HP LP2480ZX

I bought two HP LP2480zx and testing first one.
in lagom lcd black level test I can see very slight static dithering.
I have also LG W2420R with the same panel. Image is exactly the same as HP except it have no discernible dithering. I am not going to loose sleep because of it. It is impossible to see in normal images.

Frankly those monitors can be bought in such good prices because of 'pink' image that it is shame not to buy one. Pink tint is caused by green diode wearing out faster and it is easily calibrated without loosing contrast after which image quality is stellar.

Best bung/buck ratio. I got two for $230. Not for each but for two
w00t.png

If I paid few thousandths bucks for one unit I would be pissed for any amount of dithering, even such as this.

Bought another HP DreamColor LP2480zx for about 217 USD total (with shipment) and it came also with HP DreamColor calibration kit. It is older model based on i1 Eye-One Display 2 whereas I already own kit based on newer superior i1 Display Pro for which I paid heavy buck for (>300 USD)

Auction stated monitor is broken and have pink screen and the way to fix this is to do something like this: http://nookkin.com/articles/diy/fixing-a-purple-backlight-on-an-hp-dreamcolor.ndoc ...

To my surprise monitor had barely 4328 hours of backlight time and 4328 hours since last calibration... you f*cking kidding me? my first thought was... and it was nowhere pink level my previous two HPs were.

Obviously the next thing I did was using my calibrator and calibrated it straight away to perfect 6500K. If 8.5K hours panel which was completely pink calibrated perfectly to D65 then why barely pinkish 4.3K panel wouldn't?
Then I used included older probe and it yielded identical result...

This seller is...
giphy.gif

and of course this monitor is :cool:

Not sure why I need three of these... but I guess I can never have too much RGB-LED A-TW monitors :LOL:

Interesting fact: LP2480zx which I currently use have 4608 hours since last calibration and it still perfectly white suggesting these panels going pink is a manufacturer ploy to force users to buy overpriced HP calibrators rather than some real hardware issue :cautious:

I remember when the DreamColors were a big deal around 8 years ago -- couldn't afford one then, so I went for the "relatively budget" option: the NEC LCD2490WUXI.

I remember when the DreamColors were a big deal around 8 years ago -- couldn't afford one then, so I went for the "relatively budget" option: the NEC LCD2490WUXI.
jup, it is ridiculous that this is 8 yo tech... and still no other LCD monitor can beat its color performance XD

I have NEC 2090UXi, smaller brother of 2490WUXi. It is nice monitor but not really playin in the same ball park as HP DreamColor which is class of its own. Hell, even Eizo CX240 with A-TW-like polarizer have worse contrast ratio and motion performance... :dead:

It is great that backlight gradually to pink over time on these monitors because I can buy them for small fraction of price I would need to pay for them if they weren't plagued by this issue :whistle:

i just bought one of these on ebay and i think i made a big mistake of buying this instead of the 2475w. It has a pink purple tint like a bunch of other lp2480zx on sale on ebay. and there is no way to adjust the red green and blue channel in the monitor ;(. Anyone got any advice? please let me know. otherwise i am returning it.

A 30bit monitor is no good when the color is all messed up. VERY POOR DESIGN!! No wonder HP refused to repair any of these under warranty because they knew how bad the design were.

I have zero luck finding the HP puck to do the calibration for sale anywhere. Also the HP calibration software doesn't detect the monitor on usb connection unless you connect the monitor to a 32bit windows system!!!! how backward crap is that?

Not to mention also that the HP calibration software will only detect this monitor thr usb if i run the software on a 32bit windows computer, not 64 bit!!!!

Last edited:
bump... please help me out. much appreciated if someone can help me out with how to get this monitor calibration to work. i hate to have to send it back ;(

I started writing response and somehow lost it XD
Maybe better chance here ;)

You have two options:
1. Get the so called "HP Dreamcolor Calibration Solution" which is i1 Display Pro calibration probe or older model i1 Display 2 and then you can hardware calibrate it
2. Open monitor, remove some kind of gunk from the sensor

re 1. This is expensive solution unless you can find cheap used probe. I have both types of probes and they perform very similarly so it doesn't matter which.
New probe is quite expensive though so maybe not preferred solution unless you actually need high color precision - and this monitor can definitely deliver !
i1 Display 2/Pro from HP is exactly the same hardware but has different firmware. Maybe there is some way to flash firmware on regular i1 Display's and if there is then those regulars should be much cheaper.
If you find a way to dump/change firmwares on these probes and need reference HP firmware then please contact me. I have both probe types.

re 2. Follow discussion at http://nookkin.com/articles/diy/fix...ndoc#comment_618199d61f60e0076338e1f5f9b63310
Imho for 60 bucks you can give it a shot and fix it.
The design flaw is of LG, not HP by the way. I had LG model with the same panel W2420R and it had the same issues.

And they going pink is actually the best "feature" of these monitors 🤗
I got three such DreamColors and before that LG with the same panel for the price that was lower than I could get any professional monitor. That estimation also include me getting HP probe which was the most expensive item but at the end of the day I can use to calibrate all my displays.

BTW. 2475w is wide gamut monitor without sRGB emulation, with CCFL lamps, hard coating and yesterday's IPS contrast ratio. In no way it compares to RGB-LED panel used in LP2480zx (which can change white-point and black-point by backlight thus calibration never reduce contrast ratio) and keep in mind there is A-TW polarizer so it have better viewing angles than almost everything on the market. I haven't yet seen any monitor with better image quality. There are monitors with better image quality for sure but not normal consumer models. For desktop and videos those are excellent monitors, especially since you can also use them at 48 and 50Hz and motion on them seems to be better than other monitors. I would even say that this is the most pleasant and least tiring to look at backlight type and industry not using it is absolutely ridiculous.

You have two options:
1. Get the so called "HP Dreamcolor Calibration Solution" which is i1 Display Pro calibration probe or older model i1 Display 2 and then you can hardware calibrate it

Thanks for getting back to me. I took a chance and bought this on ebay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/224191317874

I hope it will work. We will see... Also i notice that the HP software will only detect the HP monitor via usb if i run the software and hook it up to a computer with 32bit windows. What a pain!!! was there any workaround for this?

My 2480 has 12,800hrs on it btw....lol....

Then again, I am also still using an HP LP3065 from 2006 so.....

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
success!!! The $25 colorimeter saved the monitor. well over 12,800 hrs used and after calibration, it looks great!
would i be able to use that probe with other x-rite software to calibrate other monitors?

Reactions: XoR_
like this

You have two options:

re 1. This is expensive solution unless you can find cheap used probe. I have both types of probes and they perform very similarly so it doesn't matter which.
New probe is quite expensive though so maybe not preferred solution unless you actually need high color precision - and this monitor can definitely deliver !
i1 Display 2/Pro from HP is exactly the same hardware but has different firmware. Maybe there is some way to flash firmware on regular i1 Display's and if there is then those regulars should be much cheaper.
If you find a way to dump/change firmwares on these probes and need reference HP firmware then please contact me. I have both probe types.

re 2. Follow discussion at http://nookkin.com/articles/diy/fix...ndoc#comment_618199d61f60e0076338e1f5f9b63310
Imho for 60 bucks you can give it a shot and fix it.
The design flaw is of LG, not HP by the way. I had LG model with the same panel W2420R and it had the same issues.

And they going pink is actually the best "feature" of these monitors 🤗
I got three such DreamColors and before that LG with the same panel for the price that was lower than I could get any professional monitor. That estimation also include me getting HP probe which was the most expensive item but at the end of the day I can use to calibrate all my displays.

BTW. 2475w is wide gamut monitor without sRGB emulation, with CCFL lamps, hard coating and yesterday's IPS contrast ratio. In no way it compares to RGB-LED panel used in LP2480zx (which can change white-point and black-point by backlight thus calibration never reduce contrast ratio) and keep in mind there is A-TW polarizer so it have better viewing angles than almost everything on the market. I haven't yet seen any monitor with better image quality. There are monitors with better image quality for sure but not normal consumer models. For desktop and videos those are excellent monitors, especially since you can also use them at 48 and 50Hz and motion on them seems to be better than other monitors. I would even say that this is the most pleasant and least tiring to look at backlight type and industry not using it is absolutely ridiculous.
Hello sir sorry to bring this issue again, i have also two monitors like these, and i can't calibrate them internally! it has been really frustrating i purchased the EODIS3 and it helped on the software level calibration using calibrite, but nothing on the internal 1d luts, i read this blog a few months ago and i purchased an HP advanced profiling solution hardware, but still no luck on calibration via the hp software, thanks in advance and hopefully you can help me out :) (i'm stuck at HP Dreamcolor APS software saying there is no usb hp calibration hardware connected)

Hello sir sorry to bring this issue again, i have also two monitors like these, and i can't calibrate them internally! it has been really frustrating i purchased the EODIS3 and it helped on the software level calibration using calibrite, but nothing on the internal 1d luts, i read this blog a few months ago and i purchased an HP advanced profiling solution hardware, but still no luck on calibration via the hp software, thanks in advance and hopefully you can help me out :) (i'm stuck at HP Dreamcolor APS software saying there is no usb hp calibration hardware connected)
This software is very finnicky and I remember having issues as well.
Unfortunately my memory of this isn't very good because I just fiddled with things until it worked and then because it looked correct ever since I forgot about the whole topic. I didn't need to redo calibration again.

I did however two batches of calibration on different computers, different monitors and even different models of HP probes.

If my fleeing memory is correct I most probably had to use integrated Intel GPU. I think I had Radeon first time and GeForce second time. Not sure if it was DP or DVI or HDMI or if that made a difference. I definitely didn't calibrate using HDMI port on monitor. Normally I used either DP or passive DVI to HDMI converter plugged in to DVI port on monitor. I am not sure if its this HP monitor or it was LG W2420R (has the same panel so very similar overall) but one or both of them didn't work all that well through HDMI ports and it is actually not that rare for monitor with HDMI and other ports to have different scaler and settings for HDMI. In either case best to use DisplayPort as it supports 10bpp mode.

Operating system-wide I used were Windows 7 first time around but second time I most definitely used Windows 10 so it should probably not make any difference - at least for as long as probe drivers installed correctly. I don't remember having to install monitor drivers and while I remember clicking in device manager a lot I do not think drivers were the culprit of the issues.

Where it comes to USB you definitely need to connect monitor to USB. I guess I always connected calibration probe to monitor's USB ports. You might need to try to connect to different port on the computer. I'd hesitate to recommend different cable BUT I did have USB issue once when upgrading firmware on some device so if anything its worth checking different USB A to B cable as well.

------------
tl;dr
Actually I have two HP LP2480zx on me with one which I got recently still needing calibration so I might just as well try to calibrate it and see if it works and check what works.
Currently I have Radeon 6900XT, no integrated Intel GPU and Windows 11 on my main PC. If it doesn't work I will try to resolve it using different computer.

I should report back soon.

ps. Which probe type do you have?
a)
tm_0904lp12.jpg

or
b)
alibration-solution-b1f63aa-b-h-photo-video-246978.jpg

?

Back