HP LP2475W vs. Planar PX2611W

Ignoring the difference in size and number/type of inputs, how do the HP LP2475W and Planar PX2611W monitors compare to each other? Specifically, I'm interested in text clarity and input lag/response time. I've seen it mentioned that the HP uses a "newer" IPS panel; is there any noticeable difference?

The monitor would mostly be used for software development (e.g. color-coded text editing) with some gaming thrown in from PC, Xbox 360, and PS3, and an occasional movie. Wide gamut is not an issue for me; I would not be using the monitor for any color-sensitive work. I've seen the DS-263n in person and I would not have even noticed any saturation if I had not previously read about that monitor on this forum.

In other words, is it worth spending the extra ~$200 on the 26" Planar over the 24" HP?

Thanks!

The Planar has a lower color gamut (92% vs. 102%) so any oversaturation probably won't be as pronounced. I think the Planar has slightly lower response time + input lag, and less quality control concerns than the HP. 1:1 pixel mapping performance seems to be the same between them.

On the flipside, the Planar has an anemic number of inputs (only 1 x DVI-I w/ HDCP, and 1 x VGA) compared to the HP. So you'd have to hook up a receiver or DVI/HDMI switch to it if you're going to plug in your PC and those consoles.

In terms of conveinience, the HP is better. In terms of performance, I think the Planar is better.

The Planar PX2611W has a know color banding issues when playing console games @ 1080i/p.

There is no such color banding issues at all when playing PC games at native resolution though.

It is the limitation of the signal processor, not he panel itself since the NEC LCD2690WUXi uses the same H-IPS panel as the Planar, but has no color banding issue whatsoever when playing console games at 1080i/p.

Back