sitting too close and was due to the viewing angle. With the computer off, the monitor goes into low-power mode so it's hard to tell. When I turn it off and on, there is no noise at all. My PC is very quiet compared to most so I really think this monitor is dead silent. I paid the Smart Buy price. There's no difference between R-tard and Smart Buy versions other than the price. ;)

I'm with Bastich (he's posting in the 30" release date thread), though, regarding the brightness. By default, it's a little much. I'm less sensitive to it because I'm in a bright environment, but I backed it down a little bit. My monitor doesn't actually show anything on screen when increasing or decreasing brightness with the +/- buttons. It's not really a problem but I would have expected a slider or some sort of OSD to pop up but...nada. You just have to hold the buttons down until you see some change in the image. Not sure I like that but it's a minor issue.

1000 to 1 contrast ratio. Is this monitor much better than the 3007FPW for the price? Anyone know? I have a 23" HP that's been rock solid since day one. Zero dead pixels, 2 years old now, and just a really good monitor.

Was going to buy the Dell tomorrow and saw this post. It's an extra $500 on CDW.ca versus the Dell.

Thanks skimike. Sounds like the screen is working perfectly. I suppose the next step is to use software to tune the colors.

My Google Alert pointed me to this page, which shows where to buy it for $1470 (after rebate, and before shipping/tax (if either apply)).

My LP3065 is replacing a CRT and a Samsung 204b, and this monitor is WAY better than the Samsung and even has better colors than the CRT. I won't miss either of them.

I played "The Fifth Element" Superbit DVD on it and it looked great also.

Gaming is what I bought this monitor for though, and from what I've tried so far it is awesome. I only wish I had my new video cards to fully test. My lowly, outdated 7900GTX SLI rig can barely keep up....

Bastich said:
My LP3065 is replacing a CRT and a Samsung 204b, and this monitor is WAY better than the Samsung and even has better colors than the CRT. I won't miss either of them.

I played "The Fifth Element" Superbit DVD on it and it looked great also.

Gaming is what I bought this monitor for though, and from what I've tried so far it is awesome. I only wish I had my new video cards to fully test. My lowly, outdated 7900GTX SLI rig can barely keep up....

LOL you need some 8800s. I have 2 of the GTXs running in SLI and they are smokin' fast. Upgraded from a 7900 GTX SLI setup. Even one of these cards smokes a 7900 GTX setup. To really appreciate that monitor you know you're gonna have to upgrade. 2560 ftw!! lol

Has anyone compared these to the Apple 30" or the Dell 3007?

Currently considering the Dell but the HP appears to use the second gen panel.

How well do these work from a single-link input? Will they scale? I have another system I'd like to run via the second input however it's a notebook and hasn't got dual-link support.

Skimike please let us have some screenies. And get an 8800gtx for heavens sake. I am also on the verge of pulling the trigger on 30".

skimike, I think you said a while ago that you have an Apple 30" too. Please compare the colors, especially in the green range. Thanks.

masaville said:
LOL you need some 8800s. I have 2 of the GTXs running in SLI and they are smokin' fast. Upgraded from a 7900 GTX SLI setup. Even one of these cards smokes a 7900 GTX setup. To really appreciate that monitor you know you're gonna have to upgrade. 2560 ftw!! lol

I wouldn't have purchased the monitor if I didn't plan on getting 8800GTX SLI by year's end. Intel's quad core will be powering my system soon as well. I just want to spread out the expense a little bit rather than buying all at once.

The Real Zardoz said:
Has anyone compared these to the Apple 30" or the Dell 3007?

Currently considering the Dell but the HP appears to use the second gen panel.

How well do these work from a single-link input? Will they scale? I have another system I'd like to run via the second input however it's a notebook and hasn't got dual-link support.

Well, wouldn't the new dell 3007wfp-hc model with the 92% color gamut also be using a second gen panel?

LOCO LAPTOP said:
here a link http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/ca/e...2136-12142136-12142136-12142200-12909210.html if u want to look at it but dang that thing is alot of money..

It' almost $1k more than the Dell right now. Although Dell is previous gen, 1k for a better refresh rate and maybe some sharper colors (maybe) is a lot to justify. I love the high end stuff, but since Dell dropped their price the other day I'm sitting on the fence.

Is this monitor that much better than the Dell?

Anyway know about the next gen Dell that is being mentioned?

HDCP compliant???? I dont see it in the specs.

masaville said:
It' almost $1k more than the Dell right now. Although Dell is previous gen, 1k for a better refresh rate and maybe some sharper colors (maybe) is a lot to justify. I love the high end stuff, but since Dell dropped their price the other day I'm sitting on the fence.

Is this monitor that much better than the Dell?

Anyway know about the next gen Dell that is being mentioned?

oh meh gawd lord have mercy!!! :rolleyes:
Hey masaville!! You do realize that loco laptop is probably from canada.......right????
The lp3065 is about $1600.00 US right now while the 3007wfp is about $1300.00. And next month dell is coming out with an updated 3007wfp called the 3007wfp-hc which will closely match the lp3065's specs and price.

Canadian dollar isnt that much lower. They just jacked up the price.
That does look nice though. Need comparisons between the new 3007, this and the Apple. 30" side by side showdown :)

StalkerZER0 said:
oh meh gawd lord have mercy!!! :rolleyes:
Hey masaville!! You do realize that loco laptop is probably from canada.......right????
The lp3065 is about $1600.00 US right now while the 3007wfp is about $1300.00. And next month dell is coming out with an updated 3007wfp called the 3007wfp-hc which will closely match the lp3065's specs and price.

Yup. Thanks for the Dell info!

Whoever had posted the panel/CCFL coupling theory (About the LG Phillips Units being the only ones that currently come with the Wide-CCFL bulbs). Can you confirm your source?

A google search for 92% NTSC Color gamut is returning S-PVA LCD TVs from samsung and AU Optronics.

This is making me worry. I mean I don't know if S-PVA is the apocalypse, but when I hear it, I get the same shudder & nervous twitch that mention of Timothy Robert's name used to evoke.

Demigod's Owner said:
Whoever had posted the panel/CCFL coupling theory (About the LG Phillips Units being the only ones that currently come with the Wide-CCFL bulbs). Can you confirm your source?

A google search for 92% NTSC Color gamut is returning S-PVA LCD TVs from samsung and AU Optronics.

This is making me worry. I mean I don't know if S-PVA is the apocalypse, but when I hear it, I get the same shudder & nervous twitch that mention of Timothy Robert's name used to evoke.

Wait. Somebody confirmed on this forum that both the HP LP3065 and both the Dell 3007wfp monitors all have IPS panels.
Stop it why are you trying to make me nervous??!! :(

Here is another review: http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=79421#79421

The guy even tested input lag against a CRT! He measured it to be between 0-24ms. But I've used that Virtual Stop Watch program before, and I question the accuracy of the thousandths digit, since it seemed to slowly change and not look like the hundredths digit (an ever-changing blur of numbers)...so the worst input lag might only be as little as 11ms (if one measurement was xx:019 and another was xx:030, yet the program said xx:012 and xx:036...purely guessing), or maybe it's as high as 29ms. But anyway it looks sufficiently low and similar to the 3007.

Back